Several General Forums Taken Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredtgreco

Vanilla Westminsterian
Staff member
Dear PuritanBoard Members,

The decision has been made by the Administration to take the several of the general forums, including the Politics Forum, the News Forum and the Pub Forum offline. It has been made accessible only by specific request and approval. We have decided to do this for several reasons:

1. The Politics Forum (and similar type posts in General Discussions and News) have started to take over the board. The PuritanBoard was not really ever envisioned to be focused upon politics and the like.

2. For the most part, the most heated discussions, with the least charity, have occurred in the Politics Forum. That is not to say that there have not been good posts, or that everyone is a big nasty, but it is stating a fact.

3. The Pub Forum has always been of interest to a section of the Board, so this will allow that section of the Board to have access without disrupting the general flow of the Board.

4. The Administrators are desirous of seeing the PuritanBoard get back to its roots - discussions of theology, the church and pastoral issues. After all, there are fully two dozen other forums in which to be involved.

5. As always, remember that there are a large number of "lurkers" on the board (probably over 300 - more than posting members), many of whom may be young. The Administration is sensitive to this, and desires that the Board continue to be a place of reasoned, civil discussion. In fact, the PuritanBoard has become more of a community than an e-list.

Now before you think of sending a message to the Administration bemoaning the abandonment of a "world and life view" or citing Abraham Kuyper, please note that the Administration is NOT suggesting that the members abandon politics or influence in society. What we are suggesting is that the PuritanBoard is not the best venue for such discussions.

Please do not attempt to circumvent this decision by posting political discussions in the News section or the General Discussions. Doing so will result in deleted posts. Continued action will result in moderation of a member's status. If you are not sure about an item you wish to post, go ahead and post it, flagging it with "For Admin Approval:" so it can be easily spotted and approved/rejected. There will be no action taken by Admins with respect to a member for threads started with the disclaimer.

In coming days, threads that are of a political and/or inflammatory nature will be moved off the PuritanBoard to an archived area. For both the Politics Forum and the archived forum, if you are desirous of accessing them, please send an email or U2U to an ADMINISTRATOR (not moderator) requesting access.

It will take some time to get all in line, so please be patient.

For the King,

Fred Greco (on behalf of the Admins)
Matthew McMahon
Scott Bushey
Phillip Way

[Edited on 12/22/2004 by fredtgreco]

Fred,
Thanks for making the changes. I don't have feelings one way or the other about the politics thread, but I do appreciate how you guys are steering the puritanboard back to its 'original intent'. (perhaps, just for old times sake, you might consider reopening it just prior to the next presidential election, but if not no problem).
Keep up the good work,
Bob

What do you find unfortunate about it? They are not being removed, merely put somewhat on the back-burner, which I think is a wise decision at this time indeed.

Well,
With a sorrowful but understanding heart do I see them leave. Ah, peace is good but if I can't have peace then I want a good fight, and there ain't nothin better than a political fight!

I understand why yall are doing it.

:mad::mad::mad:

Hey, I'm upset because it's so hard finding people with the same worldviews to talk about such an important topic like politics. We need this outlet and the debates may have been heated but they were educational like the one on secession. I have people to be more mean in the theological section than the political one. I hope someone can create a board so that we can talk about those things from a reformed word and life view.

Originally posted by bigheavyq
:mad::mad::mad:

Hey, I'm upset because it's so hard finding people with the same worldviews to talk about such an important topic like politics. We need this outlet and the debates may have been heated but they were educational like the one on secession. I have people to be more mean in the theological section than the political one. I hope someone can create a board so that we can talk about those things from a reformed word and life view.

You mean, Have a Worldview section?

There's plenty of hard core, bitter and heated discourse left to do. It's not like Baptism is off limits. Golly!

If a Presbyterian dog and a Baptist dog were fighting and you threw a large bucket of water on them, would that be considered an unfair endorsement of the Baptist dog's argument?

See, there's plenty to fight over, but please - NO BITING! :)

Originally posted by maxdetail
If a Presbyterian dog and a Baptist dog were fighting and you threw a large bucket of water on them, would that be considered an unfair endorsement of the Baptist dog's argument?
Oh yeah, sure, put the Presbyterian dog first and THEN the Baptist dog. I'm surprised you didn't decrease the font size of the Baptist dog so we could just barely see it.

And why do you assume that the Baptist dog was arguing! Did you ever stop to think that there's a possibility that the Presbyterian dog was arguing and the Baptist dog was trying to reason with the Presbyterian dog!!!

