Simple Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theognome

Burrito Bill
The things that the Lord provides for our comfort are so immense as to often not be noticed for what they are. Here's some of the one's I've come to appreciate...

A warm fire on a cold night.
A good book to read while sitting by said fire.
A ladybug landing on my hand.
A hearty sneeze.
A back rub performed by a loved one.
Children at play.
A fiery sermon.
A small glass of very old brandy.
Making a meal that others enjoy.
Someone else mowing my yard.
Lying in the grass on a warm spring day.
Encouraging a saint in distress.
Repairing something that would have been thrown away otherwise.
Gazing at a large rainbow.
A purring cat on my lap.
The smell of fresh baked bread.
A well made firearm.
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Good fellowship with several saints.
A conversation with a very young child.
A bird nesting on my window sill.
An evening stroll through the neighborhood.
An unexpected phone call (or visit) from an old friend.
A glass of cold water on a hot day.
Looking at old family photos in a dust-covered album.

Theognome

Amen to all of those except for the fixing the something or another and the cat thing. ;) How about a fix-it-man who's free like my brother-in-law and a dog? :lol:

Amen to all of those except for the fixing the something or another and the cat thing. ;) How about a fix-it-man who's free like my brother-in-law and a dog? :lol:

Toni has a free fix-it dude... me! However, I'm not a dog sort of guy.

Theognome

Cats are animals whose life should be spent in the barn and grain storage earning their keep. Otherwise they are fair game. ;)

Cats are animals whose life should be spent in the barn and grain storage earning their keep. Otherwise they are fair game. ;)

Cats are affectionate creatures whose greater talent for entertainment is only realized indoors with a laser pointer and an occasional dose of catnip. :D

A cat story involving my Dad, a hard man who despised cats (so he said).

We had an old barn cat who did earn her keep. She caught gophers and mice, ran off stray dogs, and, as far as I knew, defended the sheep from coyotes too. She was vicious, angry, completely uncivilized. If you tried to feed her cat food she'd leave the building for a month, thinking you were trying to poison her. The person who attempted to pick her up learned the meaning of wild. She routinely had litters of little ones who grew up to be barn cats themselves, and she'd drive them off after they had learned to hunt.

So one day, Dad the cat hater was loading some hay onto the pickup. It was a bright sunny late morning when he found the vicious hateful momma cat sprawled out on a bale, mangled and bloody. The stack was near a highway and somebody had decided to stop and shoot her with a shotgun.

So Dad the cat-hater did something strange. He wrapped up that cat, drove 15 miles to the vet, and spent more money on getting her patched up than we would have spent on vaccinating the entire herd of cattle.

Momma cat recovered, and she still hated everyone. Except Dad. She'd crawl into his lap when he'd sit down. When he'd walk out to the barn she'd run to see him like a happy puppy. She lived to a ripe old age for another 10 years (long time for a barn cat), still earning her keep and driving off the stray dogs. And she gladly enjoyed the beef scraps Dad the cat hater would bring out.

I disliked cats until my wife made me get a pair of kittens three months ago, now I would not be without them.

Admittedly the girl has a habit of waking me up by biting my nose on the inside of my nostrils which is excruciatingly painful but I still love her dearly.

At this moment I am laying on my bed with them, marveling at God's power and goodness in creating such beautiful creatures for no other reason that it pleased him.

Last edited:
Amen to most of the list. I would, however, prefer a grandchild in my lap.

Things to add......

watching a good episode of Star Trek Voyager...

the smell of my KJV genuine leather bible...

pancakes for breakfast...

gotta go because I'm cooking them!

We had an old barn cat who did earn her keep. She caught gophers and mice, ran off stray dogs, and, as far as I knew, defended the sheep from coyotes too. She was vicious, angry, completely uncivilized. If you tried to feed her cat food she'd leave the building for a month, thinking you were trying to poison her. The person who attempted to pick her up learned the meaning of wild. She routinely had litters of little ones who grew up to be barn cats themselves, and she'd drive them off after they had learned to hunt.

So one day, Dad the cat hater was loading some hay onto the pickup. It was a bright sunny late morning when he found the vicious hateful momma cat sprawled out on a bale, mangled and bloody. The stack was near a highway and somebody had decided to stop and shoot her with a shotgun.

