Sermons: 07.19.09

Status
Not open for further replies.
As noted on my prayer request we attended a local UMC church after our car would not start. We heard a sermon that was tied into the recent UMC focus on ending world poverty. The text was Matthew's account of the feeding of the 5,000. We were told that we are called by Christ to end world hunger and that we needed to give money to the UMC to end world hunger.

Rae:

"That's what I was thinking!" [I'm surprised too]

Dr. Jack Collins brought the sermon today at The Covenant Presbyterian Church in St. Louis. Sermon text was Jeremiah 31:27-40

Order of Worship
Scripture for Reflection: Jer. 31:3-6
Prelude: Praise My Soul, the King of Heaven
Call to Worship - Jeremiah 31:35
Hymn of Adoration: Praise to the Lord Almighty [based on Ps. 103]
Invocation
Corporate Confession of Sin [adapted from "God the Source of All Good" in Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotion]
Silent Confession
Assurance of Pardon - from Jer. 31:3b, 34c
Hymn of Thanksgiving: O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go
Prayer of Intercession
Offeratory: Impromptu in G major, op. 90.
Hymn of Preparation: O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
Sermon: The "New" Covenant - Jeremiah 31:27-40
Hymn of Response: We Are God's People
Benediction
Postlude: "Fanfare" from Handel's Water Music

The pastor's sermon this morning was on Jacob's reunion with Esau and wrestling with God, Genesis 32:13-end.

As noted on my prayer request we attended a local UMC church after our car would not start. We heard a sermon that was tied into the recent UMC focus on ending world poverty. The text was Matthew's account of the feeding of the 5,000. We were told that we are called by Christ to end world hunger and that we needed to give money to the UMC to end world hunger.

Oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back