Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaBanana

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I have debated writing about this issue on my heart because I feel a tad guilty for saying it.

Throughout my years of knowing the Lord, I have heard multiple people say “The Lord spoke to me...”, “God showed me a sign...”, “The Lord lead me this way...”. I know that sometimes this can be skeptical but I do believe the Lodd speaks to us, most of all, through His word.

The thing is, is sometimes I feel so distant from the Lord, that I don’t feel like He has ever “spoken” to me. Yes, I read His word, and I earnestly seek Him. Through prayer, I poor my heart out to Him, and sometimes (I really do not like saying this) I feel nothing. I feel empty, like i was just speaking to myself and there is no connection.

My question is.. has the Lord spoken to you? Through prayer? Through the Word?

I’m sorry if this offends anyone, I am truly seeking the answer to this.

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Heb 1.

5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Heb 13:5–6.

God speaks to you directly through His word. He is speaking directly to you as you read through scripture. Be encouraged!

I have debated writing about this issue on my heart because I feel a tad guilty for saying it.

Throughout my years of knowing the Lord, I have heard multiple people say “The Lord spoke to me...”, “God showed me a sign...”, “The Lord lead me this way...”. I know that sometimes this can be skeptical but I do believe the Lodd speaks to us, most of all, through His word.

The thing is, is sometimes I feel so distant from the Lord, that I don’t feel like He has ever “spoken” to me. Yes, I read His word, and I earnestly seek Him. Through prayer, I poor my heart out to Him, and sometimes (I really do not like saying this) I feel nothing. I feel empty, like i was just speaking to myself and there is no connection.

My question is.. has the Lord spoken to you? Through prayer? Through the Word?

I’m sorry if this offends anyone, I am truly seeking the answer to this.
I used to believe like what you mentioned. I had believed to get ideas like that and sometimes I turned out to be wrong. However, as I grew older and wiser and deeper in the word, I do not believe God speaks like that all. Now, I find weird and even wrong. It is a quasi-charismatic/Pentecostal understanding. Their theology is no good. It is holier than thou garbage.
Discerning providences is one thing, as is illumination but, all must be checked with Scripture. Scripture is the only sure thing we have not our drifting hearts.

Anna,

Something I posted a few years ago may be helpful:
https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/how-does-one-discern-gods-will.69629/#post-892770

See also:
https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/respectable-arminian-theologians.92061/page-2#post-1125736

As someone once rightly quipped, "If you want to hear God's voice, read the Bible. If you want to hear God's voice audibily, read the Bible out loud."

God speaks to you directly through His word. He is speaking directly to you as you read through scripture. Be encouraged!

someone once rightly quipped, "If you want to hear God's voice, read the Bible. If you want to hear God's voice audibily, read the Bible out loud."
One of the most helpful chapters on this is Calvin's Institutes Book 1 ch 9. Calvin argues that the Spirit without the word opens the door to Satanic deception. On the other hand the Spirit begat the word so the word needs the Spirit. The Spirit Himself is the author of the word. It is one of the many spiritual gems in the Institutes!

A nice thing about this is that obedience looks just a hair less daunting. Obedience is hard enough when the law is perfectly clear and plain, and there isn’t doubt in understanding, only lack of will. Having to interpret signs and listen to a ‘still small voice’ on top of that can only lead to confusion about what God loves; it can only lead to despair.

I have learned from the mission field that whenever a missionary starts talking about, "The Lord is redirecting us back to the US" or "The Lord is telling us to return for a season" it usually means their marriage and family is a mess and they have to go home.

Sort of like, "Let's pin the blame on God for this one." Let's baptize our own wishes and make it sound above criticism because we invoke the name of God. How can anyone argue against the Holy Spirit, after all.

I really think that many of these examples could be guilty of taking the Lord's name in vain.

Anna, is this along the lines of what you are saying:

You might really be anxious over a situation in your life. You read over and over again in the Bible "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you." You sincerely pray for God to bless you with this peace telling Him you trust Him. Sadly you leave your time with the Lord unchanged, feeling as if nothing supernatural happened.

Last edited:
Anna,

The people I've heard say God spoke to me directly (not through His Word) made God a liar, since "He" told them things that never came true. One was, "God told me we'd own a house by the end of the year." It never happened. I could give other examples similar. Either God lied, or it wasn't God speaking.

Along with the good advice above, I would add that God also directs us through Providence. He opens and closes doors which become clear as He unfolds various events in time. "Does God want me to move here or take this job?" We should pursue these things through prayer, asking that God would direct our steps.

You mentioned that in reading His Word and prayer you often feel empty. Be sure you are not looking for the wrong thing. God is speaking to you. On a practical note, before reading my Bible daily, I ask that He would give me understanding and draw me closer to Him. We cannot come to God on our own. We need His strength and He will give it to those who ask.

I hope this helps.

