Should Church Musicians Be Paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should congregants who sing get paid?

Then why should the people that "accompany" them?

Well, they need to buy new strings for their guitars, right? And pianists need the copywrited editions of the pieces that are required for various needs, such as prayer services, processionals, recessionals, offertories, weddings, etc.

As a job? That depends on the services required of them. It can be a full time job, but mostly it isn't.

As a church musician, I say no. A worker is worthy of his wages, but a church musician is not a worker in that sense. Only the minister of the gospel need be paid.

In Christ,

KC

if the music of the church requires 40 hours a week for preparation (which translates to the musicians giving(ministry) full time effort, then they should be paid a salary commensurate with their experience and general cost of living.

If this cannot be done, then the church should scale back their musical operations in a manner suitable for the musicians to have a full time vocation whilst performing their musical functions on a part time basis.

but then again one has to ask themselves is it really necessary for a church to be extensive in music? A couple of instruments and 2-3 singers could suffice. In the Old Testament, it was all the descendents of Gershom, hence those guys back then had a full congregation, and were paid fully for their services since it was full time.

But today in our world I haven't seen a legitimate opportunity that justifies the usage of such grand musical designs, but heck, that would only mean hearing Handel's Messiah performed by the secularists.

I've played guitar in worship bands in two churches for the last ten years and have never been paid, and I wouldn't expect to get paid. I see a trend however, where a lot of churches are starting to pay musicians for the worship band, which I think stems from the desire to have a "hot band". Not every church is blessed to have talented guitar players, bass players and drummers in their midst, so if they want contemporary worship what else can they do? (I'm not saying I agree with it-- just stating this is what I think).

No.

When I'm the pianist for church - that is not a job. It's an act of service. You wouldn't pay the ushers or the greeters, would you? Or what about the ladies who do all the work getting ready for the fellowship meals (I've helped out occassionally - and that is a LOT more work than playing the piano!).

If special music were required, then reimbursement might be in order. But, as a general rule, I don't see why it would be needed - hymns work just fine for offeratories, and if you want to do something else, fine (within reason!), but that's your choice.

Originally posted by Puddleglum
No.

When I'm the pianist for church - that is not a job. It's an act of service. You wouldn't pay the ushers or the greeters, would you? Or what about the ladies who do all the work getting ready for the fellowship meals (I've helped out occassionally - and that is a LOT more work than playing the piano!).

:up::up:

Not under most situations. Obviously if the position is a full-time one, such as the music director at Grace, it would be a different thing.

Side Note:
When I was in school, I had a classmate who was a recruiter for one of the music conservatories in Los Angeles. She told us how churches would hire pagan, God hating students from her school to play at their services and then have them leave during the preaching. Incredible what people will do in order toworship god.

Originally posted by matthew

Side Note:
When I was in school, I had a classmate who was a recruiter for one of the music conservatories in Los Angeles. She told us how churches would hire pagan, God hating students from her school to play at their services and then have them leave during the preaching. Incredible what people will do in order toworship god.

This is too true. Long ago, for almost three years, I was an organ major at school. I was completely in rebellion against God and so were all my classmates. We were hired by churches to provide an atmosphere and we were paid, more or less, to be professionals. Nobody cared about our souls. It was a business deal.

I praise God that I was later saved. I have no desire to be a professional church musician, even though at one time it was my aspiration. I praise God that we found a church that emphasizes preaching the truth and that worships in simplicity. We do not have any musical performances or bands. Just congregational singing.

When God first saved me, I wanted to write songs for Him. Shortly thereafter, I scrapped any attempt at writing lyrics and chose to set psalms from the KJV to music. They were more like arias than (properly defined above) bar songs. I finished a few, but as I learned more about the Puritans and the Reformation, I felt like adding a warning to the first page:

"For home use or public performance only. Not intended for corporate worship."

I just didn't want to contribute to the trend of having professionals performing during worship. At this point, I doubt they will ever see print. The sit on my harpsichord and we sing them at home sometimes.

Vic

Originally posted by Rick Larson
......is my question.

Not the music director, but the piano, guitar, bass player, etc.

Well, let's see...

First, the Minister of the Word leads worship (so we can toss the need for a music director).

Second, we really only need simple and reverent worship by congregational singing of hymns and psalms to piano (maybe organ) accompaniment (so we can toss the guitar, bassist, slobbering drummer, etc.).

That eliminates a whole host of problems! :D

Originally posted by Slippery
if the music of the church requires 40 hours a week for preparation (which translates to the musicians giving(ministry) full time effort, then they should be paid a salary commensurate with their experience and general cost of living.

If this cannot be done, then the church should scale back their musical operations in a manner suitable for the musicians to have a full time vocation whilst performing their musical functions on a part time basis.

:ditto:

Robin

Originally posted by Archlute
Well, let's see...

First, the Minister of the Word leads worship (so we can toss the need for a music director).

Second, we really only need simple and reverent worship by congregational singing of hymns and psalms to piano (maybe organ) accompaniment (so we can toss the guitar, bassist, slobbering drummer, etc.).

That eliminates a whole host of problems! :D

:amen: and :amen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back