Slain in the spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely concocted; possibly demonic; never legitimate.

Some questions for any who would question the legitimacy of this movement:

1 Where are there any biblical examples of "being slain in the spirit"?

2. Where do the scriptures define what it means to be "slain in the spirit"?

3. Where in all the historic teachings of the apostolic church of Jesus Christ do we find anything about being slain in the spirit?

If we cannot find scriptural examples, nor scriptural warrant, nor even where the historic church of Jesus Christ has held such a doctrine, then why would we even consider such today?

[Edited on 4-18-2004 by Dan....]

Possibly demonic; never legitimate of the Holy Spirit; many times psychological manipulation induced (99%); always by false teachers/false prophets; always an embarrassment to Christianity; and always LAME! :lb:

Slain in the spirit

Concocted and demonic.

They may be slain by the spirit, but not by the Holy one.

It is interesting that all the times people fell over in the Bible it was always on their face, except when it was in judgment.

They always say that it is just something that the Holy Spirit does that surpases our knowledge.

Alot of it is hypnotism and what not. The ocultist hypnotists were the first to practice it.

I used to see this everyweek. I used to get slain and a number of times I actually slain people. Though most of the times I was the "catcher." It is sad that a "catcher" is actually a ministry position in the church.

Most of the time the people get pushed over. It is pitiful actually trying to justify that in your mind: that you got pushed over and yet at the same time the Holy Spirit did it.

It is certainly the devil's work.

:( Rembrandt

[quote:6422800bdd][i:6422800bdd]Originally posted by Dan....[/i:6422800bdd]
Definitely concocted; possibly demonic; never legitimate.

Some questions for any who would question the legitimacy of this movement:

1 Where are there any biblical examples of "being slain in the spirit"?

2. Where do the scriptures define what it means to be "slain in the spirit"?

3. Where in all the historic teachings of the apostolic church of Jesus Christ do we find anything about being slain in the spirit?

If we cannot find scriptural examples, nor scriptural warrant, nor even where the historic church of Jesus Christ has held such a doctrine, then why would we even consider such today?

[Edited on 4-18-2004 by Dan....] [/quote:6422800bdd]
You are right here. But they would try to glean these proofs from scriptures like Isaiah, Ezekial, or Daniel, where they fall down before God. But this really doesn't prove anything since they fell because they were terrified of God. Not because the were overwhelmed by the power or love of God as charasmatics try to allege. The prophets feared for their lives becuase they realized they were sinners standing before the Most Holy God and deserved to die. Most charasmatics would be appalled at thinking of God in such a way.

Those who do this also use the text from where Jesus in the garden being arrested said, "I AM" and the people coming to arrest Him fell back.

But it is a self inflicted physchological event, or possibly demonic. Really it is just stupid!

Phillip

Wasn't it Edwards who wrote in his [i:bb00d1c8cf]Affections[/i:bb00d1c8cf] that he knew no reason why someone wouldn't faint under the spirit? I'd give you an exact quote and reference but my copy is in the hands of another.

[quote:21dd2bb7a4][i:21dd2bb7a4]Originally posted by puritansailor[/i:21dd2bb7a4]

You are right here. But they would try to glean these proofs from scriptures like Isaiah, Ezekial, or Daniel, where they fall down before God. But this really doesn't prove anything since they fell because they were terrified of God. Not because the were overwhelmed by the power or love of God as charasmatics try to allege. The prophets feared for their lives becuase they realized they were sinners standing before the Most Holy God and deserved to die. Most charasmatics would be appalled at thinking of God in such a way. [/quote:21dd2bb7a4]

Also notice, folks who fall down before God and the Angels in scripture fall on their faces in submission. All these "slain in the spirit demons" are making folks fall backwards.

Dont know if it means anything. Just kind of noticed.

Isnt really just a matter of pride and manipulation. These 'men' manipulate these people with false doctrine, and put them in a position of complete vulnerability some or msot of these people come from troubling backgrounds and are ussually lower middle class or low class allthough there are some who are high middle - middle. Still this is a thing that is wrong and manilpulates peoples affections. But those who fall for this are equally responsible for not testing the spirits.

blade

[quote:d8c3269ada][i:d8c3269ada]Originally posted by Richard B. Davis[/i:d8c3269ada]
Wasn't it Edwards who wrote in his [i:d8c3269ada]Affections[/i:d8c3269ada] that he knew no reason why someone wouldn't faint under the spirit? I'd give you an exact quote and reference but my copy is in the hands of another. [/quote:d8c3269ada]
I think he did too, but if I remember right, he thought it happened only to those of such weak bodily constitution that the weight of conviction boar so heavily upon them that their bodies just couldn't take it. I wish I could remember the reference though.

