Sermons for 4/5/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
This thread is for discussing the sermons for April 5, 2009. Please add to it with comments about what you have preached on, or what your pastor preached on.

Lord willing, I will be starting the book of Philippians, and will preach on Philippians 1:1-2, Blueprint for the Church. For Sunday school, I will continue my class on the Holy Spirit (week 5 now) with a lesson on The Holy Spirit and Regeneration. In the evening, I will preach on Esther 5.

Can't wait to hear what Sermon will be read tomorrow as we do not have any Ordained Elders as of yet since we are a Mission. Looking forward with anticipation to the arrival of our NEW organizing Pastor in May. :)

I plan to preach on "A Surpassing Righteousness" from Matthew 5.20 in the morning, and in the afternoon, on the Covenant of Grace seen in the Old Testament in the Prophesies of the OT. (Galatians 3.15-18)

I too am preaching Philippians 1:1-2 (pm). Yoiks.

Also Prov.5 (am).

Youth S.S., Heidelberg LD 21

This morning continuing in chapter 16 of 1689 LBC "Good Works" for Sunday school.

As we continue in our series in Hebrews, I am preaching this morning on Hebrews 2:10-18 regarding Christ's rescue mission. In the evening I am continuing to work through Titus.

AM: Continuing through Exodus with 22:1–17, "The Laws for Restitution."

PM: Beginning a catechetical series through the Westminster Larger Catechism with 1 Peter 2:9 and Q&A 1, "Why Do I Exist?"

God is God!

While not often called upon, I do have the opportunity to address our congregation tonight. I don't title my opportunities. I will be introducing initially various scriptures that proclaim that God is God and there is no other, leading into Isa 44 and idols.

Luke 1:50 And his mercy [is] on them that fear him from generation to generation.

"Mary's Magnificent Message of Mercy" (I know, I know, but sometimes the alliteration is so good I can't help myself.)

I. The message of mercy
II. The reality of misery
III. The relief in Jesus Christ

AM: Continuing through Exodus with 22:1–17, "The Laws for Restitution."

PM: Beginning a catechetical series through the Westminster Larger Catechism with 1 Peter 2:9 and Q&A 1, "Why Do I Exist?"

Good for you, Danny! I love Reformed Ecumenicals!

I preached on the Bread of Life passage this morning: John 6:30-36. We also celebrated the Lord's Supper.

And I'm not discontinuing the series to preach an "Easter" sermon next week. The next section speaks of the resurrection ("... and I will raise him up on the last day"), so we're just going to go with that. :D

Our pastor is preaching through the gospel of John, and today the passage was John 3:1-15, the "born again" passage. It was wonderful, of course, learning once again that that we do not choose God, He chooses us and regenerates our hearts before we can begin to love and live for Him. We are in a relatively new church plant with most not being from a reformed background, so even these basic doctrines to us are new to many.

Our next passage will include John 3:16, but he also will not shift to an "Easter" sermon.

:oops: almost forgot: I'll be teaching on Galatians 1:6-10 this evening as I travel southward for the Burkesville Bible study.

During Sunday school the subject of the Lord's Day was brought up. I enjoyed this dialog. Our membership does not have a confessional view of the Lord's Day, so teaching them about it is a work in progress. We have to crawl before we can walk, right? Baby steps today, but progress made. Praise God.

Genesis 37 & 50: God's sovereignty in all of life...even evil, and how we are to rest in Him.

This morning: Matthew 26:36-46 "Jesus' Preparation for Death"

This afternoon: 1 Samuel 7; 1 Corinthians 1:22-31 - LD 6 "The Wisdom of God Given Redemption"

We are currently going through the book of Revelation and covered the letter to the church in Ephesus_Rev 2:1-7. Emphasis was on while having correct doctrine (orthodoxy) we must also have love. Often we can hammer out accurate doctrine in speaking to others all the while lacking a genuine love. This plays out in church discipline too where correction is to be done in meekness and humility. We need this while seeking to speak the truth to others. We can also have doctrinal accuracy but lack love towards God. This is played out in our love towards other in forgiveness of others as well as our being teachable by all means God would teach us, not just by those we admire. We are selectively teachable which lacks true humility in seeking integrity of understanding. I think I have ended up adding my own thoughts here too!

The nature of Christ's Kingdom. He dwelt on conquering through persuasion.

Update:

Here is the outline from this morning's sermon on Philippians 1:1-2, "Blueprint for the Church":

[FONT=&quot]I. People Changed by Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Saints[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. At Philippi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] C. In Christ[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]II. People Used by Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Paul the Servant
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]B. Overseers & Deacons[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C. All the Saints[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]III. People Caught Up in Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Living by Grace[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]B. Living for Christ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C. Living in Unity[/FONT]

Text: Heb 12:1-29

Sermon was by Robert Lotzer as read by an ordained RE in the OPC.

Didn't realize RE's weren't permitted to preach in the OPC but in any event the Sermon was regarding the Grace of God and how we have so many benefits from being in Christ why should we give them up for a meal like Esau who gave the Benefits of his Birthright for a Bowl of Lentil Soup. Why should we allow sexual immorality or anything take away the Blessings of being in Christ.

To begin Worship he read from the WSC Q 36

Q. 36. What are the benefits which in this life do accompany or flow from justification, adoption, and sanctification?

A. The benefits which in this life do accompany or flow from justification, adoption, and sanctification, are, assurance of God’s love,[100] peace of conscience,[101] joy in the Holy Ghost,[102] increase of grace,[103] and perseverance therein to the end.[104]

My Pastor preached from Romans 6:1-4 He preached on sanctification. Discussing the use of baptism in Christ and saying we are therefore identified in Christ.

The message was totally captivating and edifying. We had 1 adult baptism and the Lord`s supper as well. The Lord`s day was rich in grace for my family and I.

Woah, what are you people doing on the PB on the Lord's Day??? :)

I preached from Ephesians 2:1-3 (my first of two sermons on that) in the morning. I messed up and didn't hit the right button for recording. First time since I started recording... :)

Points for this were:
I. You are Totally Depraved
II. You Have a Great Savior

And then I preached from 1 Samuel 23:1-29 in the evening.

Points for this were:
I. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Encouragement
II. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Deliverance and Escape
III. Be Dependent on the Lord: He Brings Comfort and Confidence

Our sermon was on Revelation 19, and it was excellent - one of the most convicting and moving sermons I've heard in some time. The entire sermon unpacked the ramifications of God's desire to have a relationship with us that parallels human marriage. The three points in the sermon dealt with the 3 figures in the chapter:

I. The prostitute - the importance of understanding God's desire for intimacy with us also shows us how horrible our sin is to Him. Sin is referred to as "adulteries" in Chapter 19, and should help us understand that sin isn't merely breaking rules, it's effectively cheating on God. What we consider horrible betrayal in human marriage we do to God on a daily basis by not making Him our highest passion.

II. The Lamb - the only way for God to have the intimate relationship with us that He desires is through the spilled blood of Christ. Pastor Keller referred to Christ's miracle of turning water into wine, and how Jesus responded to Mary that His "hour had not yet come" when she approached Him. He says Christ was indicating that the ultimate, perfect wedding feast could only be possible through His death and resurrection.

III. The bride - in terms of practical application, we have to view marriage as a type of our relationship with God. It has a legal aspect (we're legally justified before God), it should be comprehensive and entail every part of our lives, and it should be deeply intimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back