Seeking wisdom/advice about educating oneself from home via books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Greetings,

I am seeking some wisdom, advice, etc. in the area of furthering one's education at home, in a purely informal manner. I have no intentions of entering into the scholarly world; any studies I undertake are purely by my own volition, and hopefully will benefit not only myself, but my family and church as well.

I am 27 years old, married (17 months), and without children as of yet. My early twenties were spent in both blue-collar work, as well as a couple years of university. The path of university did not work out for me--not because of inability, but because of God's providential dealings--and therefore I have continued down the blue-collar route. What I am trying to say is that, while I am by no means a well-educated man, I am not a total stranger to the world of books and learning. Indeed, reading is one of my favourite activities to this day.

This passion for reading, and a deep desire to learn, have been growing in me over the last several years, but alas, without a rudder the ship cannot reach its course. I know that I want to learn 'things,' but deciding exactly what to pursue, and how to pursue it, is where I need help.

Recently, I have been reading Mortimer J. Adler's How to Read a Book, and it has convinced me that I would benefit most by learning how to read better before I do anything else. I consider myself a 'good' reader, but certainly not good enough to tackle the vaguely defined mountain before me.

What questions should I ask myself as I move forward? In light of eternity and my short lifespan, what is actually worth pursuing, and what is merely tickling my fancy? Is Greek history worth the time for a man like myself? Is poetry? Should I stick with Christian authors? Should I focus on a wide variety so as to be able to better teach children one day? Is a deep, narrower focus more profitable for a part-time scholar? etc. etc. etc.

I am interested most in theology and history, with things such as Shakespeare, poetry, and old fiction also being of some interest.

I know that a simple "Do this:" answer is not possible, but I would very much appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

My background has some similarities to yours. What I have found is that one book leads to another. If you pay attention to who else is mentioned, you will start to get a feel for important authors, whether in the areas of history, theology, or literature. And if you follow up on that, you can sometimes discover forgotten treasures.

I think it's important to realize and not get too frustrated about the fact that there is no way one could read everything possible. So you need some discipline and setting of priorities; but it's also important to enjoy the reading, and not feel too badly about neglecting some supposedly essential work if it is just not working for you.

You speak English, so Shakespeare should be a given, as also Samuel Johnson. Poetry is definitely worth pursuing, though there is of course lots of worthless poetry. For theology, it's good to start with the confessions, move up to a compendium, and then get into a larger work. For instance you could read the Westminster Standards, then Robert Shaw's Exposition of the Confession, then John Brown's Systematic Theology and then get onto Herman Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics. For history, the books in the Penguin History of the Church are enjoyable to read. Reading widely helps you to read better, even if it sometimes comes at the cost of adding another volume on the same subject.

For theology, it's good to start with the confessions, move up to a compendium, and then get into a larger work.

:up:

And I might add that the Heidelberg Catechism is a wonderful starting place, too. Ursinus, its primary author, wrote a wonderful commentary on the confession as well. It's well worth the time.

Good start, thank you. Looking at these recommendations, a very broad, liberal arts type of reading is thought to be beneficial to someone in my situation? I am wrestling with whether or not such a broad spectrum is the best thing to study for someone who isn't a full-time student. Perhaps I need to think of it as a life-long process?

Good start, thank you. Looking at these recommendations, a very broad, liberal arts type of reading is thought to be beneficial to someone in my situation? I am wrestling with whether or not such a broad spectrum is the best thing to study for someone who isn't a full-time student. Perhaps I need to think of it as a life-long process?

I think reading widely is beneficial, but I don't think you need to feel compelled to read a little bit of everything just because. As someone who is studying under your own steam, you should enjoy the liberty of pursuing what catches your interest. If that means you pursue the history of physics to the exclusion of economics, by all means fire away.

I've read a good amount of the books collected in the Harvard Classics and while I recognize their historical significance, yet I question whether they are actually beneficial to read.

What are you interested in reading? Read that. You'll find your "must reads" list as you start to explore. And with a few exceptions, I think you'll find it more interesting than just following a list that someone else thinks you should read.

Historical Theology by William Cunningham is very good. Very enlightening.

The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Scougal is one of my favorites. Short but intensely moving!

