Since tomorrow is Halloween, can you recommend a good Puritan authored book on the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some history for you:

One of the chief auspicious days in old Irish paganism was Samhain (pronounced "Sawin"). One that day at the end of the harvest season, it was believed, evil spirits ("fairies") would come out of holes in the ground (such as "fairy mounds") and seize ordinary humans to take them down to the underworld. In order to avoid such a fate, the humans dressed up as monstrous figures in order to cause the fairies to think the humans were their own kind.

I wonder how far you would take this. (What about Classical or Chinese philosophy, for instance?)
I guess that would be on a case by case basis, you always should use discernment.

But you will still give them candy? With respect, that hardly seems consistent.
If a child shows up at my door I am not going to yell “REPENT” in their face and slam the door, I don’t think that would be the Christian response. But, my house is not decorated and my porch light is off. Two years ago I had a couple, last year none.

If you guys put a Jack Chick tract in some poor kid's basket, you'd better also put in a FULL size candy bar along with it. Just sayin'.....

If you guys put a Jack Chick tract in some poor kid's basket, you'd better also put in a FULL size candy bar along with it. Just sayin'.....

Too pricy. Tracts are cheaper.

Sometimes it's just good to let the Gospel do its own thing without any additives. As many poor kids tonight will testify.

I am not sure of your current cultural context, but in the States it is clear that this time of year celebrates the dead in more than a few aspects. Walk into any store or turn to any TV channel and it becomes extremely clear that a large part of the holiday, even for our modern society is obsessed with death, murder, superstition, and witchcraft. Sure there might be morally neutral things involved, but there is clearly an aspect that IS in fact a celebration of the dead. A denial of this might make me think one has lost their physical eye sight.
A celebration of the dead? Like the Día de los Muertos? Well, maybe not quite.

I do not deny that Halloween has gone very far overboard. See my earlier posts. The more recent worsening of the situation might be a very legitimate reason to avoid involvement.

It is true that where I am there's not a lot of the Halloween craze. I'm thankful for it.

A celebration of the dead? Like the Día de los Muertos? Well, maybe not quite.

Maybe you should reconsider this. In the states we have a rising Hispanic population as well. Outside of pure numbers, proof also lies in the fact that we now have radio and TV commercials in solely Spanish (no English). It is no surprise that we now see a blending in the Mexican "day of the dead" and America's Halloween. Seems to be a rather natural blending.:detective:

Example (Walmart's Homepage for Halloween):
https://www.walmart.com/cp/halloween/615760 Notice the skull design.

Maybe you should reconsider this. In the states we have a rising Hispanic population as well. Outside of pure numbers, proof also lies in the fact that we now have radio and TV commercials in solely Spanish (no English). It is no surprise that we now see a blending in the Mexican "day of the dead" and America's Halloween. Seems to be a rather natural blending.:detective:

Example (Walmart's Homepage for Halloween):
https://www.walmart.com/cp/halloween/615760 Notice the skull design.
Yuck. I hate all of it. Just weird, creepy stuff. Saw it in Canada, too, even when I was a kid. Makes you want nothing to do with Halloween, right? Certainly makes me feel that way. I'm just unwilling to say the wole package is necessarily bad.

I'm aware that as I live in Asia I am very far away from the Halloween heartland. In general you don't see the Halloween-themed excesses here.

I'm in Asia (Manila) and the Halloween excesses here far exceed anything I've ever seen in the US!

For several days now, children - as young as 3 or 4 - have been running around wearing the most ghoulish costumes -featuring blood and gore to a degree that they themselves wouldn't be allowed to witness in a movie theater! And the adults are no better, with parties and "functions" celebrating the macabre.

This weekend, everyone plans to hang out in the cemetery at the grave sites of loved ones. They will actually erect tents near the tombs and sleep there "with" the deceased. This is such a big public observance that the government shut down at noon today, and traffic through this, one of the biggest cities in the world, is all being rerouted to facilitate access to the city's largest cemeteries.

Death and the evils that often attend its violent occurrence reign supreme here this time of year.

Yuck. I hate all of it. Just weird, creepy stuff. Saw it in Canada, too, even when I was a kid. Makes you want nothing to do with Halloween, right? Certainly makes me feel that way. I'm just unwilling to say the wole package is necessarily bad.
My apologies, I forgot you are not in the States, the situation I describe is mostly the American phenomenon. I can understand that if you have never really seen it, you would not understand my aversion to it.

I just had some co-workers show up with (I am not kidding) two foot tall demon horns on their heads, and they will be serving customers that way. They also asked if I wanted to chip in for pizza to “celebrate”, I politely declined.

I see nothing redeeming about the night.
In a society where nobody is outside anymore to interact with their immediate neighbors, I kind of like having an established night where everyone gets out and goes door to door. If even for a brief moment, you get to face your neighbors and at least say "hi." They meet your kids, complement them on their costume, and give them a treat. You do the same to their kids.

Well, we're in the bullseye for severe weather tonight. Problem solved :)

I just can't see mixing light with dark.

We do however, buy up sale candy (meat sacrificed to idols!) on November 1, skip homeschool classes, and watch movies. (I'm thinking the original True Grit this year.)