So Dad the cat-hater did something strange. He wrapped up that cat, drove 15 miles to the vet, and spent more money on getting her patched up than we would have spent on vaccinating the entire herd of cattle.

Momma cat recovered, and she still hated everyone. Except Dad. She'd crawl into his lap when he'd sit down. When he'd walk out to the barn she'd run to see him like a happy puppy. She lived to a ripe old age for another 10 years (long time for a barn cat), still earning her keep and driving off the stray dogs. And she gladly enjoyed the beef scraps Dad the cat hater would bring out.

That Lady Cat found Grace!

That's a GOOD story, Vic, thanks. My Dad claimed to hate cats, too, but many a time I'd come home and find him there alone asleep in his easy chair... with the cat snoozing in his lap.

I'm not a pet person, but I did have a barn cat that for a long time would only come near me. When we moved into town I intended on leaving him where he was at home, but a friend convinced me I had to take him. He was not happy about it, but we got him here, and after a while he settled in. Would not come inside the house - it would freak him out, but would stay out on the enclosed breezeway with a cat door when it was cold. He eventually became friendly with everyone in the house, even the dogs, and the funniest sight to see was my Dad walking his beagle on a leash with that black cat walking beside them through the neighborhood. That dog and cat were like best buds.

Biking with my Wife by the Sunset in Groningen countryside, beneath a glorious sky with brush paintings of pink and blue, and we staring and laughing like kids…sigh…

Great list, and good reminder. Now I need to figure out what the simple pleasure in shoveling snow is...

A dog says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, you must be God.'
A cat says, 'You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me, I must be God.'

Growing up we had only one cat that could have been considered a pet. My brother snuck a kitten out of a litter from the barn cat. She was jet black. All of her kittens were jet black, except for this one. It looked just like a Siameese. It was so young that it still needed to be nursed. He stuck in a litter of coon hounds that had just been born. The cat grew up thinking he was a dog. The cat's name was Salley. HE would come when called. Sit. Down. Fetch. Rollover. Swam like a dog. He even attempted to howl like a hound. He got his name because my brother who was very young attempted to name him Alley (alley cat). It came out Salley Cat and it stuck. He was huge. Not overweight, just huge. I saw him take on a bob cat that was trying to get into the hen house. He won; as in, killed the bob cat.

He stayed outside. Slept with the dogs unless it was raining. Then he would jump up and sleep under the eave of the storage shed.

He was the only cat that I've ever really enjoyed. Maybe it was because he acted more like a dog.

Things to add......

watching a good episode of Star Trek Voyager...

the smell of my KJV genuine leather bible...

pancakes for breakfast...

gotta go because I'm cooking them!

You can say "Voyager" and "KJV" in the same breath? :D

Voyager was one of the best series. The only problem is the inherently secular basis behind the whole franchise.

Someone should write a Christian sci-fi series...

the smell of a rose
people laughing
fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate
a warm bed on a cold night
rain that brings green grass and flowers
a good cup of coffee
fresh pineapple (I don't buy this very often so I enjoy it when I do)
birds singing outside the window
hearing the neighborhood kids screaming in laughter out front as they ride bikes through the water puddles (even knowing their mothers are going to get upset at them for getting wet--but knowing they are having fun)
running through the rain
the sand under my feet at the beach

Some of my simple pleasures:

An evening with my family
A beautiful sunrise / sunset
Sitting on the beach
Sitting on the beach with my family
Barbecue
A good cup of coffee
An evening by the fire
A good book
A cardinal on the bush
Watching my bees go to and fro from the hive
Watching bees work flowers
Fishing
Sitting in the woods and listening to them awaken in the morning
Walking with my dog
A good pipe of Escudo or any other good Virginia/Perique blend
Fly fishing
Fly fishing
Fly fishing
VFR flight on a cloudy day
Roses
Gardening
Earthworms
Earthworms on a hook suspended beneath a cork in the pond
Fresh eggs
Seeing my family when I come home from work

Waking up to the smell of bacon frying.
Mr. B's barbecue.
A good glass of wine.
My children giggling.
My children playing their instruments.
My wife's smile.
Goodnight/morning hugs 'n kisses from my children.
The feeling of accomplishment on completion of a project.
Watching snow fall.
The smell of my wife's hair.
Surf fishing in a stiff wind.
A spectacular view of mountains.
A shrimp and crab feast with the family.
Ordering Chinese food.
Driving up to the house after a trip alone and seeing the lights on and hearing laughter from inside.
A surprise visit from an old friend.
Finding a fitting scripture for a particular situation.

