Should we "Take back Christmas for Christ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I heard someone on the radio this morning discussing our responsibility, as good Christians, to take back Christmas for Christ. The popular fad nowadays is to say, "Seasons greetings," or "Happy Holidays" or something similiar that does not begin with Christ.

I know that, originally, "Christmas" was a pagan holiday and the Puritans did not practice it and it was only later that it became popular to celebrate it as a Christian holiday. Is it really our responsibility to worry about these sorts of things and make our fight to deliberately say, "Merry Christmas" everytime someone says "Happy Holidays?"

Is it really our responsibility to worry about these sorts of things and make our fight to deliberately say, "Merry Christmas" everytime someone says "Happy Holidays?"
I don't think we have any such responsibility.:worms:And so the semi-annual beating that poor dead horse begins I guess.:deadhorse:

My purpose is not to be argumentative, but it is difficult to take back something for Christ that he never instituted to begin with. I personally do not observe it but I will not ridicule nor argue with those who do. I do have a problem with it being a religious holy day though. I agree with the following quotes from Spurgeon:

I hold it to be one of the greatest absurdities under heaven to think that there is any
religion in keeping Christmas-day.

We have no superstitious regard for times and seasons. Certainly we do not believe
in the present ecclesiastical arrangement called Christmas: first, because we do
not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it, whether it be said or sung in Latin or in
English; and secondly, because we find no Scriptural warrant whatever for observing
any day as the birthday of the Saviour; and, consequently, its observance is a
superstition, because not of divine authority.

C.H. SPURGEON

It seems that this annual controversy is between the proponents of secular humanism and proponents of what is essentially civil religion. :2cents:

I heard someone on the radio this morning discussing our responsibility, as good Christians, to take back Christmas for Christ. The popular fad nowadays is to say, "Seasons greetings," or "Happy Holidays" or something similiar that does not begin with Christ.

I know that, originally, "Christmas" was a pagan holiday and the Puritans did not practice it and it was only later that it became popular to celebrate it as a Christian holiday. Is it really our responsibility to worry about these sorts of things and make our fight to deliberately say, "Merry Christmas" everytime someone says "Happy Holidays?"

No, we should be working on the re-establishment and/or preservation of Word and Sacrament in our churches and the holiness of life that results in the regular participation in them. Fighting for things like "putting Christ back into Christmas" is at best a strawman easily knocked down by the world and at worst a ridiculously small view of a King who needs nobody to put Him anywhere.

I heard someone on the radio this morning discussing our responsibility, as good Christians, to take back Christmas for Christ.
Did they give any practical suggestions as to how we, as 'good Christians', should take back Christmas for Christ? What did they have in mind?

Cool Facebook group.

Group Info Name: Put SOL INVICTUS back in Christmas
Type: Organizations - Religious Organizations
Description: this group is for anyone that is sick of seeing X-mas all over the place, and to remember truly why we celebrate on the 25th of December

For:
it's NOT about the presents
it's NOT about the break from school or work
it's NOT about the finals
it's NOT even about spending time with friends and family

it's about the undefeated Sun God sent to deliver us from the lives we deserve...

it's about the undefeated Sun God come to save us from our enemies...

it's about celebrating the new life that we have so undeservedly been given by the glorius brillance of Sol Invictus...

Sol Invictus bless America!

Cool Facebook group.

Description: this group is for anyone that is sick of seeing X-mas all over the place, and to remember truly why we celebrate on the 25th of December

For:

it's about the undefeated Sun God sent to deliver us from the lives we deserve...

it's about celebrating the new life that we have so undeservedly been given by the glorius brillance of Sol Invictus...

Did you get that from my profile?! :D

I heard someone on the radio this morning discussing our responsibility, as good Christians, to take back Christmas for Christ.
Did they give any practical suggestions as to how we, as 'good Christians', should take back Christmas for Christ? What did they have in mind?

My guess? be self righteous and howl if a poor underpaid retail clerk DARES to use "happy Holidays" (the greeting they were told to give all shoppers). And of course be really really obnoxious "for Jesus" (and be a horrible witness to boot). :rant: I do not mind decorating (it is cold and dreary in Michigan this time of year) but it is not an idol. Just a tree and twinkly lights. :lol:

We do beat this horse every year and I think we should just to let newbies know about saternalia and the origins of Satan Claws.

:2cents:

Cool Facebook group.

For:

They got that right... SUN worship... like most things pagan that the Catholic church blended wth Christianity. Its sickening... and sure is frusterating that people refuse to see the truth

For more on this garbage check this out Sol Invictus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it really our responsibility to worry about these sorts of things and make our fight to deliberately say, "Merry Christmas" everytime someone says "Happy Holidays?"
I don't think we have any such responsibility.:worms:And so the semi-annual beating that poor dead horse begins I guess.:deadhorse:

Sorry, I was not here last year and as I am constantly learning and coming to a new mindset am wondering about things that were once so much a part of how I saw the world.

Sorry, I was not here last year and as I am constantly learning and coming to a new mindset am wondering about things that were once so much a part of how I saw the world.

