Sibbes: 'My time is in Thy hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Tempus faciendi, Domine.
Perhaps especially pertinent now, Sibbes is good to remind us that our lives are in His hand.

'Behold, I will gather thee to thy fathers, and thou shalt be put in thy grave in peace.' The Lord saith, he 'will gather.' So we see,
Doct 7. Our times are in God's hand; as David saith, 'My time is in thy hand,' Ps. xxxi. 15. Our times of coming into the world, continuing in it, and going out of it, are in God's hand. Therefore he saith, 'Thou shalt be put in thy grave in peace.' God hath power of death. Our going and coming is from God; he is the Lord of life and death.
Use. This is a comfort unto us while we live in this world, that whilst we live we are not in our own hands, we shall not die in our own time; niether is it in our enemies hands, but in God's hands. He hath appointed a certain time of our being here in this world. This should tie us to obedience, and to die in hope and faith; because when we die we are but gathered to our fathers, to better company and place than we leave behind us.

[Richard Sibbes, "Josiah's Reformation: (4) The Saint's Refreshing", Works vi.81.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back