Sermons of Samuel Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I was at apuritansmind.com and on the recommended reading list Matthew recommended the sermons of Samuel Davies. Who was this preacher and where can I get samplings of his sermons?

Iain Murray's book "Revival and Revivalism opens up speaking about Davies. The sermons of his that I've read are very good. I believe SDG may be printing a volume which abridges the above mentioned sermons. Lloyd-Jones was a great admirer of his.

http://www.puritansermons.com/banner/sdavies1.htm

Some years ago the late Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones said to an audience in the United States, 'You Americans do not know one of your greatest preachers'. He then pronounced a name almost unknown — the name, 'Samuel Davies'. Unhappily, we Americans still do not know one of our greatest preachers. Graduates of the finest seminaries in our land have not so much as heard of Samuel Davies. This is certainly not universally true, but those who have become aquainted with this man have found reason to agree with Dr Lloyd-Jones. Davies is indeed one of America's greatest preachers.

From Banner of Truth Magazine no. 235 April 1983

Wasn't Davies a contemporary of Whitefield, Edwards, et al and involved to a certain extent with the First Great Awakening in the South?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back