Should laymen preach the word on the street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
Since one has to be called both externally (by man) and internally (by God), and licensed, ordained and seminary trained to preach the gospel does this mean a lay person should not be allowed to do street preaching?

I listen to "Way of the Master Radio" everyday on Sirius satellite and they are always pushing people to do this and I began to wonder if according to the strict reformed and Presbyterian model, is a laymen allowed to do this?

If one is not called to preach or teach or be an elder or deacon what can the lowly lay-person do for the church?

Every laymen should tell everyone within their sphere of life about Jesus as occasions arise.

This need not be in a preaching format and actually street preaching in the US is largely ineffective.

Laymen should be encouraged to tell their existing webs of relationships about Jesus and to present a solid witness to win those closest to them. That is how the early church grew, through the active involvement of the layman in lay witness as they performed acts of mercy and charity and told their immediate family webs about the Saviour.

On the PB you will have some stress that they do not believe in an "every member ministry." I am not stressing this. Every member of the body of Christ has a (little m) ministry, and are to faithfully glorify God in their sphere. However, everyone is not called to preach, though all are called to witness.

Laymen can do a lot for the church. They are not merely called to sit and listen. The spheres may be different, but all of the body of Christ are active in the stations that God has given them.

Augustine is quoted in Morals of the Catholic Church as saying:

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Now you love yourself suitably when you love God better than yourself. What, then, you aim at in yourself you must aim at in your neighbor, namely, that he may love God with a perfect affection. For you do not love him as yourself, unless you try to draw him to that good which you are yourself pursuing. For this is the one good which has room for all to pursue it along with thee. From this precept proceed the duties of human society.

I'm not saying this to defend street preaching so much as I am saying this to defend that the "lowly lay-person" can and should evangelize.

I will be coming under care this May and as I have been allowed to bring the Word to my own congregation, I do not "preach", but exhort. In the OPC only ordained ministers are allowed the privilege of "preaching" the Word.

No laymen should be "preaching."

All Christians should be "salt and light," and be "always prepared to give an answer for the reason of the hope [they] have." However, this is not the same as "preaching."

I know this has been covered before... but what exactly is the difference?

Street preaching may be a bit of a misnomer, but in any event, the object of the street preacher are those outside the visible church. The object of the minister of the Word is the congregation.

The duties belonging to the office of minister of the Word consist of continuing in prayer and in the ministry of the Word, administering the sacraments, catechizing the youth, and assisting the elders in the shepherding and discipline of the congregation.

URCNA CO, Article 2

I don't see any problem with members in good standing of a congregation who have been adequately catechized and understand the essentials of the faith bringing the gospel in this situation. The intent ought to be not to get people to "make a decision" or "invite Jesus into their heart" but rather to bring people into the congregation so that they may be discipled and baptized.

I think the alternative would be to require the minister to perform all evangelistic duties of whatever form outside the congregation. E.g., is there any fundamental difference between street preaching to a group and sharing the gospel with your neighbor over a cup of coffee?

Or maybe just present the gospel and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting, (instead of an altar call) then if the situation arises, give them the help they need by answering any questions and then lead them to a good bible believing church.

Just to be clear, we are not saying that a layman should not strike up a conversation with someone about Jesus Christ and the gospel, correct?

I listen to "Way of the Master Radio" everyday on Sirius satellite and they are always pushing people to do this and I began to wonder if according to the strict reformed and Presbyterian model, is a laymen allowed to do this?

Is that radio program saying that believers should speak to a crowd of people about Jesus on a street or have a one-on-one conversation with someone about Jesus on a street?

Is that radio program saying that believers should speak to a crowd of people about Jesus on a street or have a one-on-one conversation with someone about Jesus on a street?

Yes...Both. A good portion of the show is about evangelism and trying to convince people to get up the nerve to go out and evangelize and when you get really bold you should try street preaching. The show is actually pretty good.

You can also listen to it on the internet.

The Way of the Master Radio
It even shows a guy on this page doing some.

Since one has to be called both externally (by man) and internally (by God), and licensed, ordained and seminary trained to preach the gospel does this mean a lay person should not be allowed to do street preaching?

It is indeed wrong for a lay person to do street preaching :2cents:

Street preaching may be a bit of a misnomer, but in any event, the object of the street preacher are those outside the visible church. The object of the minister of the Word is the congregation.

I would like to challenge this.

