Should friend partake in the Lord's Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Eshelman

Puritan Board Senior
Need some advice on counsel to give to friend please.

A friend of mine has come to me wondering if she should partake in the Lord's Supper.

A fellow brother has sinned against her and another friend. Matthew 18 is in process, and currently in the hands of the Session. Session has met with her and the other friend, and the one that has committed the sin separately.

Now, while things are yet "being dealt with" by the Session, there is Lord's Supper coming up. Her question to me was should she partake while her and a brother are not at peace. While she has examined herself to make sure she is not in sin, and not in bitterness, she thinks it is wrong that Session is bringing these members to the table that are not at peace.

My counsel was that she should not refuse the means of grace because of another person, that she should trust that God will deal with this situation, and to partake in the Supper if she is right with God.

What would you say to this friend? Should she partake while this is all "in the process?"

Thanks, Nate

A lapse in discipline and the inclusion of the lapsed does not pollute the worship of God to those who worship in spirit and truth.

A lapse in discipline and the inclusion of the lapsed does not pollute the worship of God to those who worship in spirit and truth.

I am someone who has only attended churches where there is no church discipline and a very "open" form of the Lord's Supper, so could you please elaborate?

she is fine, it would be wrong for her not to participate. This question presumes an interpretation of "judging the body rightly".

A friend of mine has come to me wondering if she should partake in the Lord's Supper.

A fellow brother has sinned against her and another friend. Matthew 18 is in process, and currently in the hands of the Session. Session has met with her and the other friend, and the one that has committed the sin separately.

Now, while things are yet "being dealt with" by the Session, there is Lord's Supper coming up. Her question to me was should she partake while her and a brother are not at peace. While she has examined herself to make sure she is not in sin, and not in bitterness, she thinks it is wrong that Session is bringing these members to the table that are not at peace.

My counsel was that she should not refuse the means of grace because of another person, that she should trust that God will deal with this situation, and to partake in the Supper if she is right with God.

What would you say to this friend? Should she partake while this is all "in the process?"

Thanks, Nate

Nate -

I think you've advised her wisely and agree with Rev. Winzer's assessment. She has done what she can do - presumably since the situation is with the Session, she and her offended friend have approached the one who has sinned against them, and found no recourse in that action. Ideally their approach to this person should have healed the rift, but it clearly has not - as far as your friend goes, she has followed the spirit of Matthew 5:24, and now things await the Session's action.

Suppose reconciliation never took place and the offender was barred from the table indefinitely. Would she then rightly be barred as well? Me genoito.

Todd

Thanks, Nate

The Biblical steps have been taken to the point of it being before the session. At this point the session is, I assume, taking the time and effort to resolve the matter and has not yet judged that anyone involved should be barred from the Lord's table.

Apply I Cor 11:28.

I am someone who has only attended churches where there is no church discipline and a very "open" form of the Lord's Supper, so could you please elaborate?

My statement presupposes church discipline and oversight as normative. But where this is not properly carried out, the validity of the sacraments depends on God's appointment not man's faithfulness. Rom. 3:3, 4 -- man's unfaithfulness does not nullify God's faithfulness to His covenant.

I have seen what I think is a too broad application of Paul's warning. In a broad proper context the Corinthian church was seperating over socio-economic lines when coming together. The have's were sharing a costly meal while shutting out the have not's physically in the gathering. in my opinion this has been too broadly applied even to personal introspection about worthiness to partake in the sacrament. We are all unworthy and should consider the context of the Corinthian church before making hedgeing around the table. :2cents:

My pastor once said... if you know you've messed up (speaking to believers).. you need to run not walk to the Lord's table! (figuratively of course hehe, the elements are passed out at our church).

There's no level of how sinlessness we need to be in order to participate in the Lord's supper. It's realizing how sinful we are, how Christ paid for our debt, trusting in him for our righteousness before God, and repenting of our sins. :2cents:

I was in a similar situation about 18 months ago. Someone I was in a dispute with came to church (I had taken the matter to the pastors - it hadn't been resolved, and still hasn't) and we happened to have the Lord's Supper that week. I chose not to partake, though she did partake. It just didn't feel right to have share the bread and cup with someone under the circumstances; it would be like denying that there was a problem there. I wouldn't seek to bind anyone else's conscience under the same circumstances though. Nor do I think that it would in any way make the sacrament invalid, for the same reasons others have stated, I just thought it unwise at the time.

My pastor once said... if you know you've messed up (speaking to believers).. you need to run not walk to the Lord's table! (figuratively of course hehe, the elements are passed out at our church).

There's no level of how sinlessness we need to be in order to participate in the Lord's supper. It's realizing how sinful we are, how Christ paid for our debt, trusting in him for our righteousness before God, and repenting of our sins. :2cents:

Well said. But those who remain in scandalous sin should not be admitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back