Should a Pastor Buy or Rent a Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big proponent of manses/parsonages for churches. They make life easier for both the congregation and the minister. I know several churches that sold their manses and have long regretted it, especially small churches. I love living in a manse, it makes life so much easier and gives us far more flexibility.

And when you retire, instead of having a paid-for house, purchased with a tax advantaged housing allowance, you'll be renting with your retirement income.

In my case that is not true. It also isn't the case if you, like I have done, prepare correctly for that now. There is a fallacy in housing allowance and "equity" being the only way to prepare for the kind of scenario you propose.

I agree with Ben. I love living in a manse. I didn't have to come to a strange city, try to figure out which neighborhoods were best, find an honest Realtor, deal with mortgage companies, etc. We moved in to a beautifully remodeled home that our tiny congregation had also stocked with basic provisions. When we eventually move on, we will not have to deal with selling this house (much less possibly facing two mortgages). Repairs and maintenance are handled at no expense to us (though Ben must have it easier---Tim has to deal with all the repairmen for both the church and the manse!). Having the manse near the church (we can see the property from our adjoining backyard) is convenient, too.

Now, given that's not an option at most churches, I'd recommend renting unless you feel fairly certain you'll be there, in that specific house, for five years or more. In a new city (which is usually the case), that's a big commitment to make given the limited time one has to explore before the move.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but putting the Manse issue aside, does renting rather than buying send a signal that the pastor has one foot out the door and may be looking to move to something better as quickly as he can, while a purchase may signal a commitment to the community?

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but putting the Manse issue aside, does renting rather than buying send a signal that the pastor has one foot out the door and may be looking to move to something better as quickly as he can, while a purchase may signal a commitment to the community?

Or does it show that the pastor does not want the hassles of upkeeping a home and would rather have someone else worry about it?

My biggest concern for pastors living in manses/parsonages is the event that the church turns on them and they are all of a sudden out of an income and a place to live. I have known a couple of pastors who; when they were deemed unwanted, nearly lost everything because of the sudden discontinuation of income, so I imagine that the situation would be far worse if that took place in a church where the pastor was their tenant.

My biggest concern for pastors living in manses/parsonages is the event that the church turns on them and they are all of a sudden out of an income and a place to live. I have known a couple of pastors who; when they were deemed unwanted, nearly lost everything because of the sudden discontinuation of income, so I imagine that the situation would be far worse if that took place in a church where the pastor was their tenant.
Many (most?) of us living in manses save the money we would spend on housing and set it aside. Removing a minister is a slow process in Presbyterian circles, so there would be time to prepare. Again, I think it would be worse to have no income, yet have a mortgage that must be paid.

In Scotland, there have frequently been times when Ministers have been "turned on" unjustly. But even in these cases, the Christian Church being what it is, can be gracious with people. I know of one man who was thrown out of the Ministry (wrongly) and was allowed to stay in his manse for 6 months.

Other times, Men in the Ministry have violated the office and need to be thrown out - but the Christian Church still deals graciously with them - and gives them all the help it can in order to move on.

One of the practical benefits of Biblical Church Government. :knox:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back