Sermons For This Lord's Day (8/23/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
The girl's were both feeling ill this morning so we went to my old PC(USA) church here in town (where I am preaching in two weeks) and heard a sermon that was the next in a sermon series on the Lord's Prayer. Her text was Luke 4:1-13. Well not much to say except when you hear a UMC preach you should expect a UMC sermon.

What did you hear this morning?

I preached on Philippians 3:12-16, "Eyes on the Prize."

[FONT=&quot]I. There is a Race to be Run [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. You Don’t Start at the Finish Line[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. You Can’t Choose Where to Stop[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]II. Run the Race[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. With Effort
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]B. With Focus[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C. With the Goal in Mind
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]III. Grace in the Race[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. God Equips Us[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. God Calls Us [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Questions for Lunch[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: (1) What is the danger of being satisfied with our Christian life? (2) What bad things in your past are you tempted to be distracted by? What good things? (3) How can Paul’s thoughts here help us to witness to others?[/FONT]

My pastor continued his series on Romans and today the sermon was on Romans 3:21-31.

The sermon today was on Genesis 37--Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers.

The main idea behind the sermon was that God caused Joseph to be sold into slavery in order to save His people from the famine down the road in the same way that God sent Jesus to suffer so that He could be our deliverer.

Some thoughts from the sermon:

1) God was silent when Joseph called out to his brothers. God does not always answer our prayers with the immediate action that we expect.
2) The story of Jospeh in scripture points to the Christ and His deliverance.

I preached from Luke 6:12 ff. Today's sermon was Jesus' practice of prayer and what that displays to us regarding a life of prayer.

I preached from Mark 3.31-35 this morning, on the wonder of being called the brothers and sisters of Christ, and this evening on Psalm 129, 'God's people never defeated'.

The Lord is RIGHTEOUS - Psalm 129.4

In the AM I continued through Exodus with 28:1–2, "The Priesthood of the Lord." My two points were: 1. A Priesthood of the People (v. 1), and 2. A Priesthood Distinct from the People (v. 2). In point one I spoke of the doctrines and uses of the text in terms of God's using the ministry of sinful men to accomplish his purposes. Yet the text speaks of the ceremonial holiness of the priests in their clothing, so it ultimately leads us to a great priest who is without sin, Jesus.

Tonight I am continuing through the Larger Catechism, preaching on Genesis 1:26–31, with the theme of "God's Work in Creating Man" (Q&A 17).

Psalm 69. The right use of imprecatory Psalms, and when and how Christians are to pray imprecatory prayers.

The Ninth Commandment, with application from the story of Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5).

Proverbs 13:12-19 Ethically Examining Earthly Gain - 2

Philippians 3:1-7 We Are the Circumcision

Morning Worship

Sermon Title: "Execution of Egypt's Firstborn, Exodus of God's Firstborn"
Text: Exodus 11:1-10, 12:29-42
Outline:
  1. Jehovah is the sovereign judge over all the hearts of Egypt
  2. Jehovah is the sovereign savior of all the hosts of Israel

Evening Worship

Sermon Title: "A Hard Lesson in Humility"
Text: James 4:1-17
Outline:
  1. God opposes the proud who are ruled by self
  2. God gives grace to the humble

Today's sermon was about the Prodigal Son in Luke 15. I particularly liked the point he made about it being a picture of our salvation.

When the prodigal son came to his senses, there were 3 things he planned to say to his father:

1. Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
2. And am no more worthy to be called thy son:
3. Make me as one of thy hired servants.

When he arrived he only said 2 of the 3 things:

1. Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight,
2. And am no more worthy to be called thy son.

Before he could say the third thing, his father spoke to his servants to bring the robe, etc.

Salvation is all of grace, there are no works done on our part to earn salvation.

Acts 9:1-6
The Life of Saul...Prior to conversion, during conversion, and the Transforming power of Christ, through God's sovereignty, and graciousness.

My pastor preached in John 1 which I completely missed as my boy had a complete meltdown during service so I took him home and allowed my wife to worship without interruption,I also sadly missed my little girl singing today for the first time,but did capture it on video she is in the front row Pink dress/belt I am so proud of her and I love her so much!
[video=youtube;JXUc3zH2i3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUc3zH2i3s&feature=channel_page[/video]

You should be so proud, Brian. She is so cute, and intently paying attention. Thank God for "video."

About mana and quail, and the needlessness and sinfulness of grumbling. Contentment being a central theme of the mature Christian life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back