Sermons 05/08/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
We heard a sermon Matthew 5:6-8 about the privilege of prayer. A part that stood out especially to me was the discussion of the identity that prayer presupposes or reveals. Christ teaches us to call on our Father who sees in secret - this is a family privilege that arises out of our identity as those adopted in Christ.

I am not normally one to give topical sermons, but since I finished my exposition of Hebrews last week, and since it was Mother's Day, I decided to preach on the last seven verses on Proverbs 31. I focused on how true virtue and beauty flow out of having a fear of the Lord.

My pastor preached a very lively sermon from Romans 1:18-32 speaking on Gods wrath, why it will be manifested, and how it is manifested. Preaching exegetically through the first three chapters of Romans is a pretty serious affair...

Ours was on the passage where "Jesus wept". Unfortunately this sermon was titled "When God weeps" and to tell you the truth I was mildly concerned because of the theological implications that most in our congregation really believe that God "weeps". What I was concerned with did not come to total fruition in that my Pastor did indeed connect Jesus weeping, though there was a thread of "God weeping" near the end without the qualification that it was only Jesus Who wept. Now of course I understand we are allowed and should use anthropomorphisms but to tell you the truth I have found not a one of the TE's I know personally here in Central Florida have thought about our confessions on the impassability of God beyond a when they took in school. What I find most troubling is what they are taught about this doctrine of God.

Other than that criticism I loved the message and believe we ought to think "as if" God weeps. Personally I take great comport knowing that God does not weep, nor do His saints in heaven, or Our Lord Jesus now.

Last edited:
The senior pastor continued the series on Psalms "The Lyrics of Knowing God" with a second sermon on Psalms 25.

I did not attend my home church yesterday, but instead worshiped with my folks at theirs. Pastor gave an excellent sermon on Mark 5:21-43. The sermon was titled "Fear and Faith in the Face of Death". This was part of a continuing exposition of the Gospel of Mark. The pastor ground the sermon in the greater context of the series and yet us visitors were not lost. Today I will listen to the podcast of my pastor's sermon. I'll comment on that later.

As our brother Bill notes above, I too am not given to topical preaching. However, I felt it wise to encourage our mothers and so preached from 2 Tim 1.1-5 on how biblical motherhood both obeys and orbits around the gospel. We had a number of unbelieving guests present and the Lord helped me to make plain who Jesus is. For that, I am thankful.

My home pastor continued in his series on Matthew in chapter 6 vs 16-18. It was a good sermon on fasting, marred only by a reference to Robert Foster and an unfortunate characterization of Israel's Babylonian captivity as a "time out".

My pastor preached his tenth sermon from his new series on the Book of Romans, on Romans 1.16-17, which is also the first of three sermons on this passage. Good stuff.

I am not normally one to give topical sermons, but since I finished my exposition of Hebrews last week, and since it was Mother's Day, I decided to preach on the last seven verses on Proverbs 31. I focused on how true virtue and beauty flow out of having a fear of the Lord.

I don't know if it's still common, but there was a time when women would get beaten almost to death with Mother's Day sermons on Proverbs 31. My late wife once told me that if she heard one more sermon from Proverbs 31 on that day she was going to scream. Wonderful passage, but much overdone.

I don't know if it's still common, but there was a time when women would get beaten almost to death with Mother's Day sermons on Proverbs 31. My late wife once told me that if she heard one more sermon from Proverbs 31 on that day she was going to scream. Wonderful passage, but much overdone.

I agree that it is overdone and often misapplied. It is for precisely this reason that I approached it from a different angle. I explained how his use of an acrostic format was intended to convey the idea of completion, so that the individual actions reported were less important than the motivation. The point is that fearing the Lord, and all that this entails, makes us complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back