I have learned from the mission field that whenever a missionary starts talking about, "The Lord is redirecting us back to the US" or "The Lord is telling us to return for a season" it usually means their marriage and family is a mess and they have to go home.

Sort of like, "Let's pin the blame on God for this one." Let's baptize our own wishes and make it sound above criticism because we invoke the name of God. How can anyone argue against the Holy Spirit, after all.

I really think that many of these examples could be guilty of taking the Lord's name in vain.

Right. That's why a lot of the time I find it skeptical because of how misused that saying could be. I am in no way saying that the Lord does not speak like that to others, I just find it hard to decipher.

Anna, is this along the lines of what you are saying:

You might really be anxious over a situation in your life. You read over and over again in the Bible "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you." You sincerely pray for God to bless you with this peace telling Him you trust Him. Sadly you leave your time with the Lord unchanged, feeling as if nothing supernatural happened.

Pretty much sums it up.

I hope that no one finds this post as being selfish. I know that I am an unworthy sinner and the Lord has poured out His blessings, love and grace upon me.

But, for example, I struggle with anxiety. I pray for the Lord to allow me to feel His peace that He has given to me. I pray that the Lord would use me in this season of life of anxiety as a testimony of others who struggle that He has given me peace. Yet, I feel none. I'm sorry for saying that, I really am, but I am truly speaking from my heart.

Anna,

The people I've heard say God spoke to me directly (not through His Word) made God a liar, since "He" told them things that never came true. One was, "God told me we'd own a house by the end of the year." It never happened. I could give other examples similar. Either God lied, or it wasn't God speaking.

Along with the good advice above, I would add that God also directs us through Providence. He opens and closes doors which become clear as He unfolds various events in time. "Does God want me to move here or take this job?" We should pursue these things through prayer, asking that God would direct our steps.

You mentioned that in reading His Word and prayer you often feel empty. Be sure you are not looking for the wrong thing. God is speaking to you. On a practical note, before reading my Bible daily, I ask that He would give me understanding and draw me closer to Him. We cannot come to God on our own. We need His strength and He will give it to those who ask.

I hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. Thank you very much.

Hi Anna, It is the word is the means of direction, and providence backs it up or authenticates it. You mention the problem of anxiety which plagues you, and the Apostle deals with it in Phill 4:6. “Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with Thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” I find that the missing element when we pray and supplicate is, thanksgiving. When we leaven our requests with thanksgiving then there is a quelling of anxiety. Indeed the word “careful” means don’t be over anxious about anything. All Christians get anxious over circumstances, but Paul is saying don’t get immoderately concerned, over anxious. Mixing thanksgiving in with you petitions takes the stress away. And notice that he shows the result in the very next verse, “and the Peace of God which passeth all understanding, Shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ.” It’s the peace Christ has promised to give.

My husband and I have been talking about this very reality. I dont know quite how to describe it - an incompleteness? A sense of absence and quiet? Someone else could say it better! As adopted children, we are in that already/not-yet era. Between two kingdoms, and in tension, where all we have for now are His Word and sacraments, and the comfort and testimony of His Spirit.

Adam had a closeness to the Lord (He walked in the garden with them!) that we don't have... Yet.

I would also love to learn more about this!

Thought of you a few times today, AnnaBanana, and prayed. Glad you let us know of your struggle. Solus Christus

Pretty much sums it up.

I hope that no one finds this post as being selfish. I know that I am an unworthy sinner and the Lord has poured out His blessings, love and grace upon me.

But, for example, I struggle with anxiety. I pray for the Lord to allow me to feel His peace that He has given to me. I pray that the Lord would use me in this season of life of anxiety as a testimony of others who struggle that He has given me peace. Yet, I feel none. I'm sorry for saying that, I really am, but I am truly speaking from my heart.

Anna, please don't take this as me being judgy it's not because I know what it feels like to be crippled with anxiety. I dealt with it for years and years. God in his mercy delivered me from that crippling sin, but I still suffer from time to time. If you want to PM me, I would be happy to talk with you. Just a few pointers for now:

My anxiety rises when:
1) I'm unthankful for what God has given me
2) when I want to do my own thing (watch tv read a book etc instead of reading the Bible and praying)
3) when I've committed a sin that I need to ask forgiveness of from a person and from God
4) when I don't read the Bible and pray that day
5) when I don't ask God to remember his promises (gifts of the Holy Spirit) to his children and tell him I can't live without him and those promises.
6) when I forget that all things happen according to his plan and the scary things happen to mold me into a more mature Christian, and the joyful things happen to mold me into a more mature Christian.
7) And last but always the first.....when my eyes are on me instead of Christ and his work. Think less about yourself and more and more about Christ......that helps a lot.

Pretty much sums it up.

You are not alone.

Ps. 88:13 But I, O Lord, cry to you;
in the morning my prayer comes before you.
14 O Lord, why do you cast my soul away?
Why do you hide your face from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back