Sermons on 5/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
What sermons did you hear/preach on Sunday?

Our senior pastor was out of town, so we took a brief detour from our Habakkuk series (though remained on the general theme of faith in difficult times). One of the assistant pastors delivered an excellent sermon on Psalm 46, with 4 main points on what we learn about fear from the psalm:

1. Instructs us on how to live life and how to honor God.
2. Exposes our weaknesses, insecurities, doubts, and finite nature.
3. Confronts our beliefs about God, namely that He is good, but just and wrathful, and is the One true God.
4. Points us to Christ, because the love that God demonstrates is the only way to abolish fear, as John makes clear in I John.

Last edited:
I preached on Philippians 1:21-26, "Real Life"

I. Real Life is Hard
A. Hard because of what is
B. Hard because of what is to come

II. Real Life is Selfless
A. Selfless service
B. Selfless responsibility

III. Real Life is Christ Focused
A. Submitting to His Will
B. Seeking His Glory

Pastor Bob is preaching a series on The Fruits of The Spirit from Galatians 5,Yesterday Mornings sermon was on the Spiritual Fruit of Gentleness,and I couldnt begin to outline all of the content,it was stunningly good,I am so blessed to under this kind of teaching,and so happy God chose to put our family here,Thank you Lord!

Ecclesiastes 4:8-12

Man was not meant to find his identity in:

1) money
2) work
3) self

I preached on 1 Samuel 8:4-9, entitled "Why Do We Want to Be Just Like Everyone Else?" I focused on the sin of Israel in rejected God by asking for a king just like the pagan nations around them. I questioned the quest for "relevancy" within the church, since this is ultimately a desire to be like the culture around us instead of looking to Christ as our Great King.

AM
The Lord Prepares His People for the Promised Land
Exodus 23:20–32

PM
How Can I Grow in My Knowledge of God?
Colossians 1:10
Westminster Larger Catechism, Q&A 6

My morning sermon was Hebrews 4:14-16 Sunday. It was described this way by a church member: "a powerful reminder of this sharing of compassion which actually has its divine origin in Jesus Himself. Not only does this passage tell us to whom we bring our prayers, but how (with confidence in Him) and why (to receive mercy and find grace in our time of need). Our Great High Priest, who understands our every trial, reaches out to us with perfect compassion, grace and mercy. Then Hebrews 7:25 puts the bow on top, "he always lives to intercede for them."

We have a discussion of the morning sermon in the evening service, before going on to the evening's message, which Sunday night was from Titus 3:8-11.

Godly parenting part II - Ephesians 6:4
Part I was on ways we can provoke our children
Part II was an examination of what the world calls provocation
Part III will deal with the thrust of the verse and the fact that the greatest way we provoke our children is in failing to raise them up in the admonition of the Lord

Our pastor was away this last week, so we had a visiting minister. His sermon was entitled "Who/What is your hope in?" And the text was Isaiah 40. What a powerful passage of Scripture.

When he got to vs. 31, (They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint) he read to us about eagles.

Apparently when a storm is coming, an eagle will fly up to high place and position its wings in such a way as to catch the wind to make it rise up above the storm. The eagle will fly above the storm until it's over.

Isaiah 40 talks about who God assuring us that He is worthy to be trusted and then reminds us how God will carry us through the storms of life.

AM: Luke 9:57-62 "The Undivided Calling of those Who Follow Jesus"

PM: Hebrews 7:25 (HC, LD 11) "Jesus Saves to the Uttermost"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back