Silliest "Christian" Book you will admit to reading.

Silliest "Christian" Book You Have Read.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read part of the Shack because it was recommended to me by a colleague....scary to get a book recommendation like that.

By the way, I should mention, this does not HAVE to be a book that is heretical. Bad can mean the Theology is OK, but it is VERY poorly written! (I like my threads to be pretty open.:):):))

Oh, I also read this horrible book called Satan's Underground which stretched credulity but was supposd to be this great testimony. And I also read this other supposed, only God knows, testimony of a gal. It was called Come Into My Parlor about a girl growing up in Wales in a family of spiritualists who had seances in their parlor and their family line was supposedly "touched" with this ability. These books were much circulated in the charismatic crowd we were in.

Last edited:
Before Jerusalem Fell by John Hagee

Before Jerusalem Fell is by Kenneth Gentry (and not silly at all).

Maybe you're thinking of Jerusalem Countdown, or Battle for Jerusalem, or the Jerusalem Code, or the 7 Jerusalemic Secrets of Prosperity, or John Hagee Saves Jerusalem, or... :D

The silliest book I ever read wasn't a Christian work, it was titled, "The History of Farting." :doh: I still have it.

Another one that I have read is "No Other Standard" by Greg Bahnsen --> That was just silly. What was he thinking!!!

:smug:

Nine O'clock in the morning
Devotions from "Two Listeners"

There was one book by a woman whose name I can't remember who saw 666 in everything. From eggs to visa cards, the apollo space capsule to whatever you care to name-she saw the beast in it. I can't remember the title either but the cover had a man with a bar code on his forehead.

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 04:24:17 EST-----

Not really considered a book but I'd have to say Jack Chick tracts.

I'd forgotten about Jack Chick but I would also include them. Specially his Alberto ones.

Dave Hunt - "A Cup of Trembling: Jerusalem and Bible Prophecy"
I had that when it came out! That IS a stinker!:barfy:

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 12:39:11 EST-----

Am I able to plead the Christian version of the 5th?
No Bill,:lol: motion denied, you are both a Member and Mod. on this Board. I am afraid, you must open that closet!;);):judge::judge:

How about I just abuse my moderator authority and refuse to answer!

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 04:44:39 EST-----

Okay, okay. I've read all the Left Behind books and one Frank Peretti book. Does that make you happy?!

I have read parts of New Age Bible Versions but didn't read all of it. But that's probably the silliest Christian book I've read any significant portions from. I think I may have read the first chapter of Jabez and maybe a couple of chapters of PDL. I've never read any Lindsey or Left Behind novels. I was converted out of blasphemous views while reading a Dave Hunt book, but I don't think that one in particular, Occult Invasion (something of a bigger, expanded Seduction for the 90's), is that silly. (At least that's my recollection.) A few years later I found his attacks against Calvinism in his newsletter that predated What Love Is This to be silly and incomprehensible and stopped paying attention after that.

Last edited:
When I was an infant Christian I read and went nutty over the "Prayer of Jabez".

Then I wised up...

I have also read "The Left Behind Series" back when I wasn't mature in my faith...

Dave Hunt - "A Cup of Trembling: Jerusalem and Bible Prophecy"
I had that when it came out! That IS a stinker!:barfy:

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 12:39:11 EST-----

Am I able to plead the Christian version of the 5th?
No Bill,:lol: motion denied, you are both a Member and Mod. on this Board. I am afraid, you must open that closet!;);):judge::judge:

How about I just abuse my moderator authority and refuse to answer!

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 04:44:39 EST-----

Okay, okay. I've read all the Left Behind books and one Frank Peretti book. Does that make you happy?!
:):):)Thank you Bill, that was pretty painless I hope!;););););)

-----Added 12/13/2008 at 08:08:22 EST-----

The Bondage Breaker (alt title "A Demon Made Me Do It!'')

Oh, what a horrid book! A old student of mine had that one!:lol: Written by Dr. Rebeccah Brown, who lost her Medical practice and had some major legal problems. She was ...."prescribing" Morphine to herself and a friend. The book recounts an "actual" Werewolf attack on Dr. Brown as I recall.....I will give her benefit of the doubt! THAT was "Sweet Sister Morphine" talking!:wow::wow::wow: Yikes!

How about anything by Henri Nouwen...

I agree! For a man who taught at (what was is) 2? "Ivys" AND Notre Dame, everything I have read is fluff!:barfy: Good "mention"! I had not even tought about his works , but they fit the bill for BAD.:2cents:

I have read many books to determine their suitibility for our church library. Among a very long list of some that deserve no shelf space, some recent rejects are:

Sipping Saints by David Wilkerson

Looking for a Miracle by Wanda Brunstetter

Living the Lord's Prayer by David Timms

Riven by Jerry B. Jenkins

and all of Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven" stuff [I think his purpose was to make money, but other than that I saw no real purpose to the books].

As a new Christian, I read Dave Hunt's The Seduction of Christianity (not so bad, except for some shoddy exegesis), Texx Marrs Dark Secrets of the New Age (he did even realize there is one than one flavor of Presbyterian, believe it or not), and quite a few Jack Chick comic books!

Some of the Chick tracts are not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back