Sermons For This Lord's Day (9/6/2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite sick today, as are two of the three daughters.

Watched Phil Ryken preach on 1 Corinthians 13, using the rich young man in Mark 10 as a reference point and example.

“The Steadfast Church” (Philippians 4:1)

I. Who is to Stand Firm?
A. The Equipped
B. The Beloved
C. The Commended

II. What does it mean to Stand Firm?
A. Cling to God
B. Cling to the Gospel
C. Cling to the Truth
D. Cling to Each Other

III. How do we Stand Firm?
A. Our Attitude
B. Reliance on God
C. Jesus is the Model

This evening, I'll be preaching on Job 3, "Why Me?"

My Church was taught on Psalms 71, about how our service to God and our following him should never end, and stuff like that :)

We had an abbreviated sermon and a guest preacher becasue our pastor's new born was being baptized! And we also had a mother-daughter profession of faith where the two became members and also the daughter herself was baptized (at the age of 17-18). It was a very touching service especially for me because I was feeling very weak and fainty due to the seizure I had last friday and I am still recovering from the side effects.

Our new pastor preached on Ex 19.4 as the first in a series due to go ono the end of November entitled "Encountering God in Exodus"

Tonight a number of our young people who were away on summer mission teams reported back on what they did. We had people serving in Japan, the US, the Canaries, the Irish Republic and in other parts of Northern Ireland.

Very encouraging and thrilling for a small church to see so many people engaged in mission activity.

Rev. Duncan MacLeod, originally of Carloway, Isle of Lewis, our minister at Knox Free Church, Perth.

AM - "Going to Jerusalem" Acts 21:1-26

1-17 Why Paul has to go away

18-26 his arrival in Jerusalem

Three great Christian characteristics prominent in this passage -faithfulness, fellowship and fearlessness.

PM- "Defeating the Amalekites" Exodus 17:8-16

8 the source of the opposition

9-12 the strategy adopted

13 the success that followed

14 the scroll of remembrance

15 the significance of the altar.

God promised Israel in the scroll that Amalek would be defeated and destroyed; so it is promised in the scroll/codex of Scripture regarding the enemies of the New Covenant people, angelic and human.

Last edited:
AM -- The coming of God's Kingdom, Matthew 6:10.

A kingdom of power.
A kingdom of grace.
A kingdom of glory.

PM -- The Christian in the Lord, 1 John 5:20, 21.

Knowing the Lord is come.
Knowing the Lord is true.
Knowing the Lord is life.

Exo 20.1-17, The ten words.

Relating the gospel to the law and characterizing the law as declarations of who God is, and so what we will be.

My Pastor taught on John 1:14-18,Exodus 33,and taught about Christ Incarnation and how it relates as a better Covenant.We also celebrated this New Covenant and remembered Jesus today through Communion,and also had a fellowship dinner with a teaching on the Voice of God and His Glory from Psalm 29 after dinner,I love my God and my Church and it is a miracle our family is there!

I heard an excellent sermon at the non-reformed church 5 mins from my house. It was on the Perseverance of the saints using Romans 8:29-31 among others. It included Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, and Irresistible Grace as well, at least in drive by mention. I was very pleased by this because when I used to be a member decisions regeneration was taught. I am friends with the pastor and in discussions with him lately I found his doctrine to be much more biblical is why I went there instead of driving the 45mins to the church I now attend. I think he still denies the limited atonement but seems to understand the atonement as sacrificial for certain people however these people are a hypothetical people "whoever believes" yet at the same time he understands the Elect are the ones who will believe so its a bit of a mute point. Thought I'd share cause I consider this a great praise report.

AM Service Luke 21:1-4 The widow gives all, the others gave out of their abundance. A great point my pastor made was that "sacrifice without obedience is legalism," which I related to the Cain and Abel offerings as I thought about the point.

PM Service Romans 15:1-6 Discussed our relationships and reputations with our neighbors and other saints, understanding the NT impossible without understanding the OT.

In the a.m. service I preached on 1 Corinthians 8.1-3 Sermons

In the evening I preached at a preaching station and from Mark 9.14-29
Sermons

Last edited:
I preached on:

AM - Ephesians 4:14-16

I. The Child's Growth
II. The Truth Spoken
III. The Church Perfected

PM - 2 Samuel 1:17-27 -

I. Restrained Grief
II. God-Glorifying Grief
III. Men-Honoring Grief
IV. Love in Grief

Adam, what is "a preaching station"?

It is an assembly of Christians who are hoping in time to become big enough and stable enough to be recognized as a mission work or church plant. They do not necessarily have a service every week. At present the Sterling, KS RPCNA and the Wichita RPCNA are praying and working towards seeing a church plant in Hutchinson, KS.

Adam, what is "a preaching station"?

It is an assembly of Christians who are hoping in time to become big enough and stable enough to be recognized as a mission work or church plant. They do not necessarily have a service every week. At present the Sterling, KS RPCNA and the Wichita RPCNA are praying and working towards seeing a church plant in Hutchinson, KS.

That sounds much cooler than an "exploratory work." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back