Sermons For This Lord's Day (9/20/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A.M. - Daily Provision, Matthew 6:11.

1. God provides.
2. God measures.
3. God blesses.

P.M. - The Privilege of the Church, 2 John 3.

1. The best reception.
2. The best communion.
3. The best confirmation.

"Church and State II"

Matt 16:13-19; Matt 18:15-20; Matt 28:18-20

Sermon about how the church as given too much authority to the Civil Government and is widely allowing the Civil Government to be her head instead of Christ.

I was home sick this morning with the family so I listened to the sermon from my old church HERE.

"The Peaceful Church" (Philippians 4:5-7)
September 20, 2009 AM

I. The Practice of Peace
A. Preparing our minds
B. Preventing Anxiety

II. The Provision for Peace
A. Patience
B. Prayer
C. Praise

III. The Promise of Peace
A. Protection from God
B. Presence of God

Questions: (1) What things in your life are you most anxious about? What stops you from handing those cares to the Lord? (2) How can you cultivate prayer in your life? (3) How does this passage instruct us in communicating the gospel to others?

"The Wrong Mediator" (Job 8-10)

September 20, 2009 PM

I. Bildad - You Must Mediate
A. God is just in all He does
B. Your path is obvious

II. Job - How Can I Mediate?
A. I can’t vindicate myself – I am a sinner
B. I can’t vindicate myself – no power

III. Who Can See the Big Picture?
A. Life makes no sense
B. How can we make sense?

We finished our series today on the life of David, focusing on the last episode in I Chronicles 29.

The sermon had two main points:

1. The Problem - the entire sermon was really focused on this point. The problem was that David was dying and there was no strong leader to replace him. The people were placing their faith in a person to channel God, not God Himself. Pastor Keller's point is that God cannot be conjured - the Ark of the Covenant was a bridge to God, but the physical box itself wasn't important - the condition of the Israelites' heart is what mattered. He also stressed the importance of unconditional devotion to God regardless of the circumstances around us - we should not attach an "if" statements to loving God.

2. The Promise - the physical temple and the Ark were not important in and of themselves, so when the people turned their back on God He left the temple after it was destroyed by the Babylonians and never returned - yet He promised He would establish an everlasting Kingdom through David's Seed. Christ Himself fulfills the symbolism of the temple is our ultimate bridge to God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back