I have to deal with enough witches in real life without celebrating them. I am staying up in Portrush at the minute and caught a glimpse of one of the UK morning TV shows in which real witches were being interviewed (yes, I am being serious). Satanism is out in the open nowadays and I for one want no part in it.

My apologies, I forgot you are not in the States, the situation I describe is mostly the American phenomenon. I can understand that if you have never really seen it, you would not understand my aversion to it.
I am Canadian, raised in Canada. I've seen all of it first-hand. I know that Halloween, on the one side, is taken to all sorts of vile excesses. But I've seen a much more innocent side too.

I think, honestly, that if I move to North America I might cease any participation in the day at all. I think I said that earlier. It would likely be a more effective witness.

I'm so far unwilling to say that Halloween is all bad. Just like heavy metal is not all bad, or women's trousers are not all bad. Some people put these things to bad uses, but they are not, necessarily, bad in and of themselves.

Honestly, the Puritans will so disgust to see modern society celebrate this popish and heathen festival. On this day 500 years ago, the Reformation set in motion a progression of science and spiritual enlightenment, whereas this celebration is all about darkness and cruelty under the guise of joy. I cannot think of any other event since the Pentecost that is so momentous as the day when Luther nailed his 95 thesis. And what people have done today is a disgrace to what the great Reformer set forth.

I am Canadian, raised in Canada. I've seen all of it first-hand. I know that Halloween, on the one side, is taken to all sorts of vile excesses. But I've seen a much more innocent side too.

I can tell you as a student in a Catholic school in Canada. The school, while professing to follow the teachings of Christ, can use a school hall to create a "House of Horrors" and filled with a zombie apocalypse scenario or a chain saw guy's cabin log on Friday night when the Commandments forbid murder.

Not only Halloween costumes are ghoulish and terrifying, they are sexually appealing as well, especially those designed for children.

Well, this year I hate Halloween because I'm on a diet. I bought a huge bag of candy to take to work for today, but I woke up with pain so I had to call in. Now it's sitting on my counter with those eyes and sticking its tongue out at me. I had ONE trick or treater at my door...one and I couldn't get up to give them candy. lol

Personally, I do not celebrate it at all. Even if the modern “fun” kids celebration seems innocent, its pagan, devilish and even Catholic history is enough for me to shun the day. I do have a little candy incase some kids come by, don’t want to be “that guy” either.

But since the Puritans lived in a time when the actual holiday was still openly pagan, what is a good book to read on the subject through their eyes?

You say you don’t celebrate it at all because it’s devilish, but you “do have a little candy in case some kids come by.” You don’t want to be “that guy” (presumably that fringe Christian guy who can’t assimilate into society), so what do you do? You keep “a little” (not a lot) of candy. You don’t celebrate the “devilish” holiday yet you give positive reinforcement (candy) to those who do.

Don’t take that as a criticism but rather a gentle challenge to refine your convictions and align your practice. Either don’t worry about being “that guy” and just be that guy, or in good conscience find a way to see the liberty of dressing up and going door to door.

You say you don’t celebrate it at all because it’s devilish, but you “do have a little candy in case some kids come by.” You don’t want to be “that guy” (presumably that fringe Christian guy who can’t assimilate into society), so what do you do? You keep “a little” (not a lot) of candy. You don’t celebrate the “devilish” holiday yet you give positive reinforcement (candy) to those who do.

Don’t take that as a criticism but rather a gentle challenge to refine your convictions and align your practice. Either don’t worry about being “that guy” and just be that guy, or in good conscience find a way to see the liberty of dressing up and going door to door.
I responded to this earlier:

“If a child shows up at my door I am not going to yell “REPENT” in their face and slam the door, I don’t think that would be the Christian response. But, my house is not decorated and my porch light is off. Two years ago I had a couple, last year none.”

Last night I only had one family come by with a few small children. Told them that they were my one and only and to dig in.... kids excited, I’m rid of the candy.

I did refuse to participate in the company pizza lunch, which surprisingly people understood because of my Christian ways and opened up small witness opportunity.

Westminster Standards: "Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued."

This view ought to be represented in this discussion. If you don't like it, argue against it from the Bible. Otherwise, spare us.

Westminster Standards: "Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued."

This view ought to be represented in this discussion. If you don't like it, argue against it from the Bible. Otherwise, spare us.
Is Halloween a "holy-day"?

I responded to this earlier:

“If a child shows up at my door I am not going to yell “REPENT” in their face and slam the door, I don’t think that would be the Christian response. But, my house is not decorated and my porch light is off. Two years ago I had a couple, last year none.”

Last night I only had one family come by with a few small children. Told them that they were my one and only and to dig in.... kids excited, I’m rid of the candy.

I did refuse to participate in the company pizza lunch, which surprisingly people understood because of my Christian ways and opened up small witness opportunity.

Yelling repent was never in view. Anyway, I’ll let you wrestle with calling it devilish and giving positive reinforcement with candy.

There has been an evolution of this day from its ghoulish and devilish origins to more "benign" costumes and practices that some believe makes it acceptable for Christians today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back