Should lay members be required to affirm the confession of Faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwright82

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
As I understand it the URCNA requires its lay members to affirm the 3 Forms of Unity to be church members. Presbyterian churchs do not. What is in anyone's opinion the better and more practical view?

I thought Presbyterian churches required affirmation to the WCF for membership. The EPC church I attend for Bible study requires a WCF course for anyone considering membership.

Every PCA church that I've been a part of requires some sort of new members class where the WCF is explained. But to become a member one need not be confessional. In order to hold an ordained office one must be.

I think this is a Biblical approach. I can't imagine denying membership to the local church for a brother or sister in the Lord who still doesn't have all of his or her theology nailed down completely. If anything, submission to the shepherding of a local session would help guide another believer in his or her understanding. I've been told there are enough Reformed Baptists in PCA churches to start a whole new denomination =)

I thought Presbyterian churches required affirmation to the WCF for membership. The EPC church I attend for Bible study requires a WCF course for anyone considering membership.

The OPC and the PCA do not. I was speaking in generalities. The principle is valid enough to ask a the question.

I've been told there are enough Reformed Baptists in PCA churches to start a whole new denomination

I think that illustrates the problem. How is a Presbyterian church supposed to deal with that, if we believe the parents have a duty to baptize their children?

(For the record, I'm not completely sure what I think on this question yet.)

This URCNA layman heartily commends confessional membership as the Biblical and better practice. It is vital that the church's confession be just that: the church's confession. You can find some previous discussion with defenses of the practice in the following threads:

Contemporary Presbyterian churches do not typically require that members assent to the church's whole confession when joining a church. You can find a previous survey of which churches practice confessional membership here: Confessional Membership?

I've been told there are enough Reformed Baptists in PCA churches to start a whole new denomination

I think that illustrates the problem. How is a Presbyterian church supposed to deal with that, if we believe the parents have a duty to baptize their children?

(For the record, I'm not completely sure what I think on this question yet.)

I would say it's the job of the elders to shepherd the flock. They were patient with me as I worked through the issue. I was thankful for the accountability and guidance. There have even been some occasions where some Presbyterian elders have encouraged their Baptist brethren to start a new congregation and maintain friendly cooperative ties.

The OPC does NOT require adherence to the Westminster Standards for membership as James mentioned. Officers are required to subscribe, but regular members are not. I agree that it is probably best that way. We want the church to be open to as many Christians as possible. Now with that said, we do explain to prospective members that the Westminster Standards are our denomination's confession and our church's confession. We explain that the doctrine of the Westminster Standards are what will be preached from the pulpit and taught in all our classes. We explain that strict adherence is not required for membership, but we do expect proper submission to the church's authority, so essentially they are agreeing to the Westminster Standards, at least passively. Basically we want them to know that because the WCF, WLC, and WSC are our church's standard, if they actively oppose them, they will either need to humbly submit anyway or this church is probably not best for them. We don't specifically word it like that, but you (and they) get the gist of our expectations.

Here is what is required of a person to affirm to become a member:

From the BCO, Directory for the Public Worship of God, IV.B.2:
(1) Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?

(2) Do you believe in one living and true God, in whom eternally there are three distinct persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit—who are the same in being and equal in power and glory, and that Jesus Christ is God the Son, come in the flesh?

(3) Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, that you repent of your sin, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?

(4) Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord, and do you promise that, in reliance on the grace of God, you will serve him with all that is in you, forsake the world, resist the devil, put to death your sinful deeds and desires, and lead a godly life?

(5) Do you promise to participate faithfully in this church's worship and service, to submit in the Lord to its government, and to heed its discipline, even in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life?

If a person can publicly agree to the above five points, then they are welcome to be a member in our church. Again, notice that vow #5 is a vow to, at minimum, passively agree to the Westminster Standards since they are what will be taught in our church.

I don't think church members need to subscribe to the Confessions, but I agree with Andres in that prospective members should know that they are joining a church that believes and teaches the Confessions. I think Membership courses about the Confession of Faith should be done and allow the person to become familiar and ask any questions they might have. However, as was mentioned, I don't think somebody not quite understanding something theologically yet is a good reason to deny them membership.

I agree with Andres. My church was the same, in fact you were required to write down on the forms they gave us where (if at all) you knowingly disagreed with the confession or Reformed theology. I also believe that it is the task of any church who practices this to offer specific classes to teach through the confession and catechisms. On the other hand I like what Bryan said here

It is vital that the church's confession be just that: the church's confession.

I think the Lay should attempt to learn the confession of the Church they are considering to become members of to find places of agreement and possible exceptions, PRIOR to joining a church in membership. It took my wife and I a year to go over the Westminster Standards before we applied for membership. We were not about to join ourselves to a church in membership which had a confession that they adheared to, taught from, and enforced, prior to us comparing it line by line to the scripture. We had never heard of a confession at that time.

