simple FV definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjraby

Puritan Board Freshman
I am sure this has been discussed before, but can someone please give me a simple definition on what Federal Vision Theology says. I know its distinctive have something to do with Baptism, but i can't figure it out.

Well, you see, there's a sense in which....

:worms: :lol:

Haha...

However I am also new to Reformed Theology... and I too would like a good definition of FV... So despite the worms... Please help me expand my mind. ;)

It is a confusing, competitive faction that, while always asserting that no one outside of it understands their position,

manages at best to confuse the gospel (justification by faith alone), at worst, to deny it.

Along, the way, they confuse commonly used reformed theology terms such as:

1) justification (saying there is objective vs. subjective justification, and even a "full and final verdict" of it)
2) visible church (saying everyone in it really has all saving benefits.. but not really)
3) union with Christ (saying we are saved by this on one hand... but saying on the other these are only outward or non-saving benefits)
4) imputation of Christ's righteousness (the most common position seems to be they "are not certain," whether Christ's righteousness is imputed to the elect.)
5) trying to describe what they hold about baptism... is an abject impossibility.:)

I'm afraid that though there are well-meaning people who get caught up in it, after several years of this, its fruit seems most to be dissension, (—Synonyms discord, disagreement, schism, split, friction),

and an undermining of our assurance in Christ.

An excellent resource on understanding this is the PCA Study Report. You might find especially helpful the nine points toward the end which describes ways it is out of accord with confessed theology.

http://www.pcahistory.org/pca/07-fvreport.pdf

Last edited:
Jeremy, I'm going to step out and predict that you will not get too many *really* useful answers to that request here, and that for one simple reason: a theological system or movement simply defies a short "definition." For instance, if I were to ask for a simple definition of Lutheran or Reformed or Papal theology, I'm sure the trickiness and even impossibility of such a request will quickly be made evident.

For a very short overall description, you might start with this short piece written by Dr. Scott Clark. You might also want to check out Guy Waters brief intro to the topic, The Federal Vision and Covenant Theology: A Comparative Analysis, which does provide some good information regarding what different "FV" teachers teach. Also, I would recommend checking out the literature that different Reformed denominations have put out on the topic, and also seminaries (e.g., MARS). These will all provide some good, basic information.

Jeremy, I'm going to step out and predict that you will not get too many *really* useful answers to that request here, and that for one simple reason: a theological system or movement simply defies a short "definition." For instance, if I were to ask for a simple definition of Lutheran or Reformed or Papal theology, I'm sure the trickiness and even impossibility of such a request will quickly be made evident.

For a very short overall description, you might start with this short piece written by Dr. Scott Clark. You might also want to check out Guy Waters brief intro to the topic, The Federal Vision and Covenant Theology: A Comparative Analysis, which does provide some good information regarding what different "FV" teachers teach. Also, I would recommend checking out the literature that different Reformed denominations have put out on the topic, and also seminaries (e.g., MARS). These will all provide some good, basic information.

thanks man, that link really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back