Ordinarily, the minister ministers in an already existing congregation.

But some are called to evangelize or do missionary work and for these, then the minister exists prior to the existence of the congregation.

Thus there is a case of extra-ecclesiastical preaching, not just bringing people into the church that already exists, but being used by God to birth the church to begin with.

Your definition above ignores church planting.

Not all parts of the body of Christ are called to the office that preaches (speaks on behalf of Christ to His Church) and evangelizes (Speak on behalf of Christ to the world); however, there is a universal office of priest as well as prophet and king for all believers.

We are not preachers, however, everyone who is in Christ is an ambassador of Christ and has been given a message of reconciliation. I'll leave that to the preachers to unpack for us.

2 Cor. 5:16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Not all parts of the body of Christ are called to the office that preaches (speaks on behalf of Christ to His Church) and evangelizes (Speak on behalf of Christ to the world); however, there is a universal office of priest as well as prophet and king for all believers.

Are you telling me that a lay-person is not "called" and therefore should not speak to the person sitting beside of him on the airplane about the gospel of Jesus Christ?

Are you telling me that a lay-person is not "called" and therefore should not speak to the person sitting beside of him on the airplane about the gospel of Jesus Christ?

No, not at all

I would like to challenge this.

Ordinarily, the minister ministers in an already existing congregation.

But some are called to evangelize or do missionary work and for these, then the minister exists prior to the existence of the congregation.

Thus there is a case of extra-ecclesiastical preaching, not just bringing people into the church that already exists, but being used by God to birth the church to begin with.

Your definition above ignores church planting.

I wasn't trying to give a comprehensive definition. I was addressing the ordinary situation, not the extraordinary.

As I understood the OP, the issue had to do with the question of street "evangelism" (for lack of a better term) in an area where there were existing churches. Note my comment about the goal being to bring folks into the congregation for baptism and discipleship. Presumably those doing the work on the street or in their neighborhoods are already members in good standing of the church and under the authority of ordained leadership.

I would certainly agree that in area where the gospel is new and no churches exist, that evangelists called and ordained by the church are in order.

Could you please site scripture to support your position?

The point is rather simple, only those who have the gift of preaching should preach. Now do all have this gift? No, therefore not all should preach. Those who have the gift should be equiped and called by God. This is recognised by the Church and so these men are ordained and sent to preach. The only office of the Church that has the authority to preach is the pastor, therefore it is wrong for a lay person to preach the gospel. :2cents:

"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?" (1 Corinthians 12:29)

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11, 12)

"And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also" (2 Timothy 2:2).

An overseer must hold "fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers" (Titus 1:9)

What if we change the name of the event from "street preaching" to "lay witness" or "Street witnessing."

Then who can do it?

And when does witnessing turn into preaching?

What if we change the name of the event from "street preaching" to "lay witness" or "Street witnessing."

If a man stands up in a street and preaches the gospel this is street preaching. If a man walked upto a passer by and handed out a tract and engaged in a comversation, that is witnessing. The laity can do the latter not the former. :2cents:

Both.

Coming from a Reformed denomination, I can understand why we take preaching seriously and why we guard our pulpit . Our denomination examines thoroughly those who preach and teach. Reason #1. We don't want God's word and people's mind polluted by liberalism. #2 We don't want to divide the body of Christ #3. We hold Reformation truths that many
don't hold anymore.(This puts us in the smallest minority but we have the most powerful
truths)...of course I am bias and I believe it's true.

We hold those who preach highly accountable.

But can laymen share the Gospel -of course yes, in words and in deeds. There's no limit to our personal witness as we live as salt and light.

I drilled 20-30 kids on the Gospel and lo and behold, many kids could understand salvation in Christ and forgivenes of sins. Kids in return were trained to share the Gospel story with other kids. I believe that God's word will not return to Him void. Many kids were saved!

What dost thou think of John Bunyan? Should the tinker have been stopped and warned that he was not a Preacher? John Owen sure thought he was gifted in Preaching.

If a man stands up in a street and preaches the gospel this is street preaching. If a man walked upto a passer by and handed out a tract and engaged in a comversation, that is witnessing. The laity can do the latter not the former. :2cents:

Suppose a man hands out tracts and witnesses and a person begins to ask him questions, then asks him to give a short summary of the Gospel.

