Selling the Things of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickipicki123

Puritan Board Freshman
I heard it argued that it is sinful to sell T-Shirts and other things that have Bible verses on them because this is "making a profit off of the things of God". The person made a distinction between this and selling Bibles, because he admitted that it does cost money to produce a Bible, and Bibles are necessities, so it's OK (in his mind) to charge money for a Bible.

But cups, shirts, etc with Bible verses are apparently akin to the moneychangers in the temple. Do you think that Jesus would go into Lifeway or Hobby Lobby and turn over shelves (containing non-heretical merchandise)? Is selling a Bible verse cup "selling the things of God"? Is it wrong?

I thought the point [of the temple cleaning] was something to what this article details, that it was about the corrupt system and the impact of worship: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/J esus-cleanses-temple/.

I do not see how merchandise that has scripture is the same thing. And I do not see the sinfulness of it, unless there is some 2nd commandment violation. Maybe if you say it trivializes God, it is a 3rd commandment violation?

I think it would be helpful to know more on how this person connects merchandising (cue Spaceballs reference) with cleaning the temple, to more directly address this individual's concern.

Much Christian kitsch in our culture is borderline blasphemous or edges up to violating the second or third commandments, if not going over the edge. But it is not wrong in itself to have a coffee mug with a Bible verse on it, nor to sell such a mug for a reasonable profit. The problem is in our approach to such items. Too often, we treat them...

...too flippantly, as if they make pious-looking decorations or statements about our faith, when all the while we never really reflect on what God is saying (third commandment violation).

...too reverently, as if they were some sort of talisman, the mere presence of which strengthens our faith or imparts some sense of God's blessing (second commandment violation).

...both too flippantly and too reverently at the same time!

So we should be thoughtful and careful, and probably practice moderation, in how we produce, sell, and use Bible-verse trinkets. I would not want to be a big manufacturer of such items—not because I don't want to make money off Bible reminders, but because I don't want to make money off Bible misuse. At the same time, it is good to put God's commands on our doorposts, etc. They can provide a helpful focus as we go through life, if our approach is right.

And there's nothing wrong with the laborer who produces good Bible reminders getting a fair return. It is not (should not be, anyway) the same thing as peddling the gospel for profit. Unless you think a mug with a Bible verse is the same thing as gospel preaching, it should be fine to sell the mug. Perhaps the problem is that some folks think it is the same thing.

I agree that this wouldn't be wrong. But I would say principles like genorosity and other virtues should be exemplified in every way.

Everybody knows that the materials used for making Bibles costs money, but the materials for making other merchandise is free of cost...

:scratch:

Honest questions here....Were all the money changers sinning when Jesus overturned the tables and drove them out? Or was the practice of such simply wrong because of where they practiced their business?

Honest questions here....Were all the money changers sinning when Jesus overturned the tables and drove them out? Or was the practice of such simply wrong because of where they practiced their business?

I think Jesus' comment suggests it was both. They had made a house of prayer into a den of thieves. It was the wrong place, certainly. But it's likely they also were taking advantage of travelers who had limited options.

Were all the money changers sinning when Jesus overturned the tables and drove them out?

Calvin suggests that the issues were 1) the location and 2) the dishonesty:

nothing was more at variance with the majesty of the temple, than that a market should be erected there for selling goods, or that bankers should sit there for matters connected with exchange, this profanation was not to be endured. And Christ inveighed against it the more sharply, because it was well known that this custom had been introduced by the avarice of the priests for the sake of dishonest gain. For as one who enters a market well-stocked with various kinds of merchandise, though he does not intend to make a purchase, yet, in consequence of being attracted by what he sees, changes his mind, so the priests spread nets in order to obtain offerings, that they might trick every person out of some gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back