Economy of the Covenants by Witsius was also an excellent overview of theology in a covenantal framework.

Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Burroughs is very edifying.

Works of John Owen, vol. 6 is excellent.

Flavel's Touchstone of Sincerity is a must read.

My personal favorites from the small amount of Christian literature that I've read.

Essentially there are two things being prescribed:

1. Read through a list of books that are generally held in high esteem; or,
2. Read whatever interests me.

I need to move backward one step from this point, and figure out what my goals as a Christian man should be in this, and what should be determining how and what I choose to pursue. It was mentioned above that not all of these books should be read. If true, and I believe it is, that will change everything about what I end up doing. I would love to be able to do an in-depth reading of every important book ever written in Western culture, but that is an impossibility. So how does a layman choose what is worth the time and effort? How does a Christian choose?

Up until this point I have left my book choosing up to mere interest, and it has been neither productive, nor a God-honouring use of resources. I obviously need some type of reading plan, which is rooted in sound wisdom. That is what I am hoping to find here.

Thank you for your interest in this thread, brothers. Please keep posting.

So how does a layman choose what is worth the time and effort? How does a Christian choose?

What interests you? One advantage of the broad exposure is that you do get exposed to a variety of items, some of which may pique your interest, and some of which will prove so boring that you'll move to something else after a few dozen pages. The advantage of the Harvard Classics, as Rich has pointed out, is that they are all public domain and should be mostly, if not completely, available for free.

If you already have an interest, start there. And if your interest isn't theology, don't just read the Puritans because you think you should.

Essentially there are two things being prescribed:

I need to move backward one step from this point, and figure out what my goals as a Christian man should be in this, and what should be determining how and what I choose to pursue. It was mentioned above that not all of these books should be read. If true, and I believe it is, that will change everything about what I end up doing. I would love to be able to do an in-depth reading of every important book ever written in Western culture, but that is an impossibility. So how does a layman choose what is worth the time and effort? How does a Christian choose?

Up until this point I have left my book choosing up to mere interest, and it has been neither productive, nor a God-honouring use of resources. I obviously need some type of reading plan, which is rooted in sound wisdom. That is what I am hoping to find here.

Thank you for your interest in this thread, brothers. Please keep posting.

Reading the Bible is always worthwhile. 2 Timothy 3:16 describes the usefulness of the word of God.
Read books that will help you to understand the Bible better.
Read books that will help you get to know God better.
Read books that are edifying and that will help you to be more like Christ.
If more knowledge is needed for your career, then read books related to your career.

There is nothing wrong with reading the classics. This book gives an overview of the classics: http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Cl...63&sr=1-2&keywords=invitation+to+the+classics

You can read it to see which classic work you would be interested in.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of formal education, most of what I do have has been gotten from reading widely. About five years ago I decided I had done enough reading of a secular nature and, not knowing how much time I have left, I would pursue the study of the Bible, and of books about the Bible.

Joel Beeke's and Randall Pederson's 'Meet The Puritans' has been a very good source for an overview of who the leading Puritans were, what they wrote, and which editions of their writings are currently available. Aside from the Puritans I've been blessed by reading many sermons by Martyn Lloyd-Jones, works of Jonathan Edwards, Robert Murray M'Cheyne among others.

If you continue to peruse this forum you will be informed and influenced on who, and on what to read from a Christian perspective. At least that has been my experience.

I think you can balance that. Start with books that are profoundly important, and read in a disciplined manner on that list. But as you make progress, some things will catch your eye more than others, and books on a particular topic will lead you to others that are similar. Then you can more and more follow that line of inquiry that is of interest too you, while continuing to make steady progress on the broader list. If something on the list is just dull, drop it and move on.

Reading the Bible is always worthwhile. 2 Timothy 3:16 describes the usefulness of the word of God.
If more knowledge is needed for your career, then read books related to your career.

I don't have a lot of formal education, most of what I do have has been gotten from reading widely. About five years ago I decided I had done enough reading of a secular nature and, not knowing how much time I have left, I would pursue the study of the Bible, and of books about the Bible.

Joel Beeke's and Randall Pederson's 'Meet The Puritans' has been a very good source for an overview of who the leading Puritans were, what they wrote, and which editions of their writings are currently available. Aside from the Puritans I've been blessed by reading many sermons by Martyn Lloyd-Jones, works of Jonathan Edwards, Robert Murray M'Cheyne among others.

