Seminaries Matched with their Systematic Theology Book used

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Union Theological College, Belfast we used a number of select reading from different author on different Systematic categories. These included:

John Calvin (Institutes)
Martin Luther
Augustine
John Murray
Karl Barth
Emil Brunner
Henri Blocher
Thomas Torrance
P. T. Forsyth
And our own Systematic Prof, Stephen N. Williams.

At Union Theological College, Belfast we used a number of select reading from different author on different Systematic categories. These included:

John Calvin (Institutes)
Martin Luther
Augustine
John Murray
Karl Barth
Emil Brunner
Henri Blocher
Thomas Torrance
P. T. Forsyth

If you remember, how did you like Thomas Torrance?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

When I was at Talbot School of Theology in the early 1990s, the ST book required was James Montgomery Boice's Foundations of the Christian Faith (I think that's the title). Interesting, because Talbot was (and is) a Dispensational school. I think they may have changed books by now, though.

Indeed they have, Richard. When I was at Talbot/Biola (two years ago) the systematic theology classes required W. G. T. Shedd's Dogmatic Theology. I do believe this varied depending on your professor, though, because I saw Grudem's work a lot around campus.

Two significant upgrades! They'll use Shedd because the new edition was edited by Alan Gomes, a seminary faculty member there. I took a course or two from him, and thought he was great. They'll use Grudem because it's well-written (especially for students).

I was forced to read T.F. Torrance during college (my theo prof in college and later in seminary) was one of Torrance's doctoral students. It impressed me so much, I have never opened a Torrance book since.

I'm a student at Edinburg Theological Seminary (in South Texas) & I would say we use Calvins Institutes, Bavinck, & Berkhof, also Gordon Spykman's is occasionally referred to.

John Calvin (Institutes)
Martin Luther
Augustine
John Murray
Karl Barth
Emil Brunner
Henri Blocher
Thomas Torrance
P. T. Forsyth

If you remember, how did you like Thomas Torrance?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

We read sections from Torrance's 'Space, Time and Incarnation' and 'Space, Time and Resurrection'. Before I really grew in my knowledge of the Christian faith I held some views on eschatology and last things that were quite similar to Torrance (though I wouldn't have known that at the time). It was really interesting to read Torrance at theological college because I could see a well reasoned articulation of these views (though by that stage I had come to embrace the orthodox position as represented by the last chapter of the Westminster Confession).

So, here are the results so far...any corrections or additions?

Columbia Seminary
- Calvin

Covenant Seminary
- Buswell (2 Vol.) - 1963-1980's
- Calvin - late 1970's
- Hodge - 1980's ?
- Berkhof - late 1970's-1990's
- Bavinck (Dr. Williams - recent)
- Berkhof to Bavinck (Dr. Peterson - last sem.) also: Clowney, Ferguson, Maclead, Hoekma, Mathison, Calvin.
- WCF/WSC

Edinburg (S.Tex.)
- Calvin
- Bavinck
- Berkhof
- Gordon Spykman

Erskine
- Calvin + lecture notes

New Geneva (Spr.)
- Turretin

Northwest
- Turretin (3 Vol.)

Old Princeton Sem.
- Turretin
- Hodge (late 1800's)
- Barth (1900's)

Pittsburgh Sem. - (06-07)
- Barth
- Emil Brunner's Dogmatics
- Wolfhart Pannenberg's Sys. Theo.

PRTS
- Calvin
- Bavinck
- a 'Brakel

RPTS
- Robert Reymond
- Calvin
- Berkhof
- WSC

RTS (Orl., Virt.)
- Calvin
- Bavinck
- WSC

RTS (Jac.)
- Calvin
- Bavinck
- Berkhof
- Reymond
- WSC

SBTS
- Erickson
- Grudem
- Berkhof (Recommended)
- + Frame, Goldsworthy, Jensen, Hoekema, Macleod, Stott, Ferguson, Hammett, Schreiner, Wellum (Dr. Wellum)

Talbot
- Boice's Foundations of Christian Faith
- W.G.T. Shedd (two years ago, depends on Prof.)
- Grudem (depends on prof.)

TEDS
- Erickson
- Grudem

Union
- Select readings from Calvin, Luther, Augustine, Murray, Barth, Brunner, Blocher, Torrance, Forsyth (Prof. Williams)

Westminster
- Hodge ? (70's)
- Berkhof
- + Bavinck, Horton, Turretin, Calvin, Murray, WCF, TFU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back