Should we start learning Chinese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
China seems to be making headway on the international scene. Many problems in China, but in they are proving themselves a formidable player on the world stage. Predictions are that, before too long, they’ll surpass America in economic power.

I listened to one lecturer who spoke at the University of Melbourne and told them it was in the Australian peoples’ interest to learn Chinese. Their economy is more closely tied to China than any Western nation.

None knows the future, but I’d be interested in peoples’ views.

I’ve begun learning just for the fascination. On reflection, I wonder if it’s just advantageous.

Spanish will be more useful (and easier). Even if the Deep State sells out to China, China won't control America.

I doubt they will; yet still, an economic powerhouse gets a say in the terms; and the language the terms will come in. I’m thinking for economic reasons and others. May write more later.

Not this generation. Chinese is too hard. I'm sure that wherever China goes around the world with their projects, they conduct all their business in English or Spanish or French or whatever.

My family has plans of learning Chinese very soon. We found out we will be relocating within the next year for my job!

If one is going to be bilingual, pick English, Spanish, or Chinese. In that order!

If China can create a just and effective government, the future is theirs. The people are remarkably hardworking and determined -- definitely more than the US at the moment. As I mentioned somewhere else, even their films are improving. I'd already take a non-political Chinese film over Hollywoke.

As of now, things are far more tenuous for them than most realize. Xi is a huge step backwards.

As for Chinese, I've been working on it for some years on and off. Would consider myself intermediate (HSK4). Can read some, and engage in basic conversation. It's definitely challenging, but fun and totally worth it. I suspect the challenge + the ease of technology-based translation will keep a damper on the raw number of people that learn it. English will continue as the global language of choice far into the foreseeable future

Last edited:
My family has plans of learning Chinese very soon. We found out we will be relocating within the next year for my job!

If one is going to be bilingual, pick English, Spanish, or Chinese. In that order!

What about Popeye's Chicken?

This is demonstration of why I am soliciting opinions. I've been stunned to see where China really is in terms of society, economy, and technology. Even so that Popeye's Chicken is venturing in China! One has to ask the question if, in order for optimal business, you'll have to deal with China in their language.

University of Melbourne and told them it was in the Australian peoples’ interest to learn Chinese. Their economy is more closely tied to China than any Western nation.
I live in Melbourne. I am not sure what that uni professors' credentials are but I am certain that it is not in our people's interest to learn Chinese. That's bonkers. If he/she means a select few then maybe.
But since many uni students here in Melbourne are from China (maybe not so much now because of the Wuhan virus) learning Chinese may be of interest to a few people studying at uni.
This is not even mentioning the fact that Chinese is one of the hardest possible languages to learn. Many Aussies have more important things on their mind, like the gospel.

Many Aussies have more important things on their mind, like the gospel.
:scratch: Would that not include sharing the gospel to the Chinese? I certainly am thankful to have the gospel translated into my native tongue. It would certainly not be a moral requirement, but I am puzzled by your “more important things” comment.

If China can create a just and effective government, the future is theirs. The people are remarkably hardworking and determined -- definitely more than the US at the moment. As I mentioned somewhere else, even their films are improving. I'd already take a non-political Chinese film over Hollywoke.

As of now, things are far more tenuous for them than most realize. Xi is a huge step backwards.

As for Chinese, I've been working on it for some years on and off. Would consider myself intermediate (HSK4). Can read some, and engage in basic conversation. It's definitely challenging, but fun and totally worth it. I suspect the challenge + the ease of technology-based translation will keep a damper on the raw number of people that learn it. English will continue as the global language of choice far into the foreseeable future

Concerning your first point, it seems China is past the point of just ripping off American technology. Not just Huawei phones and safe cities, but they're a competitor in artificial intelligence. Isn't one of the main network shows hosted by an AI robot?

Interesting about Xi. I don't know much about Chinese politics, but it seems like his predecessor had much to do with the forward propulsion, while Xi has just tightened the centralized grip.

As for those internet translators, they're awful. Far better to just learn Chinese. And yes, it's fun!

I live in Melbourne. I am not sure what that uni professors' credentials are but I am certain that it is not in our people's interest to learn Chinese. That's bonkers. If he/she means a select few then maybe.
But since many uni students here in Melbourne are from China (maybe not so much now because of the Wuhan virus) learning Chinese may be of interest to a few people studying at uni.
This is not even mentioning the fact that Chinese is one of the hardest possible languages to learn. Many Aussies have more important things on their mind, like the gospel.

