Sing the praise of victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:29:

Canst thou look on death and judgment as near at hand, and say, “I retain the same confidence and hope of eternal life, that I had when I thought these things were afar off?” The apostle therefore did express his faith extraordinarily, and professed it highly, when he sang, O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law: but thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory, through our Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Cor. 15:55-57. He reckons himself, by faith, as sure of the victory, as if already possessed of it. The believer can, by a strong faith, sing the praise of victory before the battle be half ended: for the apostle Paul had not yet known what death and the grave were; he knew them only by faith, and knew who had overcome death, and knew that he had an interest in him that had overcome both.

This is a well and good saying for adult converts. It also is good for those who never knew when they were first brought to faith. For when they look inward to see what they are without Jesus, they can see what a wretch they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back