The Free Church of Scotland doesn't require subscription to the WCF of non-communicant or communicant members, just office bearers.

This URCNA layman heartily commends confessional membership as the Biblical and better practice.

What about baptized children professing faith? If they refuse to subscribe to the confession are they expelled or denied communion? I'm just curious.

The RPCNA requires subscription to the standards and testimony.
Interesting. Are members permitted to disagree with the Testimony wherein it conflicts with the Confession?

Yes. I was able to do this very thing. I stated my disagreement with the Testimony where it conflicted with the Confession.

Interesting. Are members permitted to disagree with the Testimony wherein it conflicts with the Confession?

That is an interesting question that I do not yet have an answer to. Maybe one of our other RPCNA brethren can answer? :bueller:

Thanks Tim.

Last edited:

The OPC and the PCA do not. I was speaking in generalities. The principle is valid enough to ask a the question.

Anyone seeking to join an ARP congregation is supposed to answer in the affirmative to seven questions, one of which is:

(5) Do you accept the doctrines and principles of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, so far as you understand them, as agreeable to and founded on the Word of God?

But, to answer your question: I think the ARP question is sufficient.

That is an interesting question that I do not yet have an answer to. Maybe one of our other RPCNA brethren can answer? :bueller:

Thanks Tim.

From the RPCNA Constitution

Any person capable of forming moral judgments and of making decisions
for himself may be received into communicant membership in the Reformed
Presbyterian Church, upon credible profession of faith, baptism, and acceptance
of the Covenant of Church Membership. Communicant members have an obligation to present their children for baptism and to do all in their power to rear
their children so that they will seek communicant membership in the church.

The Covenant of Communicant Membership

1. Do you believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to
be the Word of God, the only infallible rule for faith and life?

2. Do you believe in the one living and true God—Father, Son, and
Holy Spirit, as revealed in the Scriptures?

3. Do you repent of your sin; confess your guilt and helplessness as
a sinner against God; profess Jesus Christ, Son of God, as your Saviour
and Lord; and dedicate yourself to His service: Do you promise that
you will endeavor to forsake all sin, and to conform your life to His
teaching and example?

4. Do you promise to submit in the Lord to the teaching and government of this church as being based upon the Scriptures and described
in substance in the Constitution of the Reformed Presbyterian Church
of North America? Do you recognize your responsibility to work with
others in the church and do you promise to support and encourage
them in their service to the Lord? In case you should need correction in
doctrine or life, do you promise to respect the authority and discipline
of the church?

5. To the end that you may grow in the Christian life, do you promise
that you will diligently read the Bible, engage in private prayer, keep the
Lord’s Day, regularly attend the worship services, observe the appointed
sacraments, and give to the Lord’s work as He shall prosper you?

6. Do you purpose to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness in all the relationships of life, faithfully to perform your whole
duty as a true servant of Jesus Christ, and seek to win others to Him?

7. Do you make this profession of faith and purpose in the presence of God, in humble reliance upon His grace, as you desire to give
your account with joy at the Last Great Day?

As has been noted, rightly, on this board, there is a distinction in the membership requirements that has prevailed between the churches that come from the Church of Scotland (Free Church, OPC, PCA, etc.) and those that come from the Covenanting and Seceding tradition (RPCNA, ARP, etc.). The former tend not to require "confessional membership," while the latter do (see #21).

This is important to note because the OP might give the impression that the great distinction here is between the confessional continental churches (such as the URCNA) and the churches of the Scottish/American Presbyterian tradition. While covenanting churches (e.g., RPCNA) have been rather stricter, as I understand it, in maintaining confessional membership, continental churches, like the URCNA, have not been as direct in that respect. Specifically, the sort of question asked in the continental tradition upon a public profession of faith touching on this issue is along these lines: Q.2. "Do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God...and that the confessions of this church faithfully reflect this revelation?"

The impression given is that in the continental tradition, "confessional membership" prevails and there is little, if any, difference between that which the ordinary member must give in assenting to the Three Forms of Unity and that which the office-bearer must give. But that is not so. Read the continental form of subscription. And take this into account for the OPC. This is the second question at the baptism of an infant: (2) "Do you promise to teach diligently to [name of child] the principles of our holy Christian faith, revealed in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and summarized in the Confession of Faith and Catechisms of this Church?"

Thus, that second baptismal vow, together with the fifth membership question, shows that there is not such a great distance with our continental brethren who, at public profession of faith, do not, as such, subcribe the Three Forms of Unity in the same way the Covenanters do the Westminster Standards.

Peace,
Alan

Are infants members of the church? WCF 25.2 answers, Yes. May infants partake of communion. WCF 29.8 answers, No, on the understanding that infants are included among the ignorant. So, from the outset, confessional churches have a twofold membership. Further, are all communicants placed in the same relation to the church? WCF 30.1-2, answers, No. The government of the church has been placed in the hand of church officers by the King and Head of the church, and to these are committed the keys of the kingdom of heaven. On this confessional basis, it is false to assert that the members of the church are the church. It is on the basis of this false assertion that "confessional membership" is maintained. There are clear distinctions within the membership of the church which establishes distinct requirements in each case.

