Should we try and keep Christ in Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Its common in our area to see signs in front of the catholic churches that say "Keep Christ in Christmas". Do you agree that we should "Keep Christ in Christmas"?

I use to agree with this and would at times, in the hustle and bustle of the all that goes on with the shopping, etc., try and remind people what Christmas is all about, that it was about Jesus and his birthday.

My thinking has changed over recent years and now think of Christmas more just as a family time, and not so much about Jesus and his birth. I don't try and associate Jesus with the holiday or try and remind people about the 'true meaning of Christmas'. I don't feel the need to try and "Keep Christ in Christmas".

What do you think? Should we try and "Keep Christ in Christmas"?

Festivus for the rest of us!

bw-festivus-1.jpg

Anyone who thinks the average American is thinking about Jesus during Christmas, or that his birth ever comes across their mind at all, needs to spend more time around pagans and watching T.V. commercials to get some perspective. It isn't a Christian holiday, no matter how much some wish it were. That time is far past, and I'm okay with it. It's just a nice time to be with family for me.

Originally posted by blhowes
My thinking has changed over recent years and now think of Christmas more just as a family time, and not so much about Jesus and his birth. I don't try and associate Jesus with the holiday or try and remind people about the 'true meaning of Christmas'. I don't feel the need to try and "Keep Christ in Christmas".

:ditto: I did not vote, because I am decided on the issue (and do not think it is too complicated), yet I do not have a problem with people who do make a special point of emphasizing Christ's birth at Christmas (unless it is incorporated into the Church's worship), and in fact I may or may not do so at some times - but I likewise do not think or feel there to be a need to do so in any way (any more than we should always remember and emphasize His birth), much less an obligation in the way that many of the signs you mentioned imply.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
How about keeping business's out fo Christmas, cause that's what it's all about making money.

blade

Regarding business and money, how is the Christmas season any different in principle than the rest of the year?

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
How about keeping business's out fo Christmas, cause that's what it's all about making money.
Did you get that job in retail? You might want to keep this idea low key around your boss. :lol:

We should try to keep Christ in every day life. That is the hard thing. Especially since we are so prone to the law of indwelling sin. God save us.

Romans 7:24,25
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Originally posted by joshua
Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Should we keep Christ in abortion? Drug abuse? Premarital sex?
:eek:

My point being, the overly abused "dominion mandate" of radical Postmillennialists needs to be addressed seriously by Reformed people. God is not "okay" with everything being "taken over" for Christ. There are many things God abhors, and we have no business trying to incorporate such things into Christianity.

My oldest two kids (4&5) have just heard that some people remember/celebrate the Nativity at "Krissmiss time".

:banana:

IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
Peanut Butter Jelly

Peanut Butter Jelly

Peanut Butter Jelly and a Baseball Bat.
:banana:

Are we off topic yet? How many posts does it take to get to the center of off topic.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by puritancovenanter]

*screeeeeeech--veers wildly back to topic*

We usually put up a tree (my wifey is very family/tradition oriented, and to her a tree is part of the memories)
We give gifts.
We do not "celebrate" Christ's birth.
We try to avoid celebrating the god Mammon as well.

My point being, the overly abused "dominion mandate" of radical Postmillennialists needs to be addressed seriously by Reformed people. God is not "okay" with everything being "taken over" for Christ. There are many things God abhors, and we have no business trying to incorporate such things into Christianity.

Gabe,

This is exactly right. :ditto: and :amen:

Me thinks I detect a strawman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back