Simple View

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Forge

Puritan Board Freshman
Before I begin, I would like to state that I was regenerated on 11/2/2022 so a tad over a year. With that being said, what I have noticed with all the discussion, albeit, sometimes intense discussions of eschatological views, Israel, Jews, etc.. it really boils all down to whether or not one was elected for salvation before the foundation of the world. Yes, it is a simplistic view but if one thinks about it, it does bare merit. Love to hear your views.

As Spurgeon said, paraphrasing, "Calvinism is the Gospel." God saves those who loves and will not fail and His Word will not come back void.

Hi Talib,

Yes, that is the bottom line, and the basis for having a catholicity of spirit – i.e., accepting and loving all regenerated / elect brothers and sisters, regardless of denomination and belief – and when the great persecution of the very end takes place we will help all such.

However, in the meanwhile, are we not called to seek out and cleave to sound doctrine and practice, that we not fall prey to small (or large) errors and run afoul of Biblical truth and precision?

So yes, you are right on that important foundation truth: loving all our brethren.

When you say, "discussions of eschatological views, Israel, Jews, etc" (big etcetera! of things included), can we deem them unimportant? Can I worship in a charismatic church? – yes if there is nothing else. An Arminian church? – ditto. There are some churches – with genuine believers in them – I can fellowship with, but cannot join in evangelizing with them as they preach contrary to Biblical truths.

If I'm in a strange land the first thing I do is look for an evangelical church with services in English. In Cyprus, where I am now, there were no Reformed churches in my city (and only one other in the nation), so eventually I planted such a church (with the help of a Reformed pastor in the other city). My wife and I were used to a grace-oriented gospel (in America), not a performance-oriented teaching, where we were supposedly accepted by God on the basis of our performing according to certain man-made standards, i.e., our works. We knew we were accepted on the basis of Christ's works, His righteousness imputed to us by faith – which faith is His gift to His elect.

To try to settle in a church where there are serious differences in doctrine can be very difficult. In these other churches we tried, we came to love many of the members in them, but eventually had to leave and plant a sound church.

Reformed standards are so important, because the genuine Gospel is so important – it is the difference between thinking wrongly about our standing with God, and the basis for it, and thinking rightly, where He gets the glory, for it is really all of His grace that we are saved, and that we persevere in godliness and faith until the end of our lives in this world.

It is well that you see and hold to the very foundation of our faith. Why not build upon that foundation with solid materials that will endure the storms and failures that will come? I know you are of that mind, anyway. But you asked the question.

it really boils all down to whether or not one was elected for salvation before the foundation of the world.
Indeed. But how can one ever know they are elect, apart from having first come to Christ, apprehending the mercy of God which is only to be found in Him?

One cannot know they are elect apart from seeking their refuge in Christ, and finding him to be their Rock of refuge. We don't discover we are elect, and then come to Christ because that's what elect people do.

By all means, be comforted about your election in Christ. It is indeed only by God's sovereign decree that you are not left to perish with the reprobate.

However, many people are absolutely convinced they are the elect of God, but have come to their conclusion by means of philosophy and self-centeredness, not by coming to Christ as sinners seeking a savior, and finding Him to be that Savior.

Before I begin, I would like to state that I was regenerated on 11/2/2022 so a tad over a year. With that being said, what I have noticed with all the discussion, albeit, sometimes intense discussions of eschatological views, Israel, Jews, etc.. it really boils all down to whether or not one was elected for salvation before the foundation of the world. Yes, it is a simplistic view but if one thinks about it, it does bare merit. Love to hear your views.

Are you saying that all doctrine really reduces to election? Or are you saying that one's understanding of the end times boils down to election?

Are you saying that all doctrine really reduces to election? Or are you saying that one's understanding of the end times boils down to election?
What I am saying is that with the differing eschatological views out there, one of them is sure to be correct. In addition, regardless of which is correct, it boils down to whether or not one has been elected for salvation.

Last edited:
What I am saying is that with the differing eschatological views out there, one of them is sure to be correct. In addition, regardless of which is correct, it boils down to whether or not one has been elected for salvation.
I suppose in one sense that is true, but if you apply that reasoning consistently, then there isn't any real reason to do theology at all, since all that matters is election.

I suppose in one sense that is true, but if you apply that reasoning consistently, then there isn't any real reason to do theology at all, since all that matters is election.
You do make a good point. However, one cannot do broad strokes in this case. If one is an unbeliever and/or a heretic, then it can be shown that they are not elected.. at least at the time of observation. One's eschatological view is simply their view of end times and how they interpret Scripture. Yet, there are those who state that one's eschatological view is a matter of salvation which is a false teaching.

You do make a good point. However, one cannot do broad strokes in this case. If one is an unbeliever and/or a heretic, then it can be shown that they are not elected.. at least at the time of observation. One's eschatological view is simply their view of end times and how they interpret Scripture. Yet, there are those who state that one's eschatological view is a matter of salvation which is a false teaching.

If that's true, then I am not sure why you posted this in eschatology. If your take on it is true, you can easily make the same argument for literally every other aspect of doctrine.

If one is an unbeliever and/or a heretic, then it can be shown that they are not elected.. at least at the time of observation.
It cannot be shown that they are not elected, only that they are an unbeliever at that time.

We cannot show that someone is not elected, period. Other than having knowledge that they died persisting in unbelief.

It cannot be shown that they are not elected, only that they are an unbeliever at that time.

We cannot show that someone is not elected, period. Other than having knowledge that they died persisting in unbelief.
That is why I stated "at the time of observation".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back