I know how you feel, being myself a member of a Reformed church for only a year now. What a great feeling, to be pulled out of the Matrix! ;)

It was just the frame of mind that society is increasingly becoming less "Christian" with the removal of the 10 commandments from public places, removal of Nativity scenes from public places and the prohibition of them on private property because it might offend someone and the issue of "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." This is a fight some feel is a godly fight.

Plus, I think Bill O'Reilly is taking up the cause, as he is an alleged Catholic, and stirring people up.

I don't understand why we demand that unbelievers observe (?) a day of our making and thereby make them idolaters of a greater kind than they already are. Would they do so with their hearts and with love to God? No. And doesn't God despise this kind of observance?

I think this discussion is different than most of the past discussions. You can favor the celebrating Christmas in the church and still be opposed to encouraging the unbelieving world to join in the festivities. Why would those who think its good to celebrate Christmas want to make hypocrites out of their unbelieving neighbors?

It would seem that we do well to push for taking Christ out of Christmas or perhaps removing Christ from the Mass. It would be better in my opinion to simply move the day to New Year's Day and turn it into another day of Thanksgiving. That's what we've done in my family. We exchange gifts, enjoy family, have a big dinner on New Year's Day. Plus, you can benefit from all the after x-mass sales.

A friend of mine once told me that he heard a Roman Catholic Priest say that he rejoices in the fact that at least once a year, the Church around the world recognizes her roots to the True Church (i.e. Rome) by celebrating the Christ-mass season with her. Ouch!:(

I love X-mas time. Food, family, some gifts. I play pretend games about Santa, Rudolph, etc. And Chloe knows they're pretend (unless her Mom tells her differently). I have no qualms so long as materialism doesn't reign, gluttony is avoided, Santa's not purported to be real, and that the whole thing is not incorporated into the Church. There is one Day each week in which the Church is commanded (delightfully so) to come together and commemorate, not only Christ's birth, but His life, death, ressurection and reign over His Kingdom. That is, the Lord's Day. Many people are more upset about having to work on x-mas, etc. than they are having to work the Lord's Day. I find that insulting. So, this x-mas enjoy your family, enjoy the food, enjoy giving and receiving, and remember, Jesus is the reason for EVERY season. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring...He holds all things together and in Him all things consist!

:amen:

We treat the holidays in about the same way. We do take the opportunity to emphasize the coming of Christ and the prophecies fulfilled from the OT. We also enjoy playing our favorite recording of Handel's Messiah over and over again, if the children will tolerate it.

It would seem that we do well to push for taking Christ out of Christmas or perhaps removing Christ from the Mass. It would be better in my opinion to simply move the day to New Year's Day and turn it into another day of Thanksgiving. That's what we've done in my family. We exchange gifts, enjoy family, have a big dinner on New Year's Day. Plus, you can benefit from all the after x-mass sales.

That is really interesting. I may have to try that someday.

I love X-mas time. Food, family, some gifts. I play pretend games about Santa, Rudolph, etc. And Chloe knows they're pretend (unless her Mom tells her differently). I have no qualms so long as materialism doesn't reign, gluttony is avoided, Santa's not purported to be real, and that the whole thing is not incorporated into the Church. There is one Day each week in which the Church is commanded (delightfully so) to come together and commemorate, not only Christ's birth, but His life, death, ressurection and reign over His Kingdom. That is, the Lord's Day. Many people are more upset about having to work on x-mas, etc. than they are having to work the Lord's Day. I find that insulting. So, this x-mas enjoy your family, enjoy the food, enjoy giving and receiving, and remember, Jesus is the reason for EVERY season. Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring...He holds all things together and in Him all things consist!

:amen:

We treat the holidays in about the same way. We do take the opportunity to emphasize the coming of Christ and the prophecies fulfilled from the OT. We also enjoy playing our favorite recording of Handel's Messiah over and over again, if the children will tolerate it.

I went to a performance of Handel's Messiah last night at the Duke Chapel and it was wonderful!

I always say Merry Christmas. The Cashier's say Happy Holidays and I'll say no Merry Christmas, some thank me and others look at me like I have two heads. :D I'm sure 'm in the minority but I celebrate Christmas, Easter and all the other holidays, even Halloween.
r4osuprised2.gif
But if no one else does that's cool too.

A good end of the year holiday, time to fellowship, rest and feast and nothing wrong with beholding the savior's birth with reverence regardless of his actual birthday or a mandate to do so, it is a humbling reminder of grace and to ponder upon the happenings of the genesis of Christ's earthly life is to give thanks to the miraculous and the sovereignty of God.

For those reasons I say Merry Christmas.

I also need some new shirts.:p

Have you seen the "Futurama" episode that explained how in the future Christmas is simply called X-Mas and no one knows the origin of the holiday and it is a night of fear because a robotic Santabot was programmed centuries ago to perform the gift giving duties of Santa Claus but went short circuit and now comes out to beat people up and terrorize them on X-Mas eve instead:lol: It was pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back