[quote:b8bdaee506][i:b8bdaee506]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:b8bdaee506]
got slain again tonight [/quote:b8bdaee506]
Were you watching Benny Hinn at the time?
"This is your day!" :wr51:

[Edited on 4-19-2004 by puritansailor]

[quote:4d0422b080][i:4d0422b080]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:4d0422b080]
no, I took classes and learned how to do it myself...I also read a book, ever heard of it--- "Slaying in the spirit for dummies"?

Now I am not that good but I have been able to knock myself from the kitchen to the dinning room...I'm shooting for the hallway:roll: [/quote:4d0422b080]

I guess it is kinda hard to wave your arm (or your expensive white suit jacket) at your self. :lb:

"oops, I hit the dog by accident... Hold on Fifi, the seizure like activity will stop in a minute...." :help:

[quote:2b7230937a][i:2b7230937a]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:2b7230937a]
well I ordered the hand attachment that wraps around your waist...one click of the hand held button and a plastic hand comes up and smacks me in the forhead....slaying in the spirit is hightech now....looks like your not keeping up Patrick [/quote:2b7230937a]
Guess I am a little old school. I still use Wesson Vegetable oil for annointing oil! :bs2:

Ain't you folks been sanctified yet?

Rembrandt it's slay, slew, slain. You didn't "slain" anybody, you slew.

This whole thread just slays me!:biggrin:

[quote:d8405e1681]
Guess I am a little old school. I still use Wesson Vegetable oil for annointing oil!
[/quote:d8405e1681]

Patrick, you know you can get a case of "anointing oil" from Paul and Jan when you send in your "love gift".

BTW Paul, do you have a "catcher" when you slay yourself? I would think if you get slain without one you could end up busting your head open and there wouldn't be an Apostle around to heal you, or have you learned to heal yourself?

[quote:b2be22da68]
you could end up busting your head open and there wouldn't be an Apostle around to heal you
[/quote:b2be22da68]

This is not a problem...

Dump out some of that anointing oil into a puddle on the floor and bless it in advance...then when you fall over, make sure your head lands in the puddle of oil.

Did you ever wonder why this bouncy -> :banghead: is able to smack his head against the wall so many times without getting hurt? ...if you look real closely you will see a yellow splatter of anointing oil splattering all over the wound on his head each time he hits.

:banghead::banghead:

[quote:88459e1804]
you could end up busting your head open and there wouldn't be an Apostle around to heal you
[/quote:88459e1804]

This is not a problem...

Dump out some of that anointing oil into a puddle on the floor and bless it in advance...then when you fall over, make sure your head lands in the puddle of oil.

Did you ever wonder why this bouncy -> :banghead: is able to smack his head against the wall so many times without getting hurt? ...if you look real closely you will see a yellow splatter of anointing oil splattering all over the wound on his head each time he hits.

:banghead::banghead:

[quote:92c0aa3152][i:92c0aa3152]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:92c0aa3152]
:tv:

"and if you send in your seed gift on $10,000 we will send you 2 paper prayer rugs to pray over and send to Paul and Jan and we will send out an anointing. We will show you how your name is mentioned in the old testament by using bible code hermeneutics. We will cast out 3 demons, PLUS, a fourth one at no extra charge. We will send you some water that you pray over, stick under your pillow, do the hokey-pokey in the morining, and you will be relieved of the arthritas demon. And, as an added bonus, we will raise three deas loved ones if you sit them on the couch next to you during the Rev. Benny Hinn's special "raising" ceremony...."

(seriously, all these things I have heard before. I even called in to get the "miracle water" that heals your infirmities too se if they would really send it. I then got bombarded by letters asking for my "seed gift" And, "did the water work!" ) [/quote:92c0aa3152]

How is this any different than indulgences? In fact it is worse. People are sending in money to get undemonized. They lack patience, because back in the day people were paying this kind of stuff to get out of thousands of years of hell!

Some years ago during a Catholic charasmatic service I went to, near the end of the service people formed a line to go up to the front of the church to have the minister touch them and they would fall backwards. There were 2 or 3 people who would catch them when they fell backward and ease them to the floor. When it was my turn, the minister touched me but nothing happened. I simply went back to my seat and watched while most everybody else was on the floor;(there may have been 2 or 3 like myself that did not go to the floor).

Would to God that people were truly slain in the Spirit. The modern charismania has wordnapped the term. Historically, being slain in the Spirit meant to be so overcome by conviction of sin and the power, majestey, glory, and holiness of God that one collapsed under the weight of one's burden. I would welcome that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back