Sermons Preached 5/17/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
What was exposited today at your church?

I preached this morning as our Pastor was away at his son's graduation from Kansas State.

My text was 2 Peter 3:1-9 and my title was "The Longsuffering Redeemer".

They did not burn me at the stake so I must have done alright. :flamingscot: ;)

I also preached in my Pastor's absence. Psalm 19 was the main text, on how God has revealed himself to humanity through creation, through Scripture, and ultimately through Christ (leaned heavily on Paul's address to the Areopagus from Acts 17 for the last point.) It was only the second sermon I've ever preached.

One of my fellow elders told me that he might come up and smack me in the middle of preaching if I didn't do well, but instead he shook my hand afterwards and gave me a hug . . . so I'm guessing it was decent. :)

(I was made a bit nervous beforehand, as I noticed that Dr. Scott Oliphint from WTS was among the congregation this morning. His son Joel is another of my fellow elders.)

Last edited:
I preached on 1 Samuel 7:15-8:3. I deal with Samuel's ministry as judge over Israel, but also with the failure of his ungodly sons. I contrasted the disappointment we face when looking to sons of men for security to the joy of looking to the Son of God as our security.

Tonight I will lead the Bible study in southern KY. I am teaching on Galatians 2:1-10 and focusing on the unified (and unifying) gospel as taught by Paul and the other Apostles.

AM - Luke 9:51-56 "Jesus Rebukes His Disciples for their Destructive Attitude"

(In two hours) PM - Acts 17:24-28 (HC, LD 10) "The Powerful Witness of God's Providence to an Unbelieving World"

What was exposited today at your church?

I preached this morning as our Pastor was away at his son's graduation from Kansas State.

My text was 2 Peter 3:1-9 and my title was "The Longsuffering Redeemer".

They did not burn me at the stake so I must have done alright. :flamingscot: ;)

Here is the audio.

Sermon May 17, 2009 – 2 Peter 3:1-9 Backwoods Presbyterian

Ephesians 6:4a

Fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath...

It's been a rough week of study because I'm struggling with a pretty bad cold - tough to think and connect dots. May Christ's strength be displayed in my weakness.

Joe,

I had a similar experience. I have had a bad chest cold/flu, and was not even sure mid-week that I could preach without coughing uncontrollably. God was gracious, and I made it through the service and my Sunday School class (on the Holy Spirit).

I preached on Philippians 1:18(b)-21, "Real Honor." My Outline was:

[FONT=&quot]I. The Lord’s Work On Us (1:18-19a)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Bringing His Will[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. Bringing His Provision[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]II. The Lord’s Work Through Us (1:20a)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Bringing Hope[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. Bringing Courage[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]III. The Lord’s Work In Us (1:20b-21)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A. Bringing Meaning[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B. Bringing Glory[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Questions for Lunch[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: (1) How do you deal with your fears? (2) As you live, how do your neighbors and friends see Christ in your life? (3) In what ways has the Lord helped you to face life’s challenges? How has he used you to help others?[/FONT]

Ours was on God's governing all His creatures and all their actions. The main illustration was a woman who'd lost her 4 year old Daughter to cancer, and the Bible reading was

Job 1:13 Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,
Job 1:14 and there came a messenger to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them,
Job 1:15 and the Sabeans fell upon them and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."
Job 1:16 While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you."
Job 1:17 While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "The Chaldeans formed three groups and made a raid on the camels and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."
Job 1:18 While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house,
Job 1:19 and behold, a great wind came across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young people, and they are dead, and I alone have escaped to tell you."
Job 1:20 Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped.
Job 1:21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

and the application was that not one of God's people will die before that person has done all that God ordained him or her to have done. That we are totally invincible, hedged around on all sides by God until He makes us really and truly alive by bringing us home.

Thanks to those posting before me on this thread for putting in the time and sweat to equip God's people.

Our sermon was on keeping the Sabbath and why it is important--preaching was Guest Pastor, Dr. Scott Swain of RTS Orlando..passages from Mark 2:23-28; with references from the OT..

It was a perfect sermon as we had been running late for services this morning, and my husband commented 'about just staying home, instead of going in late' to which I responded, "no, it's to easy to do that just stay home and not think about God, when He should be our focus, we should desire to go and praise and worship Him, for what He has done on Our behalf"

So pastors, take heart, even if nobody says anything--as you never know what conversations have taken place in the lives of those in your congregation during the week and hours prior to your sermon..where it might just 'fit' right in to those conversations...

The scripture passage this morning was last half of Genesis 25, the birth of Esau & Jacob and Esau's selling his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew. The pastor focused on God's choosing of Jacob over Esau and paralled the passage with Romans 9.

I think it's the first time I've heard any pastor actually tackle Romans 9 from the pulpit. It was very good. He addressed the common questions people ask about predesination and answered them. The point that stays with me (today was one of the days I wish I'd remembered to bring a pen with me) is that the reason people struggle with predestination is because they want God to do things their way and in essence, that's saying they want to be just like God.

I preached on Isaiah 6:1-9 and what true worship is and how true worship leads to service.

We continued our series on Habakkuk, today focusing on God's second reply in 2:5-20.

The first point is that pride and idolatry, both on a societal and personal level, are the root causes of evil in society. Rather than blame others or other groups of people, we should examine ourselves to see where we struggle with these sins.

The second point is that we have a hope in that while evil times may come, God is always on His throne and is always sovereign, and that He uses evil and evil people to accomplish His redemptive plan.

I had a communicants class of 13 (!) to start the morning.

Morning sermon was from 1 John 5: 1-6 "3 Questions, do you believe?, do you love?, do you have faith?"

Evening service from Micah 6: 6-8.

In between all of this I visited 3 people in hospital & drove a 3 hour round trip for the morning service.

Text Proverbs 7:1-27
Sermon: Adultery (2) -- Temptation Without

Intro

I. Lesson Introduction. vv1-5
My son… (v1f)
“Binding” like a covenant (v3f)

II. Lesson Body. vv6-23
A story to hear (v6f)
The encounter (v10f)
A word to the young ladies: beware…
Deadly results (v16f)

III. Lesson Conclusion vv24-27
1) Corpses everywhere
2) Final applications

Philippians 1:19-26
Sermon: Mixed Feelings

Intro

A. Review (from previous sermon): that Paul is the tool of Jesus Christ (vv18b-21)
1 Sovereign God
2 No ultimately evil circumstances
3 To live is Christ

B. Paul has a will of his own. vv22-23
1 Is there a conflict with divine sovereignty?
2 Wanting to want what God wants

C. Paul is joyful in his service to Jesus. vv24-26
1 “Necessity” trumps “satisfaction”
2 Progress and joy in the faith

D. Application/conclusion.

I preached in the morning on Ephesians 2:11-13 and in the evening on Proverbs 1:20-33.

Ephesians 2:11-13 Outline

I.What Were You Formerly?
A.Gentiles in the flesh (Uncircumcision by Jews)
1.Separated from Christ
2.Excluded from the commonwealth of Israel
3.Strangers to the Covenants of promise
a)W/o hope, W/o God in the world
4.Far off
II.What Are You Now?
A.Not in Christ: You are Still Those Things Formerly
B.In Christ: Brought near by Christ’s blood
C.Brought near to what/whom? God

Proverbs 1:20-33 Outline

I. Desire Wisdom: You are Invited (20-21)
II. Desire Wisdom: You are Warned (24-32)
III. Desire Wisdom: You are Given a Great Promise (22-23, 33)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back