Second great Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ Spencer

Puritan Board Freshman
I have always believed that the second great awakening was not an actual awakening. It seems as though a majority of "Christian cults" arose out of this so called awakening. I have read JMac saying similar things, he uses the criteria that John Edwards used to defend the first great awakening as proof that the second one was not Christian in nature. This is not to say that there weren't some good preachers out there, they just weren't in the majority.
I was wondering if there was an actual book on the subject?

Last edited:
I have always believed that the second great awakening was not an actual awakening. It seems as though a majority of "Christian cults" arose out of this so called awakening. I have read JMac saying similar things, he uses the criteria that John Edwards used to defend the first great awakening as proof that the second one was not Christian in nature. This is not to say that there wasn't some good preachers out there, they just weren't in the majority.
I was wondering if there was an actual book on the subject?
The Democratization of American Christianity by Nathan O. Hatch.

Also maybe Revival and Revivalism by Ian Murray- it’s been a while since I’ve read it but pretty sure it deals with the 2nd GA.

Revival and Revivalism by Ian Murray
I second this. Iain's book is excellent and shows that Edwards believed in revival as a God centered work and that later revivalists such as Charles Finney took a man centered approach to revival. This truth is quite relevant to any discussion on the Great Awakening.

Just checking Mr Spencer, is there any reason why you put this in the Updates and Information forum?

I second this. Iain's book is excellent and shows that Edwards believed in revival as a God centered work and that later revivalists such as Charles Finney took a man centered approach to revival. This truth is quite relevant to any discussion on the Great Awakening.

Just checking Mr Spencer, is there any reason why you put this in the Updates and Information forum?

I was seeking information... I wasn't sure where else to put it. I could have placed it in the General Discussion forum.

I was seeking information... I wasn't sure where else to put it. I could have placed it in the General Discussion forum.
No problems. The Updates and Information Forum is the forum to find updates and ask questions about the Puritan Board itself, not so much about books. I will move it to the Church History Forum given this is a discussion on the Great Awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back