Singing to a Heavy Heart - Proverbs 25:20 by Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings all,

This morning the Lord convicted me by this Proverb.

God has granted me a contented and cheerful heart most of the time, and for this, I am very grateful. Particularly because for many of my younger years I was often tormented greatly even when there was no outward reason.

But I see now that I times I have abused this privilege and hurt others. Particularly my own dear wife. I would be overbearing and insist that she consider Romans 8:28 and realize that all things work together for good and that it could cheer her heart. "The joy of the Lord is your strength," I would say. I actually did sing to her at times when she was quite sad. She even quoted this proverb to me once or twice, but I didn't take it to heart. I'm speaking of times when my exuberance was inappropriate. And for this, I am truly sorry and as soon as I hit 'Create Thread' will ask her forgiveness.

=======​

20. As he that taketh away a garment in cold weather, and as vinegar upon nitre, so is he that singeth songs to an heavy heart.

What could be more inhuman than taking away a poor man’s garment, or the coverlid of his bed, in cold weather? Such an act of cruelty was forbidden by the God of the poor.7 Again—what could be more unfitting than pouring vinegar upon nitre; which, instead of being serviceable, would only dissolve it with violent effervescence?8 Not less unseasonable would be the merriment of singing songs to an heavy heart.9 “Give wine”—is the inspired rule—“unto them that be of heavy hearts”10 But however great be the charms of music,11 they are ill-suited to sooth the pangs of sorrow.12 A constrained song was a keen edge of the Babylonish affliction.13 And where no unkindness is intended, inconsiderate levity, or even excessive cheerfulness, is as “a sword in the bones.” The tenderness, that shows a brother’s tears; that knows how to “weep with them that weep,”14 as members of the same body;15 and directs the mourner to the mourner’s friend and God—this is Christian sympathy—a precious balm for the broken heart.

The outward expression of this sympathy may not be always needful. But Oh! let its spirit be deeply cherished, specially by Christians of a buoyant or frigid temperament; most of all by the minister of Christ, that he may take his chair by the mourner’s side, and “comfort him with the same comfort, wherewith he himself is comforted of God.”1 Much may be done to correct a constitutional deficiency. Redundancy of feeling, however, needs self-control. But never let us forget that our Divine Saviour for this end “took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses,” that “he might be touched with the feeling of them.”2 Yes—“he knoweth our frame;”3 and his work is not to take away the garment from his child in the cold weather, but to cherish him with all the tenderness of his own bosom.4 Instead of unsuitably pouring vinegar upon nitre; like the good Samaritan, he “pours in his oil and wine for the healing of the wound.”5
7 Deut. 24:12, 17; Comp. Job. 24:7–10; Isa. 58:7
8 The nitre of Scripture is not that salt that commonly goes by the name, but a soda or mineral alkali (the Roman natrum), which strongly ferments with all acids. Dr. Blayney remarks on Jer. 2:22 (the only other example of the word)—‘In many parts of Asia it is called soap earth, because it is dissolved in water, and used like soap in washing.
9 Eccl. 3:4
10 Prov. 31:6; Comp. Ps. 104:15
11 1 Sam. 16:23; 2 Kings 3:15
12 Job. 30:31; Dan. 6:18; Comp. Ecclus. 22:6
13 Ps. 137:1–4
14 Rom. 12:15; Comp. Job 2:11–13
15 1 Cor. 12:26; Heb. 13:3
1 2 Cor. 1:4–6
2 Matt. 8:17; Heb. 4:15
3 Ps. 103:14
4 Isa. 40:11
5 Isa. 61:2, 3; with Luke 10:34

Bridges, C. (1865). An Exposition of the Book of Proverbs (pp. 403–404). New York: Robert Carter & Brothers.

Last edited:
A good word, Ed. Your wifey will appreciate it I know. How good the Lord is, he continues his gracious work in us even into old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back