Sermons Preached on 6/7/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSilverMoon

Puritan Board Senior
What did you preach/hear preached?

We finished our series on Habakkuk today with a sermon titled "Rejoicing in Tribulation" based on the entire 3rd chapter. The outline was as follows:

1. What rejoicing means - rejoicing is like being on the mountaintop (Habakkuk 3:19), which includes not falling off into a chasm of despair, but keeping our focus on the Lord.

2. When we rejoice - we should rejoice in the midst of suffering. Happiness and suffering don't have to be mutually exclusive - we can have great joy despite miserable circumstances around us. We don't wait for suffering to end to have joy in our relationship with God.

3. Why we rejoice - 3 reasons: 1. Repetition - immersing ourselves in the Word allows us to turn to Scripture as Christ did in the midst of suffering on the cross. 2. Remembering - remembering what God has done for us and how we can rely on Him in the midst of horrible suffering. Habakkuk turned to the Exodus to find His joy. 3. Rejoicing properly - rejoicing doesn't mean stoicism. It means having enough joy in God to experience genuine grief, but ultimately resting and trusting in Him.

4. How we rejoice - Christ's work on the cross and resurrection should give us ultimate joy. We shouldn't focus on any sort of work or human merit to give us joy, but we should rejoice in that fact that we have our hope in Christ and will reside with Him eternally. We will never have to experience ultimate suffering because He experienced it for us.

Pastor Doug Mixer taught on Exodus 20:12, "Honor your father and mother." He tied it to God being our father. Very insightful and much needed in our society.

This morning we ordained new elders and deacons, so I preached on 2 Corinthians 4:7 -- dispensable jars with indispensable treasure.

This afternoon, I preached on the 7th commandment and Lord's Day 41 of the Heidelberg Catechism. Spent a lot of time on the subject of p0rnography.

This evening I preached on John 4:13-14, "Drink from the water that Christ gives and never thirst again."

We had a guest speaker Dr. Donald Whitney of Southern Seminary and he taught on Matthew 25:31-46 and it was entitled "Hell is Real" a very solid and sobering message

AM: Luke 10:1-6 "Jesus Appoints Seventy to Prepare His Way"

PM: 1 Corinthians 7:23 (HC, LD 13) "The Lordship of Christ Teaches Us that We Are His Possession"

Dr. Whitney is a solid Calvinist!

Amen!,Yes He is,and I thank God for guys like him and my Pastor Dr. Burrelli,the folks that are professors at Southern Seminary are used of God in raising some solid reformed leaders,It would be a dream for me to bring my family to Louisville for "Training in Righteousness" at SBTS,But there is the opportunity,if the Lord wills, to sit under Dr. Burrelli (who is an adjunct professor at SBTS) here at what's called Grace Bible Institute where I can be seminary trained,whatever the case, in such a graceful example of God's Providence,my family can sit under and serve in a church of this nature,and can tell thousands of God's goodness in placing our roots here that we can have a reformed family,I am so grateful,esp. as a first generation Christian family,and as such I would not know where to begin,but God's grace is so good to all His children,and He is magnified when we tell of His wondrous works so i'm sorry to be so long winded,and slightly off-topic however,I hope my thoughts help give you thankfulness for whatever station He has placed you in

AM—"Contributing to Build the Tabernacle"—The Thirty-Fourth Sermon on Exodus (Ex. 25:1–7, 35:4–29)

PM—"Are there More Gods than One?"—The Seventh Sermon on the Larger Catechism (Deut. 6:1–9, WLC 8)

Genesis 1:1-31 - "Flintstones, O'Reilly, and the Sixth Day" (7th sermon in our Genesis series)

We have been going through Genesis 1 . . . day by day.

We're still in Genesis. Our pastor pointed out that this was sermon 40 in the series and we just finished Genesis 27. This was a wonderful sermon on the blessing God gave to Abraham (the word blessing shows up at least 28 times in this passage), and how Isaac, Rebekah, Esau and Jacob approached it.

Isaac didn't want to follow God's directive about who was going to receive the blessing.
Rebekah tried to make God's will happen.
Esau tried to decieve to get the blessing (even though technically he lost the blessing when he gave up his birthright)
Jacob was willing to lie to get the blessing that he wanted so badly.

This was a wonderful reminder of how we cannot make our will happen, we cannot manipulate to make God's will happen, and we don't have to do something to prove that God loves us.

A warning shot across the bow!

When my pastor started preaching and named his message " Five People Not to Hang Out With" I thought 'here we go again another seeker friendly / improve your lifestyle message BUT I was very surprised when his text was from 1 Cor,5:5 and adjoining passages. A strong, heavy church discipline message! I think he just fired a warring shot across the bow for some he has been dealing with. Man, it sure got quiet in there!

Pastor Tom Sheppard is preaching through the Book of Revelation, and this week he preached on the Two Witnesses (who he believes to represent the Law and the Prophets).

My pastor preached on 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17 and focused on how the elect have been "chosen...from the beginning for salvaltion." You could hear a pin drop during most of the sermon because the majority of attendees are "free-will" advocates. I was the only one who would give out an "amen" every once in a while (only to have some near me turn to see who the "heretic" was and then turn away, shaking their heads). I loved it, mostly because I'm sure many had not heard the gospel of grace preached so strongly before (my pastor goes verse by verse through a book, so many did not know his position on election as he's not had occasion to preach it in quite a while).

Morning: Ephesians 2:19-22 (debunked anyone who thinks there are still apostles and prophets today)

I like your style ... tip their comfortable beds over and let them lay on the cold floor having been debunked! :lol:

Well, I don't think anyone in my congregation actually believes it, I was more hoping to aid them in defending the faith against other Christians or non-christians as the case may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back