Sermons for This Lord's Day 8/9/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Thes 1 "A Church planted by God". Points highlighted were marks of true believers and true Churches. Focal point: vs 3.

In the PM 5th Commandment with a excellent focus on honor

Last edited:
Philippians 1:9-11 was preached today - most of the time spent on v9;

- Paul's prayerful expectation that love among the saints would abound
- the enduring character of the abounding love
- the knowledge of Christ as fruitful ground for that love to abound
- the discernment with which this love abounds
- the hearty approval of that which is excellent
- the fruit of righteousness and godliness through Christ our Lord
- the underlying purpose: God's glory and His praise

Second Sunday of my holiday today. The church we visited (pastored by a friend) was a pleasant and different experience. My friend preached on Matt 5, majoring on verse 20

We had an awesome sermon from our associate pastor this morning. The text was Exodus 13:17-14:31- When Fear and Hope Collide.
1. Remember God's Purpose
2. Bear in mind God's Pattern
3. Cultivate God's Presence

An interesting quirk of the worship service was that a Scotsman (me) lead the liturgy and read the (long) Scripture reading, an Indian gentleman shared testimony and an Australian preached the Word. An American elder led the prayer of intercession.

Preached on Philippians 3:4-8 this morning, "True Gain"

I. Inherited Debits
A. Religion
B. Nationality
C. Traditions

II. Earned Debits
A. Morality
B. Sincerity
C. Performance

III. Great Exchange
A. A True Valuation
B. Giving Up to Get
C. The Real Prize

Then preached on Job 1:13-22, "The Storm Breaks"
I. The Clouds Gather
A. The Heavenly Council
B. The Adversary

II. The Fury of the Storm
A. Disasters
B. Salt in the Wounds
C. Planned Timing

III. The Calm After the Storm
A. Job's Reaction
B. Who's in Control?

"The Now vs. The Not Yet"

Luke 6:20-26

I. The Poor vs. The Rich
II. The Hungry vs. The Filled
III. The Weeping vs. The Laughing
IV. The Hated vs. The Loved
V. Applications

I preached on 1 Peter 1:1-2 ("Alien Nation"), looking at who Christians are in the Triune God. However, I only got through the first point (Who we are in God the Father -- scattered aliens chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father), so I will have to continue next week, d.v.

For the evening, the Missus and I traveled to southern KY and I taught on Galatians 3:1-5 9 (the fallacy of "new and improved religion" at the Bible study).

I preached from Luke 6:1-11. The first of two sermons on the hotly debated topic of the Sabbath/Lord's Day/Day of Rest/etc. Some rather interesting responses. :)

I preached from Luke 6:1-11. The first of two sermons on the hotly debated topic of the Sabbath/Lord's Day/Day of Rest/etc. Some rather interesting responses. :)

I preached on that two weeks ago and received favorable responses. Are you preaching through Luke?

I preached on that two weeks ago and received favorable responses. Are you preaching through Luke?

Yes, I am preaching through Luke. It has been a very rewarding study. This should be an interesting week following up on the widely varying responses to the sermon.

Continuing in our series from Hebrews, I preached on Heb. 9:1-14 (a longish passage for me). Titled "Elevated Worship," it unpacked some of the OT types and compared them to our own liturgy. The three major points were:

1. Preparation
  2. Prayer and Praise
  3. Proclamation

In the evening I continued in our study of Systematic Theology. We got about a quarter of the way through the Doctrine of Scripture.

Yes, I am preaching through Luke. It has been a very rewarding study. This should be an interesting week following up on the widely varying responses to the sermon.

Pastor Joe (Wannabe) is supposed to be preaching through Luke as well. I wonder if he has started yet. I also am encouraged by the responses from the teaching on the Sabbath as well as submission to church government. (The Apostles and church elders)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back