Seminary Reading on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood-Bought Pilgrim

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hey All,
I’m in seminary currently, and one thing I’ve been wondering about is whether it’s permissible for me to read seminary-assigned books on the Sabbath. As a rule I refrain from doing any work or homework. I also am not considering reading technical works of biblical studies on Sunday or anything like that. However, some of the books I am assigned are spiritually enriching and are books I would consider “Sabbath-appropriate” anyway.

So is it alright for me to do “homework” by reading spiritually enriching books which I’m assigned for school, or does the fact that they are homework make that a violation?

Thanks for the input!

I read the stuff of God all week. When I was younger I thought I needed to show my devotion by doubling down and reading even more of the stuff of God on Sundays. Then I realized I don’t. I need to mentally unwind and recharge. So the Lords Day is a work day for me, and I do lots of work. But on my day off, my personal Sabbath, I do no reading. Not even the cereal box. One of my best decisions ever.

@NM_Presby

Quite a few of the guys I go to seminary with refrain from doing any sort of class related things on the Sabbath. I don't agree with it as a rule to be applied to all. If it's according to your conscience, like it is theirs, then don't do it. I have never been bothered by doing seminary things on the Sabbath. Our commute to church is a bit of a ways, and it is a good time for my wife to read to me while I drive. We pause for brief comments or discussion. It's been an enriching time for us both.

I will say that I won't do just any reading or work on the Lord's Day. If we're called to read and interact with a rank heretic or pagan for class, for example, then I'll refrain because I find that less suited for me on the Lord's Day. I've plenty of other days to read and interact with those resources.

I don't mean this to sound disparaging to other vocations or pursuits at all. The training for the ministry isn't like other vocations given the nature of the calling. If your calling is as a carpenter, then you ought to refrain from such work until the next day (unless it be something out of an emergent necessity). In fact, we would commend the carpenter for reading theological or expositional works on the Lord's Day especially. Should it be any less of a blessing for us because we will eventually write a paper related to what we are reading? I think not. Again, pray and consider your conscience.

So is it alright for me to do “homework” by reading spiritually enriching books which I’m assigned for school, or does the fact that they are homework make that a violation?
I would say if conscience is clear on the matter, it's perfectly acceptable. Read and be edified.

Spend time with your family on the Sabbath. And if single, I got to say you surely have more time than you need to not study on the Sabbath, But I say that not knowing your weekday responsibilities.

Let me ask, if "class things" included the Institutes of the Christian Religion, you would say, avoid reading that on the Sabbath day? Am I correct?
Yes if it assigned for class. Plenty of other godly books to read that aren’t assigned for seminary classes.

Get your seminary work done on the other 6 days. If I can work 3 jobs, go to seminary full time, be married, then I’m confident any other guy can too. If you can’t do it in seminary, ministry is not going to go too well.

I agree with Andrew. The class credit you would garner for the reading on the Lord's day is akin to payment.

But remember - the Sabbath restrictions aren't limited to that for which we receive payment (work), but also that which we simply want to do (recreation). So just reading something (call it "godly" call it "spiritual" call it whatever you like) but if you're reading it simply because you want to - then you're violating the strict Sabbath. If only works of mercy or necessity are permitted, what business have you to read anything but the Bible?

I think this is largely up to conscience. I found it was better to refrain from reading even my good theological homework reading on the Sabbath when I was in my undergraduate studies.

That said, I also find while lawful, the most profitable for me is not to do overly heavy theological reading on the Sabbath. My wife and I find biographies, church history, and the like are profitable to read together as we have time on the day.

This is my personal opinion, as someone who has never attended seminary: I would personally put your school books down. I believe that God has given you 6 days to do the work required to earn your degree, the 7th is to be a Sabbath - in it, do no work. Currently, your schooling is your vocation; therefore your vocation should be paused. I would give the same advice to someone attending school for business. Your books may be edifying but if they are assigned reading how can you separate the edification from the vocational aspect of reading them? Take the break that God has commanded you for your good. Read some other works, visit some saints, share a meal. Take a break.

But remember - the Sabbath restrictions aren't limited to that for which we receive payment (work), but also that which we simply want to do (recreation). So just reading something (call it "godly" call it "spiritual" call it whatever you like) but if you're reading it simply because you want to - then you're violating the strict Sabbath. If only works of mercy or necessity are permitted, what business have you to read anything but the Bible?

This is a misapplication of the recreation clause. Spiritual renewal is certainly permitted on the sabbath and is not at all what the divines had in mind when outlawing recreation.