Another person becomes interested and then a third gathers around this man as he explains the Gospel. Then 6 more come and the man has to raise his voice a bit so that all can hear him as he explains the Gospel.

Then 6 more are added and someone beckons him to stand up on a tree stump to be heard all the more...

....at what point does witnessing turn into preaching?

Coming from a Reformed denomination, I can understand why we take preaching seriously and why we guard our pulpit . Our denomination examines thoroughly those who preach and teach. Reason #1. We don't want God's word and people's mind polluted by liberalism. #2 We don't want to divide the body of Christ #3. We hold Reformation truths that many
don't hold anymore.(This puts us in the smallest minority but we have the most powerful
truths)...of course I am bias and I believe it's true.

We hold those who preach highly accountable.

But can laymen share the Gospel -of course yes, in words and in deeds. There's no limit to our personal witness as we live as salt and light.

I drilled 20-30 kids on the Gospel and lo and behold, many kids could understand salvation in Christ and forgivenes of sins. Kids in return were trained to share the Gospel story with other kids. I believe that God's word will not return to Him void. Many kids were saved!

It could be argued that seminarians and the "professioanals" in the Reformed faith in the 20th Century did more harm to the pulpit than laymen ever did - liberalism and heresy have usually been from the top-down in recent reformed church history...even among those who were Confessionalistic and all that.

Could you please site scripture to support your position?

The point is rather simple, only those who have the gift of preaching should preach. Now do all have this gift? No, therefore not all should preach. Those who have the gift should be equiped and called by God. This is recognised by the Church and so these men are ordained and sent to preach. The only office of the Church that has the authority to preach is the pastor, therefore it is wrong for a lay person to preach the gospel. :2cents:

"Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?" (1 Corinthians 12:29)

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11, 12)

"And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also" (2 Timothy 2:2).

An overseer must hold "fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers" (Titus 1:9)

So, you assume that a layman cannot have the gift to preach?

We are not preachers, however, everyone who is in Christ is an ambassador of Christ and has been given a message of reconciliation. I'll leave that to the preachers to unpack for us.

2 Cor. 5:16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Matthew Henry:

2. He has appointed the ministry of reconciliation, v. 18. By the inspiration of God the scriptures were written, which contain the word of reconciliation, showing us that peace was made by the blood of the cross, that reconciliation is wrought, and directing us how we may be interested therein. And he has appointed the office of the ministry, which is a ministry of reconciliation: ministers are to open and proclaim to sinners the terms of mercy and reconciliation, and persuade them to comply therewith. For,
2. Reconciliation is here spoken of as our indispensable duty, v. 20. As God is willing to be reconciled to us, we ought to be reconciled to God. And it is the great end and design of the gospel, that word of reconciliation, to prevail upon sinners to lay aside their enmity against God. Faithful ministers are Christ's ambassadors, sent to treat with sinners on peace and reconciliation: they come in God's name, with his entreaties, and act in Christ's stead, doing the very thing he did when he was upon this earth, and what he wills to be done now that he is in heaven.

John Calvin:

The ministry of reconciliation. Here we have an illustrious designation of the gospel, as being an embassy for reconciling men to God. It is also a singular dignity of ministers -- that they are sent to us by God with this commission, so as to be messengers, and in a manner sureties. 1 This, however, is not said so much for the purpose of commending ministers, as with a view to the consolation of the pious, that as often as they hear the gospel, they may know that God treats with them, and, as it were, stipulates with them as to a return to his grace. Than this blessing what could be more desirable? Let us therefore bear in mind, that this is the main design of the gospel -- that whereas we are by nature children of wrath, (Ephesians 2:3,) we may, by the breaking up of the quarrel between God and us, be received by him into favor. Ministers are furnished with this commission, that they may bring us intelligence of so great a benefit, nay more, may assure us of God's fatherly love towards us. Any other person, it is true, might also be a witness to us of the grace of God, but Paul teaches, that this office is specially intrusted to ministers. When, therefore, a duly ordained minister proclaims in the gospel, that God has been made propitious to us, he is to be listened to just as an ambassador of God, and sustaining, as they speak, a public character, and furnished with rightful authority for assuring us of this.

I like the way Calvin puts it. Any person might be a witness, but ministers have been 'commissioned' and are therefore 'ambassadors'. That seems to be what Paul is saying because he makes the distinction between 'you' (the Corinthians) and 'us' (Gospel minsiters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back