Should visiting missionaries take the Lord's Supper at supporting churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember you are under authority.

That's God's authority and He has given real authority to the local church. That doesn't mean church authority is infallible, but you disobey it at your peril.

If you were visiting many of the biblical reformed Presbyterian denominations, generally, if you were a Christian, and a member of a Bible believing church (remember the idea is that you are somehow accountable under discipline there) and you were not under discipline requiring you to abstain, you could take communion there.

Scott,

Your view of authority is mistaken here. I would suggest that you revisit the confessions regarding the primary role of Scripture as the seat of authority in the church, and the prohibition of binding men's consciences through the enforcement of unbiblical practices.

Your idea that Perg would be "disobeying at his peril" deeply concerns me. Pray tell, what would we have done had Luther and other reformers not disobeyed what would have been the "real authority" of the Church of their day?

Luther was the lesser magistrate of the day. He was a doctor of theology, trained and ordained by the church to make such judgments, he was not someone from outside the church throwing stones at it. This is the same as a state government being the defense of last resort of the liberties of their citizens. A lesser magistrate is the one to call up the militia to oppose the central government when/if they violate the constitution. As an individual citizen, I have no authority to oppose the government myself, but if the governor of Virginia calls up the militia, I am a member of that militia. I am by necessity of obligation encumbered to the state above the country and to God above all.

Let me see if I understand this correctly: Pergy is supported by churches who invite him to speak but would refuse their own missionary communion? That would seem to me to be a different kettle of fish than a random passing visitor to a church where they fence the table...

Yes,

There are about 4 churches that hold to an interpretation of closed communion that would necessitate that I be refused entrance into the Lord's Supper, even if they invite me to speak and support me monthly.

Yes,

There are about 4 churches that hold to an interpretation of closed communion that would necessitate that I be refused entrance into the Lord's Supper, even if they invite me to speak and support me monthly.

Sounds like the Half Way covenant ala Solomon Stoddard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back