Seminary Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsmcd

Puritan Board Freshman
When you are choosing/suggesting a seminary, how important is the quality of their library?

Much less important than a generation ago. Also, take into account other available resources.

When I took Systematic at Westminster Dallas, the folks over at Southwestern in Fort Worth were gracious in allowing me to use their library facilities for research on a paper; arrangements were in place giving access to DTS resources, as well. And I expect I could have gotten access to SMU's libraries as well.

Is this because of the vast array of resources available online?

I would use the broader 'electronically', but yes.

I suppose I should have qualified my initial statement, however. I was thinking of an M.Div. candidate tracking toward pastoral ministry. I suppose someone on an academic track might need greater access to materials which might not be digitized.

Unless the seminary library is woefully small, this is not as important as other matters. Relative to other seminaries, the library at the seminary I attend is small to average. Yet there are more resources available to me than are needed. Even on research papers, I am far more restricted by how much time I have to read on a topic than I am by how many resources I have. Typically, I gather a whole stack of books on a subject, and then have time to read only a fraction of them. So don't worry too much about it.

When you are choosing/suggesting a seminary, how important is the quality of their library?

Last edited:
I am far more restricted by how much time I have to read on a topic than I am by how many resources I have

Great point, I am finding this to be true even in my undergrad - then again all my classes are eight weeks long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back