:

Fly fishing
Fly fishing
Fly fishing

Same here. Some of the most persistent pleasant memories I dredge up in times of turmoil and strife are:

Standing up to my chest in the North Fork of the Flathead River, casting a long cast into a quiet pool (and later noticing a black bear sitting on shore behind me, watching);

Flying at 800 feet over some farmland, zero degree day and clouds just above and to the side, no turbulence, no wind, just clouds and sun and snow-covered farmland.

Oh! That is such a good story! I cried!!! I don't hate cats I really don't hate any animal, I dislike some (snakes rats mice etc), but I just don't want a cat sitting on my lap unless they had a story like this one!

-----Added 2/3/2009 at 06:08:18 EST-----

I disliked cats until my wife made me get a pair of kittens three months ago, now I would not be without them.

Admittedly the girl has a habit of waking me up by biting my nose on the inside of my nostrils which is excruciatingly painful but I still love her dearly.

At this moment I am laying on my bed with them, marveling at God's power and goodness in creating such beautiful creatures for no other reason that it pleased him.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-----Added 2/3/2009 at 06:14:42 EST-----

Some of my simple pleasures:

An evening with my family
A beautiful sunrise / sunset
Sitting on the beach
Sitting on the beach with my family
Barbecue
A good cup of coffee
An evening by the fire
A good book
A cardinal on the bush
Watching my bees go to and fro from the hive
Watching bees work flowers
Fishing
Sitting in the woods and listening to them awaken in the morning
Walking with my dog
A good pipe of Escudo or any other good Virginia/Perique blend
Fly fishing
Fly fishing
Fly fishing
Roses
Gardening
Earthworms
Earthworms on a hook suspended beneath a cork in the pond
Fresh eggs
Seeing my family when I come home from work

Fly fishing!!!! I love fly fishing! My dream is to go to Alaska and go fly fishing!!! I want to go!!!!

Ahh, what wonders! From this far away vantage point I would add:
Gratitude for each day and year granted by our Lord!
A well stocked memory bank.
Enjoying minutes in my recliner reflecting on contents of memory bank, the raising of six kids, five now grown and happily living well balanced independent lives with their own families!
Awareness of how much was learned and grown from many losses but with gratitude for having known and loved them!
Pondering the sovereignty of God and its limitless effects in our world!
Pondering the wonder of knowing a holy God and His word, feeling so very blest for the life he gave me!
Being able to share with young christians the wonders of living for Him and learning what total dependence truly means!
Enjoying time spent on PB and the funny, learned, witty, folks that post their thoughts!
Treasuring the benefits of being His forever!
Knowing that without Him as my Savior life would be worthless!

I shall sing unto the Lord, for He has dealt bountifully with me! Ps 13:6

the smell of a rose
people laughing
fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate
a warm bed on a cold night
rain that brings green grass and flowers
a good cup of coffee
fresh pineapple (I don't buy this very often so I enjoy it when I do)
birds singing outside the window
hearing the neighborhood kids screaming in laughter out front as they ride bikes through the water puddles (even knowing their mothers are going to get upset at them for getting wet--but knowing they are having fun)
running through the rain
the sand under my feet at the beach

You have many that are like mine. Aside from the things of God which are sweeter than anything:

-Gardening-especially roses, but I am tickled anytime one of my house plants blooms.
face_excited.gif

-Cat purring in my lap.
-Thunder storms
-Hiking in AK or WA.
-Snow, especially walking in it when it is lightly falling and everything is already covered in it.
-A big pot of stew and bisquits on aforementioned snowy day.
-Popcorn, a Big Gulp of coke, and a good movie.
-Popcorn, a Big Gulp of coke , and a fun puzzle video game like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle.
-Fishing
-Sailing, it is so exciting to be in a sailboat caught by the wind, keeling, and the wind blowing in your face.
-Sitting in front of a real wood fire.
-A really good book that you can't put down and time so that you don't have to. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back