Shall we thus requite the Lord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Ralph Erskine (The Nature and Excellency of Purity opened), Sermons 1:343-344:

Why, then, say you, the believer may do as he pleaseth, and sin as he listeth; for there is no fear of him...

But let us take the believer at himself, and see if this be consistent with the grain of the child of God. Your sin is pardoned; therefore go and take your fill of sin. God hath delivered you from hell; therefore go and walk in the way of hell. God hath loved you with an everlasting love; therefore vent your enmity against God to the uttermost. He acts like a God of love to you; therefore act you like a devil against him. God will honour you with the enjoyment of himself for ever in heaven; therefore go your way and dishonour him as you can. Oh! no, no. Such expressions would offend the generation of the righteous and of true believers. It would make the hairs of their head to stand, if we may be allowed the expression, and their bowels to tremble; for the quite contrary is ingrained in their new nature: Shall we thus requite the Lord? Shall we render hatred for love?

Last edited:
The area of the 3rd use of the law is so neglected in the circles I run in, and if I heard this phrase once I have heard it a million times without any qualification..."No matter what or how many sins you commit know that God loves you".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back