I know what you're trying to do, and its not gonna work!!

[Edited on 12-23-2004 by blhowes]

Originally posted by joshua
I think it worked, BobH.
...well, maybe so, but ...

Wait a minute! Who's side are you on...you don't by any chance own a dog ... a big dog...a big Presbyterian dog???

And why do you assume that the Baptist dog was arguing! Did you ever stop to think that there's a possibility that the Presbyterian dog was arguing and the Baptist dog was trying to reason with the Presbyterian dog!!!

I know what you're trying to do, and its not gonna work!!

Actually a Baptist dog would never argue...as long as you provide him with lots of potlucks! :lol:

BTW, what is he trying to do!!

Originally posted by Ivan
Actually a Baptist dog would never argue...as long as you provide him with lots of potlucks! :lol:
:lol:

Originally posted by Ivan
BTW, what is he trying to do!!
MY GUESS IS THAT HE'S TRYING TO GET ONE OR MORE BAPTISTS TO LOSE THEIR COOL AND START ARGUING IN AN IRRATIONAL MANNER. THEN HE'LL COME BACK LATER, COOL AS A CUCUMBER, AND ACCUSE US OF BEING TOTALLY IRRATIONAL AND ARGUMENTATIVE.

[calming down]
I'm ok now.
[/calming down]

See, you let your hearts rule your minds. For it to be an endorsement of the Baptist dog, you would have to throw the dog in the bucket.

For a true endorsement of the Presbyterian dog, you would have had to splash him when he was a pup. (But the splash wouldn't necessarily mean he was a purebread) :banana:

OK Mods, I'm confused, why do I still see politics forum? As I read the letter that Fred wrote it seemed like that forum was going to dissappear.

And since this seems to be the forum to present reclamas to the decision of the "Session"......

What is more important: discussing music from reformed worldview (RWV) or discussing politics from an RWV? RWV as it relates to I, ROBOT or Usama Bin Laden; trying to figure out what's more weighty or needful...... What is more difficult: understanding theological concepts or understanding how to live those concepts out in real world situations that are tied into sin driven gordian knots?

And thus far I have seen no one in the politics forum's orthodoxy or "reformedness" called into question as has clearly occurred on other forums. What's worse, suggesting that one is dangerously close to falling into voting like a right leaning Democrat or suggesting that one's theology is dangerously close to Arminianism?

Having had my say, I stand by ready to vigorously execute whatever decision the Admins make/have made. If the decision to euthanize the politics forum sticks though, does anyone out there know of another like place to discuss political issues amongst the reformed?

Chuck

Chuck,

I added you to the forum list because I considered that you would want it. THe politics forum is not "gone" it is simply gone from regular view, including the lurkers (of which there are many).

Ya gut, Ich verstandet...

Thanks Fred, you must be an apostle, a prophet or gotten a "word" or something cause you read my mind.

Originally posted by twogunfighter
Ya gut, Ich verstandet...

Thanks Fred, you must be an apostle, a prophet or gotten a "word" or something cause you read my mind.

:lol:

Oh no, now I may get stoned! Because I am often wrong!

To all - I think I added everyone who asked for it to the Politics Forum. If I haven't post here or U2U me.

Oooo...Ooooo...Mr. Kottah...Me too!

Fred,

I see that I'm on the Politics forum (thank you) but may I also be added to ye ol' pub and the country/world news too?

you da man..

Added. I have not done anything with the news forum yet, because it needs to be moved around a bit. Look for that soon.

I also am very disappointed. As a Calvinist AND a Pacifist, I was really really really happy to have a place I could discuss the issue with people who share my theological beliefs. I was engaged a great deal in the discussion Jacob and I were having on that particular issue, and I am not only upset, but I'm a little angry that our conversation (which was very civil, I think. Cotton was getting a little pumped up, but I'm not sure why) was just simply cut-off.

I am a little frustrated.

I'd like to be added to all three as well, please.

And it is still completely beyond me why anyone is upset in any sense - the forums are not gone, which means those who would like to discuss politics here may still do so just as much as before. The only change is that they will now be removed from public view.

Yes, I agree, Chris. They are there just as much as before. We can discuss things that we need to discuss as Christian brothers and sisters. And we can do it in camera. Its the best of both worlds, not a restricting of it. And if things get out of line, its not before a watching world, but in our own setting.

What a good idea!

Just wondering for clarification purposes about where certain topics like, for example, abortion fit in on the discussion board. Would that fall under news, politics, theology, general discussions or ??? Any further guidance on the groundrules for such discussion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back