II. The Mission of Peace
A. One Purpose
B. One Community
C. One End

III. The Maintaining of Peace
A. Look Beyond Yourself
B. Look Out for Others
C. Look to the Lord

Questions: (1) What is the most difficult thing about conflict for you? Why is that? (2) Why is Paul so concerned about these relationships when there is so much danger around? How does that apply in our context? (3) How does the gospel affect your relationships?

I'll also preach tonight on Job chapters 4-7, "With Friends Like These..."

I. Eliphaz' "Help"
A. I Know What Happened
B. I Know What You Should Do

II. Job's Helplessness
A. You Don't Know
B. I Don't Understand

Last edited:
Continuing in our series in Hebrews, I preached from Hebrews 10:19-25 (Draw Near).

The proposition was: based upon the true theological assessment provided verses 19-23, the Christian needs to "put up or shut up."

I. We have confidence.
II. We have a great high priest.

Therefore:

III. We should draw near.

A. By holding on to hope.
B. By provoking one another.
C. By gathering together.​

This evening I will continue to teach on the Doctrine of God.

Pastor Tony preached from Romans 3 and didn't tickle my ears one bit. He kindly beat me to a pulp that I would glory in Christ all the more. :)

Luke 6:20-26

The Blessings and Curses from the Sermon on the Level Spot Applied as a Test to the Heart of Man Before a Holy, Just, and Merciful God. :)

I can't really put a title on the sermon from the morning. I had one on it earlier, but it was one of those incredible mornings in which God took the material I prepared and used it in a powerful and undeniably Spirit led manner. I'm still reeling, and so are many of our members.

The gist of the conviction was how casually American Christians approach God, how humanistic we are in our striving for piety, and how deceived our hearts can be in what take preeminence in our lives.

AM Message: The Gospel and Suffering Go Together
Thessalonians #6 – 1:6 & 2:14-16

PM Message: Joshua #18 – "Caleb for Christians” – Josh. 15

Pastor Keller preached on the very end of David's life as told in II Samuel 26:10-25. There were three main points:

I. God's judgment on David - God was angry with David most likely because he was preparing for conquest and aggressive war contrary to God's plan at the time. His judgment was also on Israel for their societal attitude of aggression and conquest. As a side note, he mentioned that God's wrath is kindled against violence more than any other sin in the Old Testament.

II God's mercy shown to David and Israel - despite bringing a plague that killed 70,000 men, God was "grieved" over their suffering and stopped His angel from causing the deaths before David repented. David chose the plague because he knew God would be merciful. The men killed would likely have died in a sinful war - God killed them to prevent them from dying in sin.

III. The greatness of David - unlike his sin with Bathsheba which was only brought to his attention by a prophet, this time David repents because of his conscience. This shows true spiritual growth and the development of a heart in line with God's plan. He made the point that the sign of a true spiritually mature Christian is one who repents more openly and more frequently, not less. It also shows David understood the concept of substitutionary atonement because he offered himself (the shepherd) in place of Israel (the sheep). By building the altar David didn't atone for his sin or that of Israel, but pointed to Jesus who did atone for their sins on the cross.

For morning worship, I preached on 1 Peter 1:17-21 ("Precious Blood"). I spoke of how the text speaks of God as Father, Judge, and Redeemer, but these are only possible through faith in Jesus Christ (we are sons of God only through Christ, He is a judge we would want to face only b/c of Christ, and we can only be redeemer through the atonement of Jesus Christ).

In the evening, I led a Bible study in Burkesville and taught on the blessings of Abraham through faith and the curse of the law in Galatians 3:6-14.

"Power + Compassion = Glory"
Luke 7:11-17

I. The Power of God in Christ
II. The Compassion of Man in Christ
III. All For God's Glory
IV. Christ exercises His power and compassion through His people for God’s glory.
V. Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back