If you continue to peruse this forum you will be informed and influenced on who, and on what to read from a Christian perspective. At least that has been my experience.

The more I have been thinking about this today, the more I am leaning in this direction. I am really beginning to see this as a moral issue for myself. The only reasons I can come up with for why I really want to pursue a self-taught education are sinful at worst, and trivial at best. I am never going to be a scholar, and it is most likely pride making me want to act like one. Being well-read is not important in and of itself, and the strengthened mental abilities that would develop in the process don't have to come from these types of books. Additionally, my career is never going to rely on this knowledge.

I don't mean to say that learning anything is necessarily sinful. But when I look at my life, how much free time I have to use, how much Biblical knowledge and sanctification I don't have, well, I cannot with a clear conscience justify spending the time reading the many subjects that I do indeed find interesting. If I were set my library alight, and only save a handful of Christian books from the flames, I would probably be better off than I am now with all the distractions. I do want to read Lord of the Rings again one day though, so I won't do that.

With all things that fall under the umbrella of 'Christian liberty,' I think it best for me to see how hard I can run after Christ, as opposed to how far I can go in my liberty without sinning.

With all that said, I still need advice and wisdom in this area. Some have mentioned above about a good approach to theology (confessions, etc.). I have often spread myself too thin here as well. How do you organize, plan, decide, etc. what you pursue in edifying, Christian literature? I have a decent amount of theology, practical, commentary, and church history books on my shelf. Should I make a plan, or just pray, grab a good one, and read it?

The more I have been thinking about this today, the more I am leaning in this direction. I am really beginning to see this as a moral issue for myself. The only reasons I can come up with for why I really want to pursue a self-taught education are sinful at worst, and trivial at best. I am never going to be a scholar, and it is most likely pride making me want to act like one. Being well-read is not important in and of itself, and the strengthened mental abilities that would develop in the process don't have to come from these types of books. Additionally, my career is never going to rely on this knowledge.

I don't mean to say that learning anything is necessarily sinful. But when I look at my life, how much free time I have to use, how much Biblical knowledge and sanctification I don't have, well, I cannot with a clear conscience justify spending the time reading the many subjects that I do indeed find interesting. If I were set my library alight, and only save a handful of Christian books from the flames, I would probably be better off than I am now with all the distractions. I do want to read Lord of the Rings again one day though, so I won't do that.

With all things that fall under the umbrella of 'Christian liberty,' I think it best for me to see how hard I can run after Christ, as opposed to how far I can go in my liberty without sinning.

I have had similar feelings as to the 'moral issue'. At some point in my life I asked myself what could be more important than knowing God through His Word ? I began to find it difficult to waste valuable time watching TV, films, reading secular material. I could no longer enjoy those things, as I felt they took me away from things eternal, to things temporal. Perhaps there is a balance, but at present I haven't watched a film, or turned on the TV in years. Perhaps it is equivalent to meat sacrificed to idols. All things legal, but not all things are expedient. Also you are 27 with many years ahead of you Lord willing. I am 67 so I need to be a good steward of the time remaining.

I disagree as to the self taught education being sinful at worst and trivial at best. It is certainly possible to seek learning for vain glory, but putting off the old man with his deeds in all areas is a necessary pursuit, not only in fleshly lusts. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I read this forum and see the level of scholarship of a majority of the members I'm humbled, certainly not in any danger of being 'puffed up.'

With all that said, I still need advice and wisdom in this area. Some have mentioned above about a good approach to theology (confessions, etc.). I have often spread myself too thin here as well. How do you organize, plan, decide, etc. what you pursue in edifying, Christian literature? I have a decent amount of theology, practical, commentary, and church history books on my shelf. Should I make a plan, or just pray, grab a good one, and read it?

I have also struggled with this issue. I don't know how many books I've started, bookmarked and set aside, to begin another. I actually started a thread on the topic some time ago, How Many Books Do You Read At A Time ?

I still bounce back and forth between a few, but I've resolved to finish what I started before moving on to the next, with a limit of three at a time. Morning, afternoon, and evening reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back