From what I've seen, there is certainly a growing Chinese presence in Australia. Not to mention they live just north of you.

But I don't think it just concerns Australia. China has expansive ambitions. They're getting a ways into Africa, and they've got some pull in south America. Think Belton Road Project.

And on top of that, I don't know the true economic numbers, but I am questioning the US' ability to keep up its lead in the world.

So, perhaps Australia might have a particular motivation just for the near proximity, though my question is also worldwide.

Concerning your first point, it seems China is past the point of just ripping off American technology. Not just Huawei phones and safe cities, but they're a competitor in artificial intelligence. Isn't one of the main network shows hosted by an AI robot?

Interesting about Xi. I don't know much about Chinese politics, but it seems like his predecessor had much to do with the forward propulsion, while Xi has just tightened the centralized grip.

As for those internet translators, they're awful. Far better to just learn Chinese. And yes, it's fun!
No, Xi is different. He's returning the country to a personality cult, and demanding ideological conformity not seen since Mao. Earlier leaders were typically pragmatic, liked Deng, or weak, like Hu, and simply tacked to the status quo.

As for the translation, it won't be winning any poetry awards, it's true. But in terms of getting you around, tools like Pleco are remarkably effective.

:scratch: Would that not include sharing the gospel to the Chinese? I certainly am thankful to have the gospel translated into my native tongue. It would certainly not be a moral requirement, but I am puzzled by your “more important things” comment.
Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Preaching the gospel. I suppose learning Chinese would help in that, but it's not a priority for many here.
I'm thankful for organisation like TBS who are translating scripture into Mandarin. It is delightful to see Chinese brothers and sisters form congregations around Melbourne.

From what I've seen, there is certainly a growing Chinese presence in Australia. Not to mention they live just north of you.

But I don't think it just concerns Australia. China has expansive ambitions. They're getting a ways into Africa, and they've got some pull in south America. Think Belton Road Project.

And on top of that, I don't know the true economic numbers, but I am questioning the US' ability to keep up its lead in the world.

So, perhaps Australia might have a particular motivation just for the near proximity, though my question is also worldwide.
Yeah. As Andrew pointed out, many of the Chinese are very hard workers and their e: [they're] great at expanding businesses.

But it can be a tad daunting to see high rise buildings and mini Chinatown's developing in the local neighbourhood. There's a place in the Eastern Suburbs called Box Hill.
That place transformed from a basic town into the second Chinatown of Melbourne in a matter of two decades.

The topic reminds me of Greek/Roman influences of the ancient world: how many people like Paul had to learn the accepted language at the time to keep up with the world, as it were.

Last edited:
In recent years our premier, Daniel Andrews has faced public backlash over the belt and road initiative.

To be honest, it seems like many people here in Victoria have growing resentment against China and the state government.
This resentment also relates to tight Covid restrictions.

I do think China have big economic influence In Aus. This Chinese economic influcr began to take off, I believe, when ex Labor Prime Minister, Bob Hawke allowed many Chinese immigrants into the country following the Tiananmen square disaster. And they wisely expanded through foreign contacts thereafter.
This was before my time so I may be mistaken.

RE:
I do think China have big economic influence In Aus. This Chinese economic influcr began to take off, I believe, when ex Labor Prime Minister, Bob Hawke allowed many Chinese immigrants into the country following the Tiananmen square disaster. And they wisely expanded through foreign contacts thereafter.​
This was before my time so I may be mistaken.​

Chinese economic influence in Australia arose from it becoming the largest customer for Australia's vast natural resources, especially iron ore and other minerals, to the tune of around $70B US per annum. This has led to Australia becoming economically dependent on these exports, with China then able to increasing insert its influence in other areas, including education and politics. When political leaders try and push back and advance Australia's own interest in foreign and trade affairs, which in recent years under Abbot and Morrison have been contra China's expansionist interests, they have hit back hard with punishing trade tariffs. Despite the existing economic inter-dependence, it's fair to say Australian-Chinese relations are at their worst since the early 1960's.

Last edited:
The American century ran from May 1, 1898 to November 11, 2001. This is shaping up to be the Chinese century. But when a Chinese needs to communicate with a German, they are going to do it in English.