Matthew:

Thanks for your theological exposition. I was thinking about doing something along those lines after posting what I did in #22, which was oriented in terms of history and practice, not so much in terms of what the correct practice is.

I agree entirely with you and believe, biblically and confessionally, the correct practice to be as you note it: There is both a two-fold membership and a distinction to be made between those who exercise the keys and those who do not.

Peace,
Alan

I agree entirely with you and believe, biblically and confessionally, the correct practice to be as you note it: There is both a two-fold membership and a distinction to be made between those who exercise the keys and those who do not.

Thankyou, Alan. Do you know if the same distinctions are clearly expressed in the three forms of unity? I've often heard that the Dutch Reformed are broader rather than higher when it comes to church authority. I'm not in a position to evaluate the claim, but if that is the case it might explain the different practice.

Matthew:

As I noted, I think that there's more difference historically between covenanting Presbyterians and mainstream confessional Presbyterians--the former holding to "confessional membership" and the latter construing a credible profession faith as not requiring such--than there is between those more historically mainstream Presbyterians and the Reformed . I think that there's less difference both in tone and practice between the mainstream confessional Presbyterians and the practitioners of the continental tradition, those who hold to the church order from Dordt. What exactly is the URCNA requiring in that second question? Full confessional membership. I don't think so. Opinions differ among those to whom I've spoken, with some men of years seeing the requirements as, practically speaking, not that different than the Presbyterian's.

I would say that the Three Forms of Unity would distinguish both between the baptized, yet unprofessing members, and those who profess their faith, although that distinction is being eroded in the CRCNA, which now permits, if not encourages, paedocommunion. And they would certainly distinguish between members of the congregation and the consistory, the latter only having the keys.

The question of the authority of judicatories beyond the local one (broader/higher) seems to me a different question but I may be missing you on that one.

Peace,
Alan

The question of the authority of judicatories beyond the local one (broader/higher) seems to me a different question but I may be missing you on that one.

The argument I have been given by Dutch Reformed folk is that their "broader" authority indicates more congregational authority. I'm wondering if "more congregational authority" might require higher standards of membership. I remember the Independents of the 17th century connected together their idea of congregational power with higher qualifications. It could be that something more moderate is happening with the Dutch Reformed system. Again, I'm not in a position to know if "broader authority" is a correct presentation. It is simply the way it has been represented to me by Dutch Reformed folk.

Matthew:

Since the broader/higher distinction usually has to do with judicatories beyond the local (classes and synods for the Reformed), I was unclear as to your meaning. Thanks for the explanation. I get it now.

And I think that the answer to the question of the Refomed giving the congregation more authority is definitely "no." Historic Reformed polity in my estimation accords less to the congregation than does Presbyterianism. It's true in the historic Dordt order and it's even more so in the URCNA.

The URCNA regards any decision by the congregation (the actions, in other words, of congregational meetings) as purely advisory. All authority vests in the local governing body--the Consistory. So much so, in fact, that in the Church Order, Consistory alone is capitalized and classis and synod (not capitalized) have no existence except when meeting. Cornel Venema, in his article in the Godfrey festschrift, rightly points out that the common allegation of "congregationalism" with respect to the URCNA Church Order is incorrect: it's not congregationalism (which has no real power) but "consistorialism." I should hasten to add that this does not play out in the same way in the historic Dordt order (the URCNA Church Order is a truncation of Dordt)--both the CRC and the RCA, e.g., retain a fuller church order.

Peace,
Alan

Cornel Venema, in his article in the Godfrey festschrift, rightly points out that the common allegation of "congregationalism" with respect to the URCNA Church Order is incorrect:

Alan, Thankyou for the clarification, and for giving me further reason to purchase that volume.

Anyone seeking to join an ARP congregation is supposed to answer in the affirmative to seven questions, one of which is:

(5) Do you accept the doctrines and principles of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, so far as you understand them, as agreeable to and founded on the Word of God?

But, to answer your question: I think the ARP question is sufficient.

Not to be critical of either you, your church, or your denomonation but how do you even enforce vow 5? I mean I can say yes to it without ever understanding a single line of it. As far as I understand can mean no conscience understanding at all. How does your denomonation enforce that?

Speaking from the heart for a moment, is it Biblical to forbid a brother or sister in Christ, one who has truly repented of sin and trusted in Christ alone for salvation and is walking in a manner worthy of Him, to join with a local body of believers, submit to the local session and partake of the Lord's Supper? I don't see how such a position can be defended Biblically. I can see withholding the ability to hold church office for non-confessional believers from a Biblical position, but I can't see withholding membership into the body a sinner bought with the blood of Christ. Christ has received such into HIS kingdom, yet we cannot receive him into our churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back