Should Reformed Christians support Ken Ham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the various comments, many of them extremely erudite, leaves me wondering how many of the critics have actually read much of Ham's stuff or spent significant time on the AiG website. There is a pervasive tendentiousness to much of the critique that rings extremely hollow to me.

I can see validity to much of the criticism here - particularly Mr. Bottomly's and Rev. Winzer's, not the OP's accusation of Pelagianism, which I thought was rather out of nowhere. Yet I have benefited much from AiG. I was struggling with evolution as a teenager, and reading some of the articles on AiG's website helped convince me of the importance of letting Scripture say what it says and not using science to modify it. I was not convinced of this by AiG's "creation science," but by their points about the infallibility of Scripture. So I think it is fair for Rev. Winzer et al. to make valid criticisms, and yet I don't think it is being said that nobody has ever benefited from AiG.

In retrospect, I could wish I had been exposed to reformed theology and presuppositional apologetics first, instead of having to go back and re-lay some of the foundation of my creation views after coming to reformed convictions, yet this is the way it occurred in God's providence, and I'm thankful for the role AiG played. Acknowledging some good does not entail being silent about necessary criticisms. The "creation science" aspects of ministries like AiG that are being criticized here have, indeed, caused much unnecessary confusion (for evidence, see the Ham vs Nye debate), and I think it is fair game for folks to point these issues out.

Last edited:
I have contacted the organization with a request to Mr. Ham that he consider these issues. To date, no response received.
I did similar in regards to John MacArthur using images of the "shroud of Turin" on a CD cover years ago. Seriously, he used the ridiculously false image from that on a CD cover!

With regard to the Creation Museum and the 4th Commandment violations, we don't know if the people who staff it on Sundays are paid or not. They could be volunteers. Would strict Sabbatarians have a problem with a Christian volunteering at the Creation Museum on a Sunday (i.e. working there for no pay) so that people can see something edifying to their faith on the Lord's Day? After all, it is a religious organisation dedicated to the spread of the Gospel and helping Christians give a response to the hope that is within them.

That being said, if I lived nearby it ( which I wish I did), I wouldn't volunteer there without first consulting my pastor.

With regard to the Creation Museum and the 4th Commandment violations, we don't know if the people who staff it on Sundays are paid or not. They could be volunteers. Would strict Sabbatarians have a problem with a Christian volunteering at the Creation Museum on a Sunday (i.e. working there for no pay) so that people can see something edifying to their faith on the Lord's Day? After all, it is a religious organisation dedicated to the spread of the Gospel and helping Christians give a response to the hope that is within them.

That being said, if I lived nearby it ( which I wish I did), I wouldn't volunteer there without first consulting my pastor.

We are WAY off topic now. Moderators feel free to delete these posts.

The fourth commandment is to work six, rest one from the ordinary work and play of the other six days so one might prioritize the worship of God all day. That includes public and private worship (corporate, and family and individual). Resting from even activities like volunteering at the museum, however noble its purpose might be.

Seeing something edifying on the Lord's Day?
The Lord's Day is focused on God's Word and His Ways, through worship and fellowship incidental to that worship.
We "see" edifying things through the ordinary means of grace, the Word, the sacraments, prayer, and the Lord's Day especially is for that. Not volunteering for the museum.

With regard to the Creation Museum and the 4th Commandment violations, we don't know if the people who staff it on Sundays are paid or not. They could be volunteers.

Even if this were the case, I am sure they are still charging admission, and so they are still doing business on the Sabbath.

Ken Ham had a split with his former Australia ministry AIG Australia [now CMI] which caused quite a stir. He now associates with the Australian creationist John MacKay who caused a former division in the Australian ministry Regarding John Mackay - creation.com. I am not sure to what extent both divisions have been dealt with Biblically, but the scars certainly remain.

Ken Ham had a split with his former Australia ministry AIG Australia [now CMI] which caused quite a stir. He now associates with the Australian creationist John MacKay who caused a former division in the Australian ministry Regarding John Mackay - creation.com. I am not sure to what extent both divisions have been dealt with Biblically, but the scars certainly remain.

Was this something that was offered for mediation by the Christian mediation group, Peacemaker Ministries?

Was this something that was offered for mediation by the Christian mediation group, Peacemaker Ministries?
Yes I understand this did happen. But ultimately no resolution. It seems to me now that AIG and CMI compete against each other and do not sell each others books!

Lamentable . . . unfortunately all too common.

Denominations . . . church organizations . . . former pastoral staff team members . . . special purpose organizations dealing with Bible smuggling, creation apologetics, world relief, Bible translation, you name it.

Too common and way too embarrassing.

With regard to the Creation Museum and the 4th Commandment violations, we don't know if the people who staff it on Sundays are paid or not. They could be volunteers.

Even if this were the case, I am sure they are still charging admission, and so they are still doing business on the Sabbath.

I didn't think of that. Yes, I don't think charging admission on the Lord's Day is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back