Sermons For July 26, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
I had the blessing of worshipping with a new congregation today as the family and I went to Faith Reformed PCA in Fairmont, WV for the first time. Lovely congregation. We heard an edifying sermon from Ephesians 4:1 on Christian Unity and the Foundation of that Unity which is Christ and His Word. As it seems often to happen when visiting a new congregation we also celebrated the Lord's Supper.

What did you hear exposited today?

I had the blessing of worshipping with a new congregation today as the family and I went to Faith Reformed PCA in Fairmont, WV for the first time. Lovely congregation. We heard an edifying sermon from Ephesians 4:1 on Christian Unity and the Foundation of that Unity which is Christ and His Word. As it seems often to happen when visiting a new congregation we also celebrated the Lord's Supper.

What did you hear exposited today?

Happy for you Benjamin! We heard "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy from Mt. 5:7 which was the next installment in a series on the beatitudes.

Continuing the theme of the OP, we focused on Ephesians 6:10, "God's Might," in a continuation of our exposition of Ephesians the our first on the Armor of God.

1 Samuel 21:1-9

The illustration was from Oliver Cromwells quote “mr lely, i desire you would use all your skill to paint your picture truly like me, and not flatter me at all; but remark all these roughness, pimples, warts, and everything as you see me; otherwise i will never pay a farthing for it.”

Likewise, this scripture paints David, warts and all as we see his deception of the high priest. Jesus quotes this in Mark 2: 23-28. In this we see Jesus likening himself not unto David, but unto the high priest who shows grace unto David even in the midst of his transgressions, even to the point of death (Doeg the Edomite)

A terrifically edifying sermon which showcased the gospel gloriously.

Preached on Philippians 2:19-30, "Godly Examples: Serving Others"

Paul is resuming his "missionary report" after breaking off in Phil 1:27 for various exhortations to the Philippians. In this passage, he is encouraging the Philippians on to the proper Christian life by using the examples of Timothy and Epaphroditus (and himself as well), like he did didactically in the beginning of the chapter. The outline was:

I. Timothy
A. Christian Life is Humble
B. Christian Life is Selfless
C. Christian Life is Focused

II. Epaphroditus
A. Christian Life is Committed
B. Christian Life is Sacrifice

III. Paul
A. Christian Life is One of Fellowship
B. Christian Life is One of Joy
C. Christian Life is One of Trust in Lord

Visited New Life PCA in Escondido, where I heard an excellent sermon on Heb. 11:1-7. The sermon was about the nature of true faith, and how that faith manifests itself in worshipping, walking, and working.

I think I've found my church home while here at seminary!

I preached on Mark 3.7-18, the practical ministry of Christ and the appointment of the Apostles this morning, and on Psalm 127 - Utter Dependence upon our powerful God - tonight.

Our sermon was on Revelations 20. Here's the outline:

Revelation 20 The 1000 years

Revelation 20 is the big picture of human history
between the first coming of Christ and His second coming.

God wants us to be encouraged no matter what happens.

A. AT THE BEGINNING OF THE 1000 YEARS [1-3]

1. The devil is bound

2. A door of hope is now open

3. Make the most of every opportunity!

B. DURING THE 1000 YEARS [4-6]

1. Christians are hated by the world

a. Because we believe the testimony of Jesus
b. Because we live by the Word of God
c. Because we refuse to be like the world

2. Christians are loved by God

a. Renewed: given new life
b. Restored: given back dignity, honor, and dominion
c. Reunited: unbroken, intimate fellowship with Christ

C. AT THE END OF THE 1000 YEARS [7-15]

1. Figurative language

2. Figurative language describing a single event

3. Figurative language for God’s judgment

Gen 6.5-8; 19.23-29; Psalm 1; 2 Thess 1.6-10; 2 Pet 3

4. Figurative language depicting something very real

5. Figurative language with a point

a. God wins!
b. Make sure you’re on God’s side!

I am so excited to report our Pastor Bob is beginning a new series on the Gospel of John and he informed us it would be a number of years to get through it!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

II TIMOTHY 2:2: Passing on our faith

And the things that thou hast heard of me
among many witnesses, the same commit thou
to faithful men, who shall be able to teach
others also.

Exposition of Romans, Romans 4:4-8

Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin

HAHA, this is Dena's Husband Andrew. Let's avoid the mess of my wife preaching...

I preached on Ephesians 4:1 in the morning on the word, "Therefore".

I preached on 1 Samuel 28:3-25 in the evening (Saul and the mediums/spiritists).

What are your views on the medium calling up Samuel?

Ruben preached on the resurrection of the body from 1 Cor 15; just as we have fully borne the corrupt image of the first Adam in sin and misery and physical affliction and death, so we shall fully bear the incorruptible image of the second Adam, even physically.

Hebrews 8:1-6. The difference between the shadow tabernacle and the true sanctuary.

In the evening, I completed my series on the Christian and Civil Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back