Self-Defense v. Martyrdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenChosen

Puritan Board Freshman
This is a question that has been weighing on my mind recently. I discussed it with a campus minister at the RUF summer conference and I think I have my opinion, but I was curious as to what your thoughts are.

Keep in mind this is hypothetical.

Suppose in 20 years, Christianity (and not nominal Christianity, but Scripture-believing/applying Christianity) becomes such a hated religion that the government would turn its eyes from violence towards those who bear the name of Christ. In fact, our religion is so hated that the government encourages murder.

Suppose you also have a family, and a means to protect them. If you knew someone was coming to take your life and the lives of your family would you defend your family?

I believe I would defend my family in such situations as some hooligan breaking into my house, but I think that if a slaughter of Christians became encouraged I would talk with my family about the issue, make the events about to unfold clear with my children, and leave. I do not think that if someone came to kill me because I was a Christian that I would defend myself.

What are your thoughts?

If we are NOT talking about simple self defense agains a min

If it were possible to flee or hide I would do so. In order to obey the 6th commandment, I would do what I could to protect 1st, my children; 2nd my wife (Prov. 22:3; 27:12).

But do we [u:8f8ec9e69f]ever[/u:8f8ec9e69f] hold back the natural instinct to self preservation, or even family/loved one preservation? I think this is [i:8f8ec9e69f]exactly[/i:8f8ec9e69f] what Scripture calls for when we are persecuted for righteousness sake (Mt. 5:11-12). That is, when we are hated and condemned for Jesus name, when we are counted worthy of suffering for his name (Acts 5:41; 1 Pet. 4:12ff; Phil. 3:10. If someone wanted to hurt or even kill me [i:8f8ec9e69f][b:8f8ec9e69f]because I am a follower of Jesus[/b:8f8ec9e69f][/i:8f8ec9e69f] then I have a biblical obligation to follow my Lord to the cross, without hesitation. I think my wife would agree. Meanwhile, if the children were too young to make a willful commitment with us, I would go to desperate lengths to save their lives (short of killing or disobeying God). I would entrust our end into the hands of him who judges justly (1 Pet. 2:23).

What do you think?

Bruce,

Nice name for the board, I like it. I really like the way you phrased your answer.

I left that out. I think our children need to know what's going on in a situation like that before we can ask them to give their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back