Sharing the Lord's Supper outside a formalized church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Hello;

This is a question about sharing the Lord's Supper.

We have a missionary conference. We come together to talk and pray. Someone also wants to share the Lord's Supper.

Is this permissible?

Most missionaries are ordained elder-qualified men sent out from their home churches. Therefore, when we have a field conference is it okay to hold the Supper? We are not a formalized church, but does that matter, and where's the proof?

Likewise, at pastor's meetings, assemblies of pastors is it okay to share the Supper, since elder-qualified men will administer it?

As long it is done in the context of a worship service and the elements are properly handled and guarded then I do not see anything wrong with it.

Most missionaries are ordained elder-qualified men sent out from their home churches. Therefore, when we have a field conference is it okay to hold the Supper? We are not a formalized church, but does that matter, and where's the proof?

I have no proof, but I wouldn't partake. The Lord's Supper is a function of the church, and should be administered in the church, not during church related activities.

So how come it is administered at Presbytery meetings and the General Assembly in most Presbyterian denoms?

So how come it is administered at Presbytery meetings and the General Assembly in most Presbyterian denoms?

At the last General Synod I attended, the Lord's Supper was served but a sermon was also preached in the context of a worship service.

In general, the Lord's supper shouldn't be administered apart from the preached Word. I know pastors who sometimes administer the Lord's supper to shut-ins who cannot attend church, but they always bring along at least another elder and hold a brief worship time which includes the preaching of the gospel.

Because a Presbytery is a church. It is the church that holds my membership.

So Presbyterians could but congregationalists could not?

I suppose congregationalists could do so in the same way that they have some form of connectionalism but pretend that they are not Presbyterians. :) ;)

As long it is done in the context of a worship service and the elements are properly handled and guarded then I do not see anything wrong with it.

Benjamin,

You do realize that your previous position on closed communion makes this impossible, don't you?

So Presbyterians could but congregationalists could not?

I suppose congregationalists could do so in the same way that they have some form of connectionalism but pretend that they are not Presbyterians. :) ;)

"Connectionalism" is a new word for me.

Can you explain all this deeper to me.

Would connectionalism allow parachurches as well and missionary societies and free associations with Christians for good purposes even if outside a local church?

I think that's why Elders in Presbyterian churches cannot be tried in a regular church court, as their membership is technically in their Presbytery rather than in the congregation.

You know, when you separate the Lord's Table from Passover by administering it more than once per year, it ends up requiring all sorts of complex rules to police it. When you leave the template, it kinds of floats all over the place and has to be pinned down somehow. Or so it seems to me.

Much of our understanding in regard to this will depend on our take on verses such as Acts 2:42, 46. What is "breaking bread" in this context? If we agree that it is the Lord's Supper, then it is permissible wherever God's people are gathered in the name of Christ. If not, then other factors must be considered.

Not to get off topic (but hey I started this thread) it seems the NT folks celebrated more than once per year right?

But the Supper is an ordinance of the church and occurs in a church context.

Yet sent out missionaries are usually like ordained extra-ecclesiastical elders. Can elders and pastors freely associate for a preacher's meeting or mission conference and partake?

Daily, in the early church, per my post above.

That's the logical out come. If there's more value in taking Communion quarterly than yearly, then there's more value in doing it ever month. And if there's more value in doing it every month than quarterly, then it goes to every week, then every day, and so forth.

Benjamin,

You do realize that your previous position on closed communion makes this impossible, don't you?

That is my point, and proves that you have not thought through all the consequences of your position. It is a logical impossibility for the elements to be "properly guarded" in the OP scenario.

Daily, in the early church, per my post above.
That's the logical out come. If there's more value in taking Communion quarterly than yearly, then there's more value in doing it ever month. And if there's more value in doing it every month than quarterly, then it goes to every week, then every day, and so forth.

I'm waiting for hourly. :rolleyes:

Benjamin,

That is my point, and proves that you have not thought through all the consequences of your position. It is a logical impossibility for the elements to be "properly guarded" in the OP scenario.

C'mon I'm just a Seminary Student don't punch a hole in all my dreams of the perfect church yet!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back