Seminary Time Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtlangst

Puritan Board Freshman
I was wanting to ask all of you who have BTDT in seminary. I am about to start the MDiv at SBTS via distance and going to summer and winter classes on campus. I am planning on taking 12 hours a semester via distance and then take 3 one week classes during the summer and then another 3 classes during winter until I am done. I would have about 27 hrs a week without weekends, which I could get another 2 hours or so if I had to. So my question is (and I know it all depends on the individual and his capabilities) in general would I be ok having 27 hrs a week to listen to 14 hrs of lecture and read, study, etc... Or am I not giving myself enough time?

Are you working full-time / part-time while studying? Are you involved in ministry as well? Are you married? All of those things affect whether this is workable.

I work full-time, teach a Bible study and sometimes Sunday School, spend time going to school games (I'm a teacher) with my wife, have a tiny bit of free time, am involved in a couple other ministries, and I take usually one class at a time. I did do 10 credits this past summer, but that's with no working. And I really can't handle much more than that. When I worked part-time and was single, I took 12-15 graduate credits on campus and was ok. But if you're married, are working significant hours, and are involved in ministry, I'd say lessen the load a bit. But it's hard to know without the specifics.

I am married, 2 kids, work on a fire dept. So I think I would be able to get 5 hrs a shift of study there. I am not in active ministry right now, I don't want to get overwhelmed. I have two days off from the fire dept. I work 24 hours and then am off 48 hours. One of those days I work 8 hours at a side job and one of the days I would have 8-9 hrs of study. So with on shift and my days off during the week it will come out to 27-30 hours a week. This is with not studying on the weekend at all unless I am at the firehouse. My hours break down to I work 10 shift days at the firehouse = 50 hours a month to study. I have on average 7 complete days off to devout 8-9 hrs of study 56 hours a month. This comes out to about 27-30 hours a week to watch 12 hrs of lecture plus study for those classes.

Well, on paper it sounds good. Having a job where you can study and having significant chunks of time off may make it all possible. So I would say it's possible, but don't be afraid to take a few less classes if you find that it is taking away from your family or is running you down.

I hope your studies go well!

I was under the impression that you could only have 30 hrs via distance learning. Did something change?

Also I took 9hrs at SWBTS and had a job that allowed me to study while on the job and did ok. It is possible, but it is easy to get behind and nearly impossible to catch up.

This is from SBTS website FAQ's about distance education

7. Can I earn an entire degree online?

No. Our accreditation standards and academic policies allow you earn up to 2/3 of a Master of Divinity degree through online courses (currently 59 hrs. for most M.Div. programs at Southern). You may earn up to 1/2 of other Master’s degrees online (the number of hours varies by program). Conversely, 1/3 of the M.Div. degree must be earned in residence and 1/2 of other Master’s degrees must be earned in residence. The seminary offers intensive courses in winter and summer terms, sometimes referred to as “D or J-terms”, to help students obtain their residency hours

I always followed the general rule of: every credit hour of class requires 3 hours per week of study. This worked well for me as a general guide in Undergrad work.

For Graduate Studies, full time is usually only 9 credit hours, whereas for undergrad, it's 12. That also has to be considered, and will up the rule to a bit.

Blessings!

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if things changed or I memorized the numbers backwards. Probably the latter. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back