Sermons for the Lord's Day (8/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
Tomorrow, by God's grace, I will open up Philippians 3:17-21, "The Christ-Focused Church" and we will celebrate the Lord's Supper. After our worship and Sunday school, we will have an all-church fellowship lunch.

Here is an outline of tomorrow's sermon (and FB link to same)

I. Watching Christ’s Work
A. Follow Toward Jesus
B. Leading To Jesus

II. Wrestling with the World
A. Characteristics of the World
B. Consequences of the World

III. Waiting for Christ
A. Christ Our Savior
B. Christ Our Lord

Questions for Lunch: (1) Why is it so important to remember Christ is the Lord as well the Savior of His People? (2) What things most hinder your walk toward, and with, Christ? (3) How can you be daily more focused on Christ? How can you help your children, your church family, your neighbors and friends be more focused on Christ?

Tomorrow, by God's grace, I will open up Philippians 3:17-21, "The Christ-Focused Church" and we will celebrate the Lord's Supper. After our worship and Sunday school, we will have an all-church fellowship lunch.

Here is an outline of tomorrow's sermon (and FB link to same)

I. Watching Christ’s Work
A. Follow Toward Jesus
B. Leading To Jesus

II. Wrestling with the World
A. Characteristics of the World
B. Consequences of the World

III. Waiting for Christ
A. Christ Our Savior
B. Christ Our Lord

Questions for Lunch: (1) Why is it so important to remember Christ is the Lord as well the Savior of His People? (2) What things most hinder your walk toward, and with, Christ? (3) How can you be daily more focused on Christ? How can you help your children, your church family, your neighbors and friends be more focused on Christ?

I'm preaching on the same text today. Weird.

I'm preaching on the same text today. Weird.

Perhaps someday we could arrange a Puritan "prophesying"--where a handful of pastors are assigned the same text, prepare their sermons independently, and then present them in conference. It could be done long-distance on something like Sermon Audio.

AM - Hallowing God's Name, Mt. 6:9.

The holy Name
The holy Life
The holy Prayer

PM - The Christian in the World, 1 Jn. 5:18, 19.

Born of God
Kept from the Wicked
Not of the World

I began a two parter on The Apostles, Their Ministry in Scripture and Today.

Don't worry. The argument is that the only Apostles are those commissioned directly by Jesus Christ and there ministry continues in the faithful preaching of their doctrine. There are an awful lot of new 'apostles' popping up around here lately.

We continued our series on the Life of David with an assistant pastor preaching on II Samuel 12:1-20, focusing on the aftermath of David's sin.

The two main points were: 1. Christians are often horrible imitators of Christ, such as David in his sin with Bathsheba. We should be sensitive to hypocrisy and seeds of sin in our own lives, since anyone can fall into grievous sin. 2. It is intellectually dishonest to reject Christianity because of the bad behavior of Christians. Christ is the Way, and we should focus on that rather than how imperfectly Christians behave along that way.

The concluding point is that God's grace is evident throughout the episode, including God's forgiveness of David by removing His sin on the cross, and His giving Bathsheba the grace to forgive and marry her husband's murderer.

AM
Proverbs 13:20-25
Ethically Examining Earthly Gain - 3

PM
Deut.18:15-19; 34:10-12; Acts 7:37-40,52; Heb.3:1-6
Proclaiming the Lord's Death - 8 - A Better Mediator (Communion)

Wanted to go to church immensely today. I had to do nursery so I'll have to catch his sermon on our site. I still feel like I didn't go to church though....draining feeling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back