Thanks to their stupid one-child policy, only recently reversed, China will get old before it gets rich, as some writers have pointed out. China (and Russia) will now start flexing its political and military muscles around the globe (think of it devouring Hong Kong and Taiwan) now that the US has totally besmirched its international reputation thanks to Biden's Afghanistan fiasco.

Thanks to their stupid one-child policy, only recently reversed, China will get old before it gets rich, as some writers have pointed out. China (and Russia) will now start flexing its political and military muscles around the globe (think of it devouring Hong Kong and Taiwan) now that the US has totally besmirched its international reputation thanks to Biden's Afghanistan fiasco.
Right. Some have argued China's sudden aggression on the world stage is driven by a desperate race to gain Taiwan and global hegemony before they age into a position too weak to carry it off.

And it's not just late effects of the one-child policy: the government is discovering to their horror that urban Chinese millennials aren't really interested in kids; they're pricey and hamper your ability to live the good life.

Not fully convinced that's what's driving all the wolf-warrior diplomacy. But it's plausible.

Last edited:
Yeah. As Andrew pointed out, many of the Chinese are very hard workers and their e: [they're] great at expanding businesses.

But it can be a tad daunting to see high rise buildings and mini Chinatown's developing in the local neighbourhood. There's a place in the Eastern Suburbs called Box Hill.
That place transformed from a basic town into the second Chinatown of Melbourne in a matter of two decades.

The topic reminds me of Greek/Roman influences of the ancient world: how many people like Paul had to learn the accepted language at the time to keep up with the world, as it were.

That's more the reasoning. I can understand aversion to Chinese influence, considering their historical expansion policies; so long as that's not aversion to persons themselves (just to make it clear to the Google Bots that I'm not xenophobic).

But wow, interesting to think that you've got two large mainly-Chinese segments where you live! Tag onto that, the Confucius Institute found at the University of Sydney. I understand the University to walk on eggshells concerning China because so much revenue is from... well.. China; because many of its students are Chinese; and some of them zealously so.

That, combined with your last paragraph, is part of the logic of the idea. When countries expand like that, they tend to expand their ideas as well. When Britain expanded, there was an idea that the British way was the best way. When America dips its hands into the rest of the world, there's an idea that the American way is the best, and that democracy is the ideal.

China isn't any different, and will at least want the Chinese nation and culture to be perceived as superior. Historically they have been big believers in their own culture and ways.

The problem is that we in the West are so distant from them as far as connection goes--not just geography. I was really surprised by the footage in a PBS documentary to see what all China really has. It wasn't the struggling nation that I envisioned it must certainly be. Watch some footage from the non-news programs on CCTV, and you'll see that they're at least on the better half of the developing end. That's not even to talk of their sudden production of billionaires. If I'm like most other Americans, then Americans are deficient in their understanding of a major world player. That education at least involves understanding a people who have a much different way of thinking, because they have a different history, in a different part of the world, with different influences.

We Westerners have experienced a particular blessing and curse; undisturbed monolingualism. It is not that way in any other part of the world. If anyone else speaks Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, or any other major language, they speak at least one other language--English. Sooner or later, that will come to an end. Perhaps I'm curious as to when.

Once upon a time, Greek was the commercial language. Latin enjoyed similar prominence, and was the universal Western academic language up until quite recently. That is no more. At one time, the universal commerce language was French. Now it is English. Given enough time, English is likely to be superseded. Each of these have had major economic sponsors. Rome for Latin, Alexander for Greek, Britain and America for English. Only time can tell if Chinese would follow suit, if they stay on their current economic trajectory; but it's certainly not impossible. In any case, there will be a lot of business conducted in Chinese, and opportunities (though not exclusively) locked behind the language barrier.

No, Xi is different. He's returning the country to a personality cult, and demanding ideological conformity not seen since Mao. Earlier leaders were typically pragmatic, liked Deng, or weak, like Hu, and simply tacked to the status quo.

As for the translation, it won't be winning any poetry awards, it's true. But in terms of getting you around, tools like Pleco are remarkably effective.

When you have companies beginning their workdays with something akin to Xi devotionals, or television shows about how much Xi thought you can memorize, or Xi having personal reasons for censoring Winnie the Pooh... yeah, you may have a personality cult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back