Silliest "Christian" Book you will admit to reading.

Silliest "Christian" Book You Have Read.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Lake

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was thinking about this as I looked at a book a well-meaning family member gave me, (you know the ones, they know you are a Christian and they go into Lifeway and grab whatever is #1) anyway, I will take the "fire" first since it is my thread, a number of years ago I came across a battered edition of "New Age Bible Versions." It was after James White published his book refuting it: People, I like the King James, and it could well be that the TR or MT are better choices for the Greek, BUT ALL THAT ASIDE, it was the worst written book I recall reading, I don't know if any of you have been exposed to our friend Gail Ripplinger's writing style, but it is this hodge-podge of horrid rhymes and puns and well it was bad! So, I guess since I "fessed" up, I will let you give your Christian Book Nightmare!:eek::eek::eek::eek::book2:

Too many!

-Every Left Behind book

-3 Benny Hinn Books

-about 6 Hal Lindsey Books

-3-4 Tex Mars books

I spent 20 years as an Arminian Dispensationalist so I've read quite a few silly books!

Too many!

-Every Left Behind book

-3 Benny Hinn Books

-about 6 Hal Lindsey Books

-3-4 Tex Mars books

I spent 20 years as an Arminian Dispensationalist so I've read quite a few silly books!
OK, in sheer badness I shall help with a narrowing down:Hinn vs Marrs! Who is most out there?:detective:

I'm looking at one called Crisis in Christian Music by Dr. Jack Wheaton. Okay, I hate CCM, but this guy is explaining just exactly which beats will make you a sex-crazed pagan...

Then there's Epicenter, the lates thriller by Joel Rosenberg, explaining that Gog and Magog (which positively is Russia) is going to start Armageddon before the Rapture and the Tribulation. I'll give Rosenberg this, however, he realizes that peace, however temporary, is a good thing, and he has a charity which helps needy Arabs and Palestinians as well as Israelis.

Every once in a while, Mom just can't bear to see me wandering in error and she simply must give me a book...

I voted New Age Bible Versions because I once tried to read the ESV. haha just kidding i actually own the ESV and use it nearly exclusively but thought Id sound like a good little KJV-o boy for a minute. When I took a new testament studies class at a secular college I was forced to use the NRSV for the class, and not only that but a Harper Collins Study Bible NRSV. The study notes were riddled with blasphemy on every page. The notes were trying more to point out contradictions in the word then they were to giving an exegesis or even an explanation of the text. I dropped the class after 1 week whenever the professor asked us to write a paper about which books of the bible we didnt think belonged in it. I emailed her that I found this project to be impossible because I thought God did a mighty fine job of putting his word in every book of the bible to which she replied basically look at the bible as a literary book and choose from there. I couldnt find it in me to view God's word in such a degrading way so I dropped the class. Kept the Harper Collins SB though, and at times it helps me to understand the way the unregenerate mind view God's Holy Word.

I'm still reading through it, but it is called "The Greatest Secret." It is the "Christian" spin on "The Secret." You know, the New Age junk that Oprah was (is) vigorously advertising. It is a health, wealth, and prosperity "universal energy" guide that seriously twists Scripture (of course). The author, Ron McIntosh, was chaplain at Oral Roberts' college. :p

Scofield Reference Bible (KJV of course), signed by John Hagee. Probably worth alot in certain Christian circles! :D

I have another one signed by Chuck Missler. I don't have any of his books. So he doesn't make the list.

As a new Christian, I read Dave Hunt's The Seduction of Christianity (not so bad, except for some shoddy exegesis), Texx Marrs Dark Secrets of the New Age (he did even realize there is one than one flavor of Presbyterian, believe it or not), and quite a few Jack Chick comic books!

I read one of the "Left Behind" books...I really don't remember which one! I also read "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. I only read it to be able to refute it knowledgeably. Still...it was really bad.

I read two of Aimee Semple McPherson's biographies. That was when I was in her charismatic denom.
doh.gif

I'm guilty of a plethora:

A bunch of Left Behinds,
The John Hagee Prophecy Study Bible, NKJV,
A bunch of Jack Chick books (e.g. Did the Catholic Church Give Us The Bible, Going Bananas),
Don't Know Much About The Bible,

And I'm looking forward to the upcoming Wolverton Bible!

61jgCvT67EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

As a new Christian, I read Dave Hunt's The Seduction of Christianity (not so bad, except for some shoddy exegesis), Texx Marrs Dark Secrets of the New Age (he did even realize there is one than one flavor of Presbyterian, believe it or not), and quite a few Jack Chick comic books!

When I was about 17 I read The Seduction of Christianity and Beyond Seduction; not too bad, not too good, they attack a target that is worthy of attack, but don't offer much of a positive alternative. Still, it was good to read a book that condemned making images of Christ in our minds.

At about age 15 my mother forced me to read some rubbish by Norman Vincent Peale: The Power of Positive Thinking it was called. I thank God that I was able to see through that unchristian rubbish, even though I wasn't yet converted at that time.

The 4th Dimension (remember the music of Twilight Zone ? That’s it !)

by David (Paul) Yongi Cho

Cho claims to have received his call to preach from «Christ», who appeared

to him dressed like a fireman.

Maybe he got that calling in a forest fire : (

And He changed his name from Paul to David, allegedly «god» showed him that Paul Cho

had to die and David Cho was to be resurrected in his place.

I wonder why nobody notices any difference…

At that time I thought it was quite a powerful book…I Know…

And He changed his name from Paul to David, allegedly «god» showed him that Paul Cho

He is really that far out there? I know that the cell group camp adores Cho. I had no clue he was a fruit.

He is really that far out there? I know that the cell group camp adores Cho. I had no clue he was a fruit.

He is way out there.

I've read a lot of the books mentioned but the silliest would have to be "Late Great" and Lindsey's other big seller "The Devil Is Alive and....". I was about 17 or 18 and I was so impressed with with "The Devil...." book that I bought 10 copies and gave them away. I wanted everyone to know the 'truth'. Ugh! It was probably right after I watched "A Thief In The Night". Double ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back