Second sermon on Sunday Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

brymaes

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was thinking about replacing our church's adult Sunday School time with a second sermon. It would be something like this after the service:

Reading from Heidelberg Catechism (the appropriate Lord's Day)
Hymn
Sermon on a text relating to the catechism

I thought this might foster a closer connection between the service of worship and the Sunday School, and would help me stay organized and on topic (I tend to ramble when I "teach" rather than preach)

Any thoughts?

I personally think that two sermons in such close proximity may be too much for people to grasp and properly contemplate.

If you thought that Sunday school had to be replaced, I would instead have it after the worship service, and then have a time when the congregants could ask you follos up questions about the sermon.

The church I attend when in Taipei has services with effectively 3 sermons in succession between 10:30am and 3:00pm:

1) The regular sermon on a Biblical text;
2) A sermon relating to a section of Calvin's Institutes; and
3) A sermon relating to a text of the Heidelberg catechism.

Of course, this church is small enough that there would not be separate Sunday School classes at any rate.

That is also a different culture. Asian culture is much different than the American culture, positively and negatively.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Romans922]

Originally posted by fredtgreco
If you thought that Sunday school had to be replaced, I would instead have it after the worship service, and then have a time when the congregants could ask you follos up questions about the sermon.

Excellent idea!

Originally posted by Jie-Huli
The church I attend when in Taipei has services with effectively 3 sermons in succession between 10:30am and 3:00pm:

1) The regular sermon on a Biblical text;
2) A sermon relating to a section of Calvin's Institutes; and
3) A sermon relating to a text of the Heidelberg catechism.

Of course, this church is small enough that there would not be separate Sunday School classes at any rate.

That's similar to how our church proceeds too, 9:30 London Confession, 11:00 regular expository sermon, currently in Romans, 5:00, general prayer and another expositional sermon, also usually part of an ongoing series but occasionally on a relevant topic.

Vic

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back