Sermons 08/07/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendanchatt

Puritan Board Freshman
Please share about the sermon(s) you heard at church this week...

I was visiting family and heard a sermon on the Sabbath based on Genesis 1 and also a passage from Luke 12. The focus was why it should be observed and how to think of it. The completion of creation and redemption were emphasized.

Our Associate Pastor delivered a sermon on Psalm 42 and the innate human need for spirituality.

I continued my series through our confession of faith with a sermon on the Holy Spirit. My text was Acts 2:14-21 where Peter quotes from Joel and indicates that this prophecy was fulfilled in the coming of the Holy Spirit. I sought to demonstrate how this prophecy had indeed been fulfilled and for what purpose God has given us spiritual gifts and what Pentecost ultimately pointed to. Fun stuff.

One of the assistant pastors continued the Summer series from Hebrews 11 with a message from verses 23-29 with reference to Gen. 15:13-14 and Ex. 2:1-10.

Just got word that the home church's sermons were on God first loving us, and hence we him (morning), and Luke 16 in the evening concerning good stewardship.

Brendan
OPC
Florida

Preached my AM sermon from Mk 6.7-13 on Jesus' commissioning of the 12. Began a new series for our PM worship on cultivating spiritual disciplines (based somewhat on Don Whitney's excellent book). Fun sermons to preach, and the Lord helped me in preaching them.

After PM worship, our church surprised me with a birthday cake (one I could actually eat! I have Celiac) and a stack of encouraging birthday cards. It was a great Lord's Day. God is so good.

Just got word that the home church's sermons were on God first loving us, and hence we him (morning), and Luke 16 in the evening concerning good stewardship.

Brendan
OPC
Florida
The morning sermon, on Luke 15, the prodigal son, a parable I've read and heard too many times to count. I learned some bits that had never occurred to me. The father's love is an image of God's love toward sinners. Examples of the shepherd who loses one sheep and leaves the other 99, the women who sweeps her whole house for the one piece of silver.

The younger son being reduced to working on a pig farm must have been particularly repugnant to a Hebrew man. The older son being a type of the Pharisee who cannot abide the grace shown to the younger, but juxtaposes his own works as deserving of the reward given to the younger ........ a fatted calf and a celebration.

The evening sermon, Luke 16, of the steward who, knowing he is to be dismissed, calls his masters debtors and gives them large percentages of credit on their debts to gain their favor, is one I've never quite understood, and still don't. I need to speak to Pastor Stanke about that to possibly clear up my confusion. :detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back