Sermons for the Lord's Day 11/8/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
It looks like we've missed starting this thread for the past couple of weeks - I'm going to assume that it's not true that everybody skipped church or didn't pay any attention to the sermon.

So what did you hear today?

Romans 8

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The Holy Spirit enables us to live:

1) debt free (without and obligation bound to the law)
2) violently (proactively against sin)
3) organically (changing at the root level, because He has changed our nature and is changing us)

Great quotes from Mr. John Owen and Mr M'Cheyne, respectively, about the futility of trying to be holy without the enabling of the Holy Spirit (external "righteousness") and not being able to be "holy" enough for salvation (the Holy Spirit making us more sensitive to our sin).

Two thirds of the way through a series entitled "Encountering God in Exodus". Today was on Ex 15.1-21: encountering God in worship.

AM -- The Practice of Fasting, Matthew 6:16-18.

1. The duty of fasting.
2. The sincerity of fasting.
3. The piety of fasting.

Readings: Isaiah 58; Matthew 6:1-18.
Psalms 63:1-8; 69b:6-13; 109:21-27.

PM -- The Presence of the Church, 2 John 12-13.

1. A demonstrative presence.
2. A visible presence.
3. A corporate presence.

Readings: Ezekiel 11:13-25; 2 John 1.
Psalms 46:1-7; 48:7-14; 87:1-7.

Today I had the misfortune of sitting in the worst service in recent memory.

I should have known... it being an Army chapel and this being Veteran's Day weekend, that it would be have a patriotic theme... but man, oh man... I had no idea.

All the "hymns" were patriotic tunes. Our opening hymn was "My Country 'tis of Thee." Nice. What followed was a bunch of tearful "testimonies" of how thankful various people are for the sacrifice of our Soldiers... then they read off the names of all the Soldiers stationed on Ft. Riley who died in the past year (with a bell toll after each one for effect). Then the sermon... man oh man... I've heard many sermons where soldiers and various wartime actions serve as illustrations for what Jesus has done or for what the Christian life is like. BUT... this was the FIRST - and I hope last - time that I heard what Jesus did for us used as an illustration for the type of freedom and protection secured for us by Soldiers. (!) We concluded the "service" with a less than rousing rendition of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

It was unbelievable.

The Sabbath. He started by saying the trouble with sermons about the Sabbath was that those who need to hear them aren't there.

We had the privilege of hearing a sermon on the theme of Peter's behavior throughout the Gospel of John. The message was building to Peter's thrice denial of Christ and Christ's thrice questioning of Peter at the end of the Book.

Simply exceptional preaching!

The pastor continued through the fall series teaching from Joshua. This week we were in Chapter 7. The pastor has also started including a study guide in the bulletin for expanding on the lesson during weekly family worship.

-----Added 11/8/2009 at 08:27:43 EST-----

We concluded the "service" with a less than rousing rendition of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

A tribute to military discipline that the Southerners didn't exit at that point.

Jesus Demands Your Faith, Part II

(He Has Power Over Angels)

Luke 8:26-39

I. The existence of devils.

II. Jesus has power and authority over devils.

III. Jesus possesses this power and authority because He is the God-man.

IV. As the God-man, with power and authority over angels and devils, Jesus Christ demands our faith.

Our sermon was on contentment with our material possessions, based on I Timothy 6:6-19.

Two main points:

I. The trap of greed - greed and materialism are often traps that we don't see in our own lives. It happens with the wealthy and poor alike. Wealthy people are often never satisfied with what they have and always seek more thinking a certain economic standing will satisfy them. Luxury becomes necessity. Poor people crave wealth and money and undervalue what they have - the idea of wealth becomes a god or idol. Pastor Keller made the point that of the thousands of people he has counseled over the years, he's had many adulterers talk openly of their sexual sins, but no one has ever admitted they have a problem with greed because it is often less obvious - hence the "trap."

II. How we avoid the trap
A. Contentment - true wealth is contentment with whatever we have, whether that's vast wealth or poverty. Paul was content despite facing torture and execution - that's true wealth.​
B. Grace - ultimate contentment only comes through grace. By dying for us and taking our place on the cross, Christ gave us true contentment because there is no fear of death. The worst thing that can happen to us is death, but the Christian knows death will not have victory - hence true contentment in all circumstances.​
C. Simplicity and generosity - give sacrificially yet proportionally to what we have. No gift is too small - the key is to give sacrificially, which will be different for each person.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back