Seasons of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyofVision

Puritan Board Freshman
So, I've been doing some thinking.

Do you ever ponder how some people who were so important to you at one time, are no longer apart of your life? You shared seasons of life and growth with them and now, all that's left are memories.

It somehow led me to the thought of divorce. My old boss is in the middle of a terrible divorce. He had been married for 8 years and now fighting for his kids. I'm just wrapping my head around the fact that, say for example, you have been married to someone for that long and then one morning, there is nothing left. You carry Around all these memories and experiences with this person, but they are no longer with you.

Even friendships. I remember back in college, I had about two really good "best" friends. I understand that as time goes on, you move on and grow with a family of your own, but, now I hardly ever even talk to them.

Do you believe that the Lord puts certain individuals in your life for a time being with a purpose?

It has really encouraged me to strive to become more like Christ with whomever I meet. If we are only to be in someone's life for a season, I want to be a blessing to them. I want to motivate and strengthen them in their faith.

You can only be close friends with a relatively small number of people at a time, because of our finitude and because of time constraints, anyway. So that is one reason why we do not/ cannot keep up all our old friendships in the same way. There is nothing wrong with this, it is just our finitude.

Maybe there are occasionally times when there is some kind of moral turpitude on our part in not keeping in touch with a friend, dropping them, or avoiding them.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

You can only be close friends with a relatively small number of people at a time, because of our finitude and because of time constraints, anyway.

I have one friend (besides my wife) who has been faithful to me for almost 25 years. We speak on the phone about twice a week (normally he calls me) for over an hour or more. But it is only recently that I have really appreciated his friendship. Twenty-five years is a long time. It is a very precious thing I have. Don't take friendship like this for granted.

Last edited:
The Puritans would hold that a friend is yourself in another skin. We are passing through an age when friendship is at a premium. So to have a real loyal friend who sticks with you through the summer and winter of your experience is a great blessing. A brother is born for the time of adversity. But all contacts must be providential otherwise they would not have occurred. Even contact with an opposer or reviler has a sovereign intention and purpose. For us it is an opportunity, for the Lord it works out His sovereignty.

Yes, that is exactly my point. It seems as if nothing is cherished anymore and is almost, in a way, disposable. Very sad.

Yes, that is exactly my point. It seems as if nothing is cherished anymore and is almost, in a way, disposable. Very sad.

100 or so years ago people often were born and died in the same near vicinity, which made keeping in touch in a living way, easier.

I wonder how many close friends our Lord had. He seemed to be particularly close to James, John and Peter, among the Twelve, and also Mary, Martha and Lazarus.

There would have been many among the 500 whom - in His humanity - He may have wanted to spend longer with, but it was not possible.

"Do you ever ponder how some people who were so important to you at one time"

They are still important to me, and I sincerely grieve people I "lost" decades ago. Many of my friends became strangers or enemies when I was converted. This was a very tough loss. I don't handle the loss of friends well. It still hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back