This is a misapplication of the recreation clause. Spiritual renewal is certainly permitted on the sabbath and is not at all what the divines had in mind when outlawing recreation.
Ok, so one can engage in recreation as long as they're bookish and their idea of recreation is reading and their interests align with theological matters. Got it! But really I only mentioned it to point out that just because there might be an additional or external motivator providing some measure of a sense of obligation does not mean that it is wrong (even on the Lord's Day). If he wants to do seminary reading on Sunday, that's fine by me. Just I won't do it.

So I guess I'd simply ask: do you enjoy your seminary reading? Or is it more of a chore? If it's a taxing sort of laborious "assignment," then I'd suggest it is more properly categorized as "work" and I'd recommend abstaining. But if you genuinely enjoy it and find it invigorating, then it sounds like it is a good use of your time on the Lord's Day. For when duty is delight, what's the problem? Sounds to me like bliss!

Last edited:
I read my bible, but I also sometimes read sermons and systematic theologies or perhaps something like Octavius Winslow on the Holy Spirit. The goal is to increase my knowledge of God. I believe this is ok based on my reading of the confession.

I would not do something that is assigned to me though (homework). Work is right in the name.

Ok, so one can engage in recreation as long as they're bookish and their idea of recreation is reading and their interests align with theological matters. Got it! But really I only mentioned it to point out that just because there might be an additional or external motivator providing some measure of a sense of obligation does not mean that it is wrong (even on the Lord's Day). If he wants to do seminary reading on Sunday, that's fine by me. Just I won't do it.

So I guess I'd simply ask: do you enjoy your seminary reading? Or is it more of a chore? If it's a taxing sort of laborious "assignment," then I'd suggest it is more properly categorized as "work" and I'd recommend abstaining. But if you genuinely enjoy it and find it invigorating, then it sounds like it is a good use of your time on the Lord's Day. For when duty is delight, what's the problem? Sounds to me like bliss!
That’s a helpful distinction you make there.

Reading of spiritually profitable books has been understood as part of one's private religious exercises which are commanded on the Lord's Day. Some people may not be particularly avid readers but they are still encouraged to read such literature on the Sabbath. It reads to me that what is forbidden on the Sabbath is worldly recreation. The Larger Catechism seems to make this connection even clearer. Whereas the reading of spiritual books would be spiritual recreation. This, as well as spiritual conversation with Christians, is a very profitable way to spend the day.

I would tend to agree with those who argue that if a book has been set as coursework it should be put down on Sabbath, even if it is a book which another Christian would profitably read on the Sabbath. As a minister there is preparation done on the Sabbath but that is for the sermons to be preached (and the main work of that preparation would have been done during the week). But coursework is not preparation for sermons but for exams and essays. Many students, indeed, take services on Sabbath and so their focus should be on that rather than their coursework.

...perhaps read something in a different way...

We wouldn't give up reading the Bible on The Lord's Day because it has been assigned. I know that it is a cheap shot, but I've been here since '06 - you all know me.

How about just reading something devotionally instead of studying it? Be more extensive rather than intensive in your pursuits on The Lord's Day.

Generally speaking, my answer would be no. Would it be wrong to read Augustine's Confessions or Calvin's Institutes on the Lord's Day even if one had been assigned these texts in class? Perhaps not, but a little common sense usually goes a long way in dealing with these questions. The vast majority of assigned reading for a course is not going to be as edifying as either of these books and, as it constitutes the "work" of the other six days of the week, it ought to be laid aside on the Sabbath. Just because something is ostensibly religious work, it does not automatically make it appropriate for the Lord's Day. Even the building of the tabernacle was to cease for the Sabbath.

...perhaps read something in a different way...

We wouldn't give up reading the Bible on The Lord's Day because it has been assigned. I know that it is a cheap shot, but I've been here since '06 - you all know me.

How about just reading something devotionally instead of studying it? Be more extensive rather than intensive in your pursuits on The Lord's Day.

I had assigned Bible readings in Seminary. Such as - outline Genesis next week. There was the temptation to read through Genesis during the Lord's Day to better prepare for the work of outlining in the upcoming week. But I found it far more soul nourishing to read the Bible devotionally on the Sabbath for the sake of my soul than to "get ahead" for my schoolwork (which is really what that temptation was)... even though it was the Bible! I finally figured out how to maximize the Sabbath in Seminary and the blessings came when I put away all of my school work to focus on enjoying the Lord with no possible gain for school.

I would go back to the purpose of the Sabbath - a gift from God to man for rest from labors and time to worship. If your seminary reading does not provide the needed rest, I would say don't do it. If you wish to meditate deeper on something you've read or are going to read for the sake of your soul, go for it.

If I were doing it over, I would definitely give myself a hard break from anything that felt like work